SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-06-2021, 08:54 PM   #1
w2zia
w2zia is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
Default MP7 Transmission Lost All Gears

The car is a 1995 SW2 with 50k miles and sadly an automatic trans. Bought it from a guy who had stored it on a concrete pad since 2007. Extremely clean car! I put a rebuilt automatic transmission in about a year ago after the original trans was grenaded by the differential pin exiting and blowing open the side of the casing. I have about 6,800 miles on this new rebuilt transmission with no issues until now.

Was just leaving work the other day and on acceleration in a lower gear the trans suddenly slipped and engine rpm went to the sky. I backed off on the throttle and it shifted up to 3rd or 4th. I was able to drive maybe a mile down the road after this initially happened and it progressively lost engagement on all gears. After parking it, letting it cool and restarting, I found that it would make a "clunk" noise when shifting into reverse which I believe is the reverse clutch harshly actuating. And, it will not do anything when moving the shifter between N, D,3,2. Increasing engine RPM in gear does not get it to move either.

Trailered it home and dug into it today:

Shifter adjustment is spot on and the linkage works. Neutral safety switch functions. Fuses all check good with ohm meter for line pressure solenoid, PCMA, and PCMB. Resistance across all 5 solenoids in the valve body measure 5 ohms. Measured line pressure with gauge as 60psi in park and neutral and over 200psi in R, D, 3, and 2. Disassembled valve body and everything was in great shape. All plungers and springs were movable and in place. Fluid in the trans is extremely clean and bright red as it should be. No metal or dirt in the fluid. Inspection of trans gears with valve body off revealed nothing. Everything spins freely inside with the wheels off the ground and parking pawl released.

Any ideas on what could've failed so that there is no movement in any gear forward or reverse? Any explanation for the sudden bang into reverse now and seemingly very high line pressure? The way it stopped working I believe this to be a mechanical failure of some kind. Blown out seal internally? Any and all wisdom much appreciated
w2zia is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: MP7 Transmission Lost All Gears

Who rebuilt the transmission?
"IF" a trans shop, then, is it still under warranty?
Here in VA, the local trans guys give us 3-year 36K mileage warranty.
But even if your shop did the work and only gave a 12 month/12K mileage warranty, you still might be in luck with them.....

But did you do the rebuild?

You say sadly it had an automatic.
My first Satty was a 1998 SW2. I sold that one with over 200K on it and trans worked great (although I did do the Wolfman reverse slam cure trick about every 30K to stave off the devil).
I sold it to a co-worker who to my knowledge, has no trans issues to this day.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Check to see if your driveshaft has failed. Usually it is the passenger side. The car won't go anywhere but will shift through the gears. Happened on my 5 speed Saturn once.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
w2zia

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Who rebuilt the transmission?
"IF" a trans shop, then, is it still under warranty?
Here in VA, the local trans guys give us 3-year 36K mileage warranty.
But even if your shop did the work and only gave a 12 month/12K mileage warranty, you still might be in luck with them.....

But did you do the rebuild?

You say sadly it had an automatic.
My first Satty was a 1998 SW2. I sold that one with over 200K on it and trans worked great (although I did do the Wolfman reverse slam cure trick about every 30K to stave off the devil).
I sold it to a co-worker who to my knowledge, has no trans issues to this day.
Purchased it without warranty on Craigslist from a guy who had a few lying around that he had rebuilt by a trans shop years ago so no I did not rebuild it.

I'm gonna say you were lucky to go 200k without issues and I'm just unlucky to have two good trannys fail without beating on them!

I am comfortable with disassembly and repairing this trans myself just wondering if anyone here has insight or experience on what failed internally.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
w2zia

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Check to see if your driveshaft has failed. Usually it is the passenger side. The car won't go anywhere but will shift through the gears. Happened on my 5 speed Saturn once.
I checked the rotating assembly and axles are good. Everything inside the trans also spins freely and looks good
Old 09-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2zia View Post
I checked the rotating assembly and axles are good. Everything inside the trans also spins freely and looks good
The axle usually fails without any apparent carnage. I think both ends are captured by the intermediate bearing. I'd jack up one side of the car at a time and see if you can spin the wheel while in park. If you can turn the wheel by hand, then the input shaft to the transmission needs to be spinning too.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I think the ISN (Input Shaft Nut) is a good possibility. That can be checked/corrected with the trans still in the car.

If the axles, diff pin, and ISN are all OK; then time to pull the VB and do some air-checks.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
w2zia

1995 SW2

That test has been completed and axles are good. Took input shaft speed sensor off before also and checked that the input shaft does indeed spin. Issue is internal to transmission. Anyone rebuild these and have any ideas?
Old 09-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
w2zia

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I think the ISN (Input Shaft Nut) is a good possibility. That can be checked/corrected with the trans still in the car.

If the axles, diff pin, and ISN are all OK; then time to pull the VB and do some air-checks.
VB was off and air checks moved the fork and engaged the clutches. Will pull side cover and check the ISN next
Old 09-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #10
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Do you have an IPB? Also, I'll try to attach a "cross-section" diagram of the TAAT. It isn't terribly useful, but may help.

No, the diagram would not attach, probably too large a file. PM me with your private email and I will send it that way, if you want

Here is one IPB, and another site that has similar

https://www.wittrans.com/parts?type=TAAT

https://www.natpronet.com/makes-iframe.html

Last edited by billr; 09-07-2021 at 07:51 PM.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:57 AM   #11
w2zia

1995 SW2

billr - Thank you for the info but I don't think that is necessary...

Input shaft nut is good and tight. The countershaft feed tube was cracked off at the mounting seal. Finding that led me to look for the cause... shining a flashlight down the countershaft revealed it broke somewhere near the 4th clutch bearing.

Although I could source a new countershaft out and rebuild it, I think for the same amount of labor and cost (perhaps even less) I can put in a 5 speed. I'm thinking that will be the route I choose. Gives me an opportunity to drive a stick a little more :-) Thank you all for the help!
Old 09-11-2021, 12:19 AM   #12
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2zia View Post
billr - Thank you for the info but I don't think that is necessary...

Input shaft nut is good and tight. The countershaft feed tube was cracked off at the mounting seal. Finding that led me to look for the cause... shining a flashlight down the countershaft revealed it broke somewhere near the 4th clutch bearing.

Although I could source a new countershaft out and rebuild it, I think for the same amount of labor and cost (perhaps even less) I can put in a 5 speed. I'm thinking that will be the route I choose. Gives me an opportunity to drive a stick a little more :-) Thank you all for the help!
I manual swapped my 95 Sl2 and it was a great decision instead of troubleshooting the auto trans. Already thinking about doing it to my 1995 SW2 as well, just miss driving stick. Good luck and happy shifting!
1994 Sl2 5spd First Car, Stock: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd: Retired Daily, Not Stock: 192,000
1998 Sl2 5spd: Family Car, Stock :135,000
1995 SW2 4spd: Daily, Stock: 91,000
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote