SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 07-17-2021, 02:57 AM   #1
SelfemploydL200
SelfemploydL200 will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default How is your L-Series Doing?

haven't been using the forum too much since I recently acquired a 1989 Toyota Van, neglecting my L-Series a bit. Anyways, how is your guys' (and gals) L-Series doing? Mine needs an A/C leak to be resolved and an oil change as of late...
2002 L200 "Rattler" 67,765 - 5/12/2021 (Mileage As Of Date)
2006 Kia Sorento EX "Workhorse" 91,046 - February 2021 (Mileage As Of Memory)
1989 Toyota Van CRG 268,030 - July 2021 (Mileage As Of Date)
SelfemploydL200 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: How is your L-Series Doing?

Buy and use an inexpensive uv blacklight (several leds, not the single led type). In darkness, factory installed dye glows wherever a leak occurs. It's not necessary to refill a leaking system to find leaks.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My daily driver is in the same condition, oil change is due and the a/c needs a boost. I need to get back on my second L since my grand daughter got her permit. It runs and drives with the replacement engine just needs a little more items addressed.
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:06 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

There's some extra clatter coming from under the hood and, after hunting down the source of the noise, all of the accessory items related to the engine were eliminated. The "stethoscope" could faintly pick up the noise beneath the valve cover. I'm fairly sure that the lifters need replacing. The noise started quite some time ago, but it was well past the 300K mile mark. Otherwise the engine and transmission continue to hold up well. Some time I really need to attack my A/C repair which has been needed since late last Summer.
356K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
SelfemploydL200
SelfemploydL200 will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Roll Eyes Re: How is your L-Series Doing?

Good to hear you guys are still holding strong, gotta also clean mine in addition since it was sitting under a tree, the birds were having plenty of hotshots on it with their cr*p!
2002 L200 "Rattler" 67,765 - 5/12/2021 (Mileage As Of Date)
2006 Kia Sorento EX "Workhorse" 91,046 - February 2021 (Mileage As Of Memory)
1989 Toyota Van CRG 268,030 - July 2021 (Mileage As Of Date)
SelfemploydL200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Although mine is an L300, my ac broke back around 2013 with my first use of a uv light. Finding the leak took less than 5 minutes and it was under the engine so the 4 minutes was spent looking for a plastic grocery bag to lay on the ground before kneeling down to look under the engine.

Fast forward and my compressor clutch decided to die. Rather than buy several hundred dollars of new GM compressor, I went with a discontinued rebuilt for several hundred less. And a new hose. All seemed right but I may have over filled with refrigerant oil as output center vent temps weren't 42F from the previous repair. It's now around 52F. I did not replace the txv or drier. I checked for leaks the next few days with my uv light and saw none, more worried about the transplanted old fitting onto a new hose assembly leaking. No dye markers anywhere.

About two weeks passed since repairs when cooling wasn't there (using the inexpensive dial type thermometer sticking into the center vent. I neglected to tighten the suction line to the compressor as dye marked the area and dribbled some refrigerant oil under the compressor. Well lit with my uv light. Tightened the bolt down then cleaned the area as much as possible with simple green/water mix to remove as much dye and oil as possible. Since refrigerant wasn't completely purged from gauge indications, I decided to add a calculated amount of r134a using gauges to monitor pressures. Checked for leaks again, none found. Compressor and hose replacement and side track of modifying a new hose took several days as I take more time in repairs (approaching seven decades on this planet). A few hours per session is my pace. This repair was finished yesterday so I still have to monitor my repairs the next few weeks with uv inspection before I can call this done.

As I often mention, ac repairs are unforgiving of mistakes. And before this project, I rebuilt my 1.5 ton floor jack with a seal kit. I tested the rebuilt floor jack on my car to be sure it worked and didn't leak hydraulic oil. It's about 35-40 yrs old when last winter wouldn't hold weight, sank when standing on it.
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 07-22-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My L300 is now coming on with bouts of shake'nRoll when trying to get past 70mph and now I have to figure out what is causing this. Tire replaced but no alignment as they said the Rocker arm bushing needs replacing.
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #8
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: How is your L-Series Doing? rebuilding floor jack

hi fd- picked up your comment about rebuilding your 40year old floor jack with a seal kit which i know are available. how did it go? i have a 2 ton sears floor jack which i bought at sears in nj back in 73. worked perfectly until a few years ago when it started slowly coming down by itself under load(my 01 L 100) . tried adding hyd fluid but didnt do any good. would like to reseal it or hire it out. cant find repair persons to do it. know they used to exist 15 years ago. hate to junk it. can disassemble pump from jack , but not confident of my ability to put in new seal kit. how tough was rebuilding yours? thanks tons . appreciate your wisdom. bob f
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No wisdom, just some knowledge and practical skills. I made two threads in the General Saturn Discussions forums; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...32#post2363832
Old 07-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
bromli
bromli is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Shes got a massive hole in the front subframe near the passenger tire but the engine is happily ticking along about to crack 200k miles. Hopefully by next spring I will be driving a company car and the old plastic rustbox won't have to drive to every corner of NJ 5 days a week
bromli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #11
neurotopia
neurotopia is a jewel in the roughneurotopia is a jewel in the roughneurotopia is a jewel in the rough

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It's got some valve train tick, possibly a lifter though it does get better with an oil change so I'm hoping if I keep putting synthetic in there it will clean up whatever the problem is. A minor electrical bug that causes a bit of unsteady power (dash does a fluctuation in brightness at night sometimes) but nothing obvious in the power system that I can find, and it runs fine so I'm not terribly worried. Probably just got to find the right wire with some corrosion on it, seems to be eluding me.
neurotopia is offline   Reply With Quote