SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-16-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
Skittles2
Skittles2 is on a distinguished road

Default Hit deer, driver side mirror broke off, wire harness torn off

Hit a deer with my driver side mirror and it tore my mirror off. Easy enough repair but I noticed it also took the wire harness with it (the one which connects to the car). Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

edit: car is a 2002 saturn SL1

Last edited by Skittles2; 11-16-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Skittles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Hit deer, driver side mirror broke off, wire harness torn off

It looks like the individual wire connectors are intact - it simplybtook off the plastic holder.

You should be able to stick the male ends into the female connector on the mirror. Then use Gorilla tape to keep the wires aligned and separated...
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Looks like it'll be faster to get it off a parts car, should be the same '96-'02. Or Shove them into the mirror side as onlinebiker suggests.

You'll probably give me the same look the Autozone guy did when I complained about their $5 3-pin weatherpack pigtail being $40 when you can get a 10pk plus the crimper, pins and wire for $30 but anyway...here goes...lol :

Pretty sure the mirror side is >this connector< which makes the car side >this connector< but I'm not finding that exact style connector in a ready to go pigtail, the site sells all the parts needed to build the pigtail...just not one assembled.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

There are wire "tangs" on the metal pins that hold the pin in the plastic connector. Chances are that those tangs are either bent backward, or broken off completely.

You'll need to bend them back into place to make them stay in the connector, IF they're still there. If they're broken off, there really is no way to make the pins stay in the plastic.

So, I suggest that you hit the wrecking yard, and grab a replacement mirror, connector, and about 4-6 inches of the wires to the connector. Then you're likely going to cut the existing pins off your wiring harness, and splice in the replacement parts from the wrecking yard.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:32 AM   #5
Skittles2
Skittles2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
It looks like the individual wire connectors are intact - it simplybtook off the plastic holder.

You should be able to stick the male ends into the female connector on the mirror. Then use Gorilla tape to keep the wires aligned and separated...
Hmm, got a wiring guide for the mirror?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Looks like it'll be faster to get it off a parts car, should be the same '96-'02. Or Shove them into the mirror side as onlinebiker suggests.

You'll probably give me the same look the Autozone guy did when I complained about their $5 3-pin weatherpack pigtail being $40 when you can get a 10pk plus the crimper, pins and wire for $30 but anyway...here goes...lol :

Pretty sure the mirror side is >this connector< which makes the car side >this connector< but I'm not finding that exact style connector in a ready to go pigtail, the site sells all the parts needed to build the pigtail...just not one assembled.
Hmmm, here's the mirror and the connector that came with it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E35WMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonIII View Post
There are wire "tangs" on the metal pins that hold the pin in the plastic connector. Chances are that those tangs are either bent backward, or broken off completely.

You'll need to bend them back into place to make them stay in the connector, IF they're still there. If they're broken off, there really is no way to make the pins stay in the plastic.

So, I suggest that you hit the wrecking yard, and grab a replacement mirror, connector, and about 4-6 inches of the wires to the connector. Then you're likely going to cut the existing pins off your wiring harness, and splice in the replacement parts from the wrecking yard.

Preston
What do the tangs look like?

And yeah, I need to find a junkyard which will actually let me take parts off cars. None by me
Skittles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:12 AM   #6
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

The wires should match color coding.

That is - the existing wiring and the new mirror.
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles2 View Post
And yeah, I need to find a junkyard which will actually let me take parts off cars. None by me
You should put your general location in your profile (or post in this thread if you don't want to be bothered to do that )

Someone else in your area may know of one, or know somebody who is parting out a car/has extra parts

edit: also, noticed you've been a member since 2015 but this thread is your first post. Cool!
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:22 PM   #8
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

Look at and compare all the pins you have. Chance are there will be differences in the tangs as they've all been jerked out of the plastic.

The tangs are like spikes that stick out into the plastic, that allow you to push the pin INTO the plastic, but wont let you pull it back out.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote