SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-15-2021, 08:59 PM   #1
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1
Default Suddenly no blower fan

Ugh, of course I just get the A/C recharged and now my blower fan has quit.

Here's what I know/did:

One of the leads on the relay looks like it melted and the lead itself was loose.

The plug for that same lead is also melted.

I bought a new relay and made sure it makes a proper connection.

The relay clicks when I turn the fan on high, but fan does not turn.

The HVAC fuse is good.

The rest of the A/C system starts, both the radiator fan and the compressor clutch.

I can bench test the fan and it runs.

I did a continuity test on the ground under the dash and it's good.

This is where I stopped because I have to work really early in the morning. I'm thinking the power wire might be bad because one of the previous owners had replaced the (melted) lead to the relay and tied it to the purple wire and it may have failed somewhere under the dash. My next test is to run a wire from there, bypassing the purple wire just to see if it's getting power (I don't have a small enough lead on my multimeter to test for continuity).

What voltage should I be getting at the plug for the fan and what else can I look for? Could the HVAC control have shorted out?
Check out my current SL1!

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268456
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Suddenly no blower fan

12vdc.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

Finally got to look deeper into the problem. I wasn't getting power to the fan from the relay, though the relay works fine.

The pin that sends power from the relay to the fan wasn't making contact somehow. I'm thinking because of the previous relay that was arcing must have caused it to get some junk in there and clog up the metal or something like that.

I pulled the fuse box out to the driver side so I wouldn't have to walk around each side of the car to test and I FINALLY got a continuity beep when I started poking around inside it.

At this point I think I might take it into one of the local shops to have them open up the fuse box and put a new wire and connector in because my confidence isn't quite that high to pull the back off and replace it myself. I'm sure it's easy, but I only have today to work on it and then back to work for the rest of the week, ugh.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I encourage you to do this repair yourself, even if you have to wait a while until more time is available. Similar problems might pop up again in that fuse/relay panel, as well as the UHJB. They are not that uncommon, especially if somebody has been poking test leads or jumpers into those female contacts. The contacts can get enlarged, making poor contact, but can be fairly easily bent back into shape or simply replaced. It isn't a particularly tricky job, but will probably cost quite a bit in a shop. Repairing those type contacts would be a skill you may use again-and-again
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Well, my confidence jumped up a bit and I decided to just go for it. I learned some things along the way too. For instance, you don't HAVE to pull the fuses out of the box to pull the back off.

One thing I noticed was that I could actually see the lead through the side of the fuse box, there was a slight open area there and if I pushed down on the lead, I could get a beep from my multi-meter showing continuity, so I knew that was where my problem was.

I've never worked on a fuse box before and I thought it was just straight from the fuse to the wire, I never realized it was a big plug in the back of the box (or maybe that's just this one?). That being said, I DID snap a pic of the fuse placements before pulling them. The diagram is nice to have for spot checking, but a color picture is a 1000 times better.

Also a note, I made sure the battery was disconnected while doing this, not a bad idea in case of a short while working.

Pic 1: What I found when I pulled it out was the plug for the power wire has been folded in half and was jammed up inside the housing of the fuse box. The picture was taken after I had straightened it. This plug is what plugs into the back of the fuse box itself to make a connection with the fuses/relays.

Pic 2: Just a reference shot for those wondering what to expect if they take the back of the fuse box off. You don't have to remove the fuses to do this. Note the purple wire, that is the power wire for the fan. The red wire must have been whoever worked on it before.

Pic 3: Showing the reinstalled plug, cleaned up any plastic that might have been in the way.

Pic 4: Side view of the same area that melted. Note that I put some shrink tubing around the wire to cover up any potential grounding issues (not likely, but always best to be safe).

Once I got the plug back in, I reinstalled the back of the fuse box, plugged the fuses and relays back in, reconnected the battery, and started the car. Car started with no issues. I then proceeded to test the connection by pressing the wires together with my fingers to make sure the fan turned on.

I then turned everything off and crimped the ends of the wires together and tested everything again. I let the car run for about 10mins with the blower and A/C on high and all the while the power wire and relay were warm, but never so hot that you can't touch them and melt plastic. It feels like the blower is running faster too, might just be a placebo effect of knowing the connection is better, but it just seemed like it was blowing harder. Possible since the relay was getting a LOT of resistance and even arcing on the metal.

Even better, once I did all this, the relay also seems to be seated better. Before I could touch it and wiggle it around, making it click on and off, but now it stays silent if I try to move it around.

I'm going to continue to monitor the connections, but at this point I think I can call this project done and I can get back to enjoying the newly recharged A/C and having my defrost for those cool, dewy mornings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuse1.jpg (95.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Fuse2.jpg (132.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Fuse3.jpg (207.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Fuse4.jpg (109.6 KB, 10 views)