SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 12-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL
Default Audio abomonation. Chrysler RB1 nav head unit. Harness is made.

Thought I'd share what I am up to. My other cat is an 04 Sebring GTC convertible. They are decent cars and this is one of less than 1000 5-speed V6's produced so i tinker.

I had a parts car this summer that had an RB1 navigation head unit and a Sirius unit with a lifetime subscription. I miss it now that winter is on and the convertible is laid up. What does one do? Adapt a Sebring harness using a plug in Saturn adaptor kit and modify the dash opening. This way, i can move the Sirius module and have sat radio all winter.

The adaptor plugs into the saturn harness and i had a donor Sebring radio plug and harness section. Thankfully, I have both service manuals thus i figured out the adaptor from eBay is missing a wire. Yep, no ground. Instructions even call for a black wire that isn't there. Ill add that on its own.

The only Sebring input that isn't there is the PCI bus connection. I believe this is gonna be ok since mopar sells a harness to go back to 1998 style harness to this plug. There would be no PCI bus there. Only fancy thing i believe it does is tell the image to display Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep at startup. It knows and switches when you transplant one.

I have 10 beans into this so far and if the head unit doesn't light up so be it. If time permits, ill plug her in this week and see if it functions. If im lucky, ill mod the dash opening next.

Wish me luck. image.jpg
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL
Default Re: Audio abomonation. Chrysler RB1 nav head unit. Harness is made.

Here is a complete system. Never back down from bad ideas. [ATTACH]
[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (110.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 12-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

Harness. image.jpg
Old 04-27-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

So i finally got some time to play with this. It works. . The splash screen still says Chrysler since the bus connection hasn't told it otherwise. That wire is open circuit. That was the only real wildcard.

I had a mopar changer working off it as well. 1 issue, the RB1 is about 1/4" too wide to fit in the hole. I new id have to do some fabrication but looks like there will be abit more cutting than i planned.

This also means I can move my lifetime Sirius module when I am not using my Chrysler. Sweeeeeeeeeet.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
velleguy73

2001 SL
2002 SL

I got it installed today. The Rockwell sonic crafter is a lovely thing. I shaved about 1/8th from each side of the opening. I trimmed from the vents to the Hvac controls. I used a small level and a sharpie to find where the locating pins should go. I drilled the holes and it sat in perfect.

I widened the trim panel a out 1/4" and rectangles the opening for the wider headunit. I had to take off 1 panel clip as it interfered with the head unit. It isn't very noticeable. The face plate sits about a quarter inch too deep below the trim panel. I will need to add an offset to get the face up to the trim. The opening between the radio and Hvac controls needs a filler. Roughly an inch and a quarter.

Issue with these nav units is the maps are on a DVD that has to stay in the player. My Chrysler has a 6 disc in dash changer in the dash and all the Sirius stuff is burried in the dash. No room for the 6 disc in the dash as i do have an extra. If i elongate a cable, I can put the changer in the center arm rest if I am willing to loose that storage. But that's another weekend.