SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default ABS trouble codes ?

Is there a list of 'em somewhere?
I just got the evil grinding noise fixed in my '93, turned out it was a RF wheel bearing and an alignment to get the wheel straightened. It had been randomly failing the ABS self test, less when reversing but sill did it. The guy doing the bearing saw the ABS light come on while test driving it and panicked, got me the codes and I was curious as to what the rest of the codes are and get a readable description of the ones I have. The shop owner (who could read the guys writing...) said the codes probably stemmed from the bearing allowing the axle to move out of the sensor's range.

I can read the #'s and parts of the descriptions so I can see that the OBDI code 24 is NOT the ABS code 24 that my '93 had...
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: ABS trouble codes ?

I'll have to look those up. They would only be retrievable with a scan tool and not by the paper clip method. Are you sure they werent just running the regular codes?
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

What I can read of the first code [24] it says something about RF wheel sensor not doing such and such correctly, according to your chart 24 is supposed to be the VSS signal is missing (speedometer works fine...).
Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

So I meant 22, not 24. Either way your OBDI chart isn't at all the same as ABS codes (nor is the transaxle codes).
Mine are:
22 RF Wheel Speed is MPH (WTF does that mean?)
36 System Voltage Low (battery reads 12.4v engine off, 14.5v engine idling)
54 Rear Axle in Release too soon (short at left or right speed sensor?)
86 ABS/TCS is turned on and warning lamp (not all the time, just once in a while)
87 red brake lamp circuit open or short to Bt (?????)
94 brake switch circuit shorted (maybe I need a brake switch too, probably broke the current one when them wires went up in smoke)
111 TCS warning lamp active circuit (STUPID thing, it's not "TCS active", its "up-shift time"... )
114 TCS enable relay contact circuit open (?)
116 TCS enable relay coil circuit open(?)

Sounds like I need someone to send me the TCS button (got rid of the original one) and/or I need to put the original PCM back in it. Currently has the original ABS controller and a '94 SC2 (verified 127ish mph limiter last night...) 5spd (up-shift light works)PCM.

Any of these indicate an actual problem with the brakes that I should be worried about, or should I just be aware that it won't "Anti-Lock" when the ABS light is on?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

So there's this list of ABS codes (http://www.greatautohelp.com/dtc/absdtc.html) that's not really any more helpful, though it does clarify some of the questions I had with what the mechanic wrote down, yet it doesn't go above 95 so I can't do anything with the TCS stuff.

Then there's this (http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bl315a-lib.htm) showing the "A" pin for ground and an "H" for brake sense speed input. Does grounding H to A make the ABS light flash the codes?

I don't think my '93 with OBDI has the H pin to connect to anyway but if it does...
Old 06-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
So I meant 22...22 RF Wheel Speed is MPH...
Any of these indicate an actual problem with the brakes that I should be worried about, or should I just be aware that it won't "Anti-Lock" when the ABS light is on?
I think its safe to say that when the ABS light is ON while driving, its telling you that ABS isn't available due to internal issues so the ABS controller, from smart safety engineering, is programmed to default by disabling ABS. Lack of ABS simply means you're braking just as you were before ABS was invented; brakes work as they always have, requiring the same attitude for using them before and after ABS became standardized as enhancements to braking, including hard braking leading to brake lock-up and skidding. All ABS will do is prevent brakes from locking up and allowing steering control to choose where to crash if poor driving attitude still prevails.

Maybe the code 22 means the RF wheel speed sensor is faulty, the wiring faulty or the 'teeth' on the hub are broken/missing and correcting this fault will correct, extinguish and return ABS back to operation. Just my 2-cents.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

So would removing the wheel allow enough sight to the axle to see the notches?
I'll check it out tomorrow anyway, hopefully the rain stays away
Old 06-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
So would removing the wheel allow enough sight to the axle to see the notches?
I'll check it out tomorrow anyway, hopefully the rain stays away
Dont even have to remove the wheel. Just lift that side of the car and turn the wheel and poke your head in there. You could probably do it without lifting the car up.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote