saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-12-2017, 04:00 AM   #1
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL
Default R.I.P. My Satty. 45mph side collision

Had a rough day this last Wednesday. New Mercedes blew a red light and hit me in the drivers side front fender doing about 45mph. I'm a bit beat up and I'm having a lot of pain from my shoulder hit the b-pillar. Should take a week or 2 to heal up and settle down.

Could have been much worse. Satty absorbed the force and crumple zones took over. Even with the hit the doors open and close smoothly. No encroachment on the passengers compartment.

Obviously not fixable. May part out or find a donor body. I'll make that call once I see if the engine survived the impact.

Pic upload isn't working. I'll see if I can get them in my gallery.
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: R.I.P. My Satty. 45mph side collision

So much of that s&*t going on these days (running red lights). People are so self absorbed and so self entitled they feel traffic signals are not for them but someone else. Good you're ok. Don't settle too quickly. If person had a Benz they can afford to take care of you.
Wish we had cameras on every intersection and REALLY stiff fines (like maybe $500) for running lights and stop signs
2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Good thing you're OK. I second that if they can afford a new Merc they can afford to get you taken care of.
Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Was the person going over the speed limit? Why did they run the light?
1999 SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)
1999 SC1-156K at purchase(oct 2016)-215k(Oct 2019)
1996 SL2-116k- (oct 2019)
Dodging potholes should be a sport
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
Ricketts
Ricketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of light

2000 SC1

Texting and driving is so bad here...there is probably a pretty high possibility the Benz driver was updating their facebook status or something
2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

The price of the other Guy's car has no bearing on what you'll receive as compensation. Hopefully he/she is insured and don't say you'll be fine in a few weeks because you can't predict the future. Keep an eye on your injuries and keep track of medical visits. etc.
Glad you are alive.
• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Bummer about the car but glad you are relatively unscathed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
The price of the other Guy's car has no bearing on what you'll receive as compensation.
Especially here in MI where we have no fault insurance (your own insurance co takes care of your damages)

There's an exception for "mini tort" - OP can sue the other driver for up to $1,000 damages. These generally start out in small claims so cost to OP will be relatively low, and if MB driver has money, may not fight it
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/c...06_25091_7.pdf
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

I only received $500.
The tow to my house (1/2 mile) was $150. The destroyed pumpkin muffler (less than a year old) was $300.
http://s995.photobucket.com/user/bum...ml?sort=2&o=29
I spoke with Daily Law Firm (heard on WJR) and since no one was hurt, it was not worth doing anything. A attorney there said $500 was the MiniTort.
My lower back fully recovered. Took several years. Once or twice, it took me 20 minutes to walk down the stairs. Hang in there.

NoWhere-vile, Population: You

Last edited by bumpdraft; 03-13-2017 at 12:31 PM.
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Don't be too quick to sign off. My daughter is still in physical therapy from the rear ender she had in my SL2 last September. Still cannot move her head enough to look up. If you look at my posts you'll see this was not a a terribly severe or very high speed collision. But based on the angle she was hit, how the car was "thrown" by the much heavier Jeep and the secondary collision it took to the front end as it went over a 10" high curb she got banged around pretty well. Enough that when she was unable to feel her hand and fingers the policeman on scene called for an ambulance for her even though she was only about 800' away from the E-Room entrance of the nearby hospital.
So you can't be too sure.
2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
I only received $500. . . . A attorney there said $500 was the MiniTort.
It increased from $500 to $1,000, on Oct 1, 2012. I didn't know about that (or had forgotten) until today, when I googled the amount

Back when my wife got hit in her minivan, I remember it being a smaller number so I googled to be sure.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Glad you are OK.

If you haven't done so already you need to get checked out at the hospital or at the least with your doctor. Here in Florida, you have a fixed time line to get checked out. After that, tough!

Although you have insurance and the other driver presumably has, you need to speak with an attorney as well. Don't think your Auto Insurance company will fight your corner. I am sure the Merc driver will be lawyered up.

In this situation think about yourself and NO-ONE else.

You have lost your vehicle, you have sustained injury which, by the sounds of it you haven't done anything about getting checked out, you may be off work as a result and that could be lost wages, especially if the injury comes back to haunt you. You also have inconvenience as well as a result of this dumb and dangerous driver.

Down here in Florida, we have loads of red light runners and uninsured drivers.Cities installed red Light Camera's but they have lost law suits over the legality of them (they have a Texas company manage for them), so now they are removing them all. The red light runners must think it's Christmas!!!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #12
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Bummer about the car but glad you are relatively unscathed Especially here in MI where we have no fault insurance (your own insurance co takes care of your damages)
And this is a worry about crossing the state line (15 min from my house) no fault is stupid as all get out....

Sad to hear about, SOHC 3rd gen (from your sig) is what we are looking for now? (do you have a preference, can keep a look down here for something with blown motor or trans)
Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:46 PM   #13
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

At least you came through it without major human damage. Cars can be replaced.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by velleguy73 View Post
...Pic upload isn't working. I'll see if I can get them in my gallery.
Try using an old Windows PC and limit the maximum width. Pictures will upload flawlessly. While doing so, beware of ne'er-do-well hackers but do not let them crush your will to use the Amazing Internet
Old 03-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #15
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

k I think the pictures are here

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

now. used a PC vs my Iphone.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

image6.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

Tough Car. She did her job as designed quite well. Took one for the team to keep my injuries to a minimum. I find out this week if my shoulder rotator cuff is torn from the impact. lots of pain still. all in all, I'm chaliking it up as fortunate. could have been a lot worse.

looks like powertrain survived. haven't decided what to do with her yet. either buy a shell with a blown motor and swap everything or part out.

Prior to my bad day, I would venture this was one of the nicest saturns in existence. She was the best of about 7 Saturn when I overhauled her.

- 60k miles on an original engine from a little old lady wreck. I had it shipped from Washington state to Detroit with 8k miles. Factory motor that burns no oil. very few of our satty's can say that.
- 1 of 1000 SL2 10th anniversary interriors in black leather.
- converted to rear disc brake pre-98 factory reman parts.
- adapted mini cooper rims. only had to take 1 mm of hub bore out for them to fit.
- tires had less than 10k miles on them. syspension was 100% rebuilt 20k miles ago. all wheel bearings are new.
- trunk from an SL2 that happened to be the same color.
- brand new exhaust with a new CAT
- transplant factory foglamp wiring and hardware with ebay reman factory foggers.
- rear view mirror from a mazda 3 with compass/temp/autodom/homelink. - that I'm keeping.
- adapted plug in harness for a 2006 Chrysler RB1 navigation head unit. I have a lifetime Sirius unit that I move around depending what car I'm driving.

if anyone near south east Michigan wants the car or any parts shoot me an email. she is in my garage chilling until if figure out what my next steps are.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #17
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Depending on how you feel about building another one, those parts are too good to sell. There are bodies down south with zero rust anywhere, but with wrecked engines and interiors.
I just scrapped a 2002 SL1, but it was bent with a rusted body.
We're glad you're okay.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #18
Sh1tb0xHero
Sh1tb0xHero is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1

Those look like some yummy parts.

Why not sell parts to your fellow Saturn drivers here and on craigslist or something. Electronic sensors cost a lot quite new and some people might benifet.
Sh1tb0xHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #19
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Depending on how you feel about building another one, those parts are too good to sell. There are bodies down south with zero rust anywhere, but with wrecked engines and interiors. . .
We're glad you're okay.
+1, that other driver really did a number on your car.

I remember the 10th anniversary seats posts and some of the other bits.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #20
TomM96
Master Member
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

-Glad you survived nearly intact.--

re car-
I've been visiting some wrecking yards lately... and finding a Lot of Saturn bodies in far superior condition to my daily driver. Interestingly , many cars do Not have the characteristic corrosion (on the passenger-side rocker panels, the subframe, headlamp brackets , etc.). And , I'm talking NewEngland cars, where about as much roadsalt is used as in the GreatLakes region. {These cars must not have been used for daily winter commute}. This week i bought a liftgate for my SW from Woonsocket R.I. (on Mass/R.I. border) that had Zero rust on the wiper shaft, and no hint of rust on the hinges.

re shoulder- /orthopedic healing/
Generally when we suffer injuries to joints, the damage is Not so much to the muscles which activate it, as the ligaments which support, and cartilage, which both supports and cushions the joint.

The muscles have high blood supply, and are able to recover quickly, particularly with some movement/exercise; full-range-of-motion 'resistance' exercise (as light/moderate weight training) makes quick work of it.

However, if the cartilage/ligaments are deranged, and/or if the bones at the joint are damaged, the body will limit surrounding musculature, to avoid overstressing the structure. So, the key to joint healing oft involves exercise targeting the ligaments, cartilage (and maybe bone). Although muscles oft recover through Low Repetitions (10-100 movements), the ligaments require High repetitions (500 to 5000) to heal -- correspondingly, the resistance Level must be very Low (whether weights , elastic bands, etc). Professional athletes (esp football+basketball players) discovered in the 1960s that No-Load stationary bicycling heals most knee injuries.

Cartilage/ligaments do OK with just carbohydrates in diet, but, for serial damaged,older tissue, an omega-3 diet input [Flax-seed, fish oil] will improve resilience/durability of the scar tissue to OEM standards (and increase rate of healing). The omega-3 input is well-justified for healing troubling vertebral discs and knee meniscal cartilage.

Vitamin 'D' (preferably 'D-3' cholecalciferol) is known to help bone healing; it also helps soft tissue healing. Vitamin 'C' is critically important to soft tissue healing, since it is instrumental in the formation of cartilage. Bones respond to Stress... they strengthen in response to relatively static loads (as weight training) and even more to dynamic/oscillating impacts -- like walking/jogging. Mineral supplements (Mg,Ca) and quality chelated mineral supplements can help restore bones.

A very Gentle jog (just shuffling along, slower than a walk, using the calf muscles and ball-of-foot landings) can heal knee menisci, vertebral discs, and hips. Neck, and shoulder injuries, share structural aspects and both can profit from strengthening together. Swimming can resolve back and neck injuries because it allows high repetitions under No Load conditions, with the added benefit of maximal cardiovascular stimulus(breathing is Hard). The 'doggy paddle' lacks the optics of the 'butterfly', and the efficiency of the 'freestyle/crawl', but is the stroke shared by dogs, rats, cats , deer... and people !
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote