SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 01-27-2022, 08:43 PM   #1
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default What type of scan tool are you using?

I'm looking at upgrading mine for something with actual diagnostic capability, i.e. fuel trim values, O2 sensor voltages, etc., and there a couple of choices from Autel, Innova, and Launch in the $200-$400+ range which I've been looking at.

Besides features, want to ensure whatever one purchased actually supports the Saturn beyond basic OBDII features. Thanks.
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2022, 09:30 PM   #2
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: What type of scan tool are you using?

I have the ScanGauge. It was great 10 years ago but I see modern scanners have graphs and more data available.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:14 AM   #3
Big_Mike
Big_Mike is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

That price range is going to be the really good low functionality scan tools (so Global OBD2 DTC read and graphing for data but maybe not ABS/Airbag/Others and maybe limited bidirectional controls) and the really bad high functionality scan tools (Some manufacturer specific high level tests, talks to more modules but definitely not all of them).

The big questions that I think about would be is this for hobby use or for serious diagnostics? If it's for serious diagnostics, I would hold out until I could get into the $1000 range for more modern vehicles, but as the older tools are cheaper you may be able to pick up a used tool that's 10 years out of date that still covers the Astra.

Are you looking at a tool that you use for more vehicles than just the Astra? Some scan tool companies sell the base tool and then subscriptions for particular vehicle manufacturers.

Along with that what kind of networks are you planning to hook into? OBD1, Global OBD2, Manufacturer level OBD2, CAN network.

If you visit the sites for major scan tool manufacturers like Autel, Bosch/OTC, Launch, Snap-On, etc. they often have coverage lists for their tools. So you can check for what they cover. I would look at Autel, as they are cheap, made in China I think, and have huge brass ones. They copied Ford's manufacturer level scan tool to the T or maybe D (for Ford) and put it in their tools. Ford sued them for it, I don't remember what became of it, but just google "Ford sues Autel" and you'll get some article from non-automotive people trying to write interesting stories without knowing what it's really all about.

Outside of a cheap little 2 button OBD2 code reader from 2005 so the CAN DTCs don't always have a definition, I have a GM Tech 2 with the final build on it. So most GM vehicles from 1996-2011ish depending on when the architecture was converted for the GDS2. The bad part about the Astra is that it takes a special build of the Tech 2, so the whole tool gets wiped and remapped just for the Astra. So I'm leaving mine on the final build because my truck and other cars need it more. Unless I can find another one for cheap.
A wise man once tried to teach me, one project car at a time. It never stuck.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiSHC8Yivs05mQnxYjx2iA
2008 Saturn Astra XR 2DR
Big_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:22 PM   #4
Astra08

2008 Astra XR

Thanks for the recommendations. I went with the Autel MaxiCheck MX808 which is the Wi-Fi model. I was able to purchase it from Summit Racing for $427 since they will do a price match against sites like eBay or Amazon, and it was $70 cheaper that way.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aue-mx808

So far, so good. Nice interface and a lot of features. I was interested in the live data and diagnostics features, and for a sub $1,000 unit this model has quite a bit to offer.

I looked at finding the Tech2 tool, but they were roughly the same price, and I have 6 OBDII compliant vehicles of various makes, so I wanted something a little more flexible for diagnosing those.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:58 AM   #5
Big_Mike
Big_Mike is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Ya, my Tech2 is ok. I bought 2 broken ones and made that frankenstein come back to life.

Does the Autel talk to very many modules on the Astra?
A wise man once tried to teach me, one project car at a time. It never stuck.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiSHC8Yivs05mQnxYjx2iA
2008 Saturn Astra XR 2DR
Big_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:35 PM   #6
Astra08

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Mike View Post
Ya, my Tech2 is ok. I bought 2 broken ones and made that frankenstein come back to life.

Does the Autel talk to very many modules on the Astra?

It does. There is an Opel menu, although you have to select the vehicle parameters manually. Once there, you can perform various options such as TPMS, oil indicator resets, etc., along with diagnosing specific components.

Using the OBD menu seems a bit better for capturing live data output but overall it works well for the Astra.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:18 PM   #7
ProOpel
ProOpel is a jewel in the roughProOpel is a jewel in the roughProOpel is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra08 View Post
It does. There is an Opel menu, although you have to select the vehicle parameters manually. Once there, you can perform various options such as TPMS, oil indicator resets, etc., along with diagnosing specific components.

Using the OBD menu seems a bit better for capturing live data output but overall it works well for the Astra.
Nice! You can pretty much mod the car the way you want now! I wonder if you can make it go into sport mode? Like the euro models have? Basically get rid of the RPM delay which I find soo annoying! I want the RPM to work as it should in a sports car when I disengage the gear. Instead of the RPM gauge "floating" for a bit. GM made our cars so delicate!
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Illuminated shift knob
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote