SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 05-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
Roofcock
Roofcock has a spectacular aura aboutRoofcock has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Will a dead battery stop the car from going forward

Last night my daughter pulled in the driveway and I told her to go to the other one she backed out drove 30 feet and said the car won't move. So I said try reverse. It backed up fine but struggled to move forward. So she backed in and I checked Tranny fluid seemed a little low but not enough to stop the car. Then when walking around it it sounded like a miss. She said the battery light was on. I asked about the radio thinking maybe I was hearing bass she said it cut off by itself. Then the car died and wouldn't restart. So now it's either the battery or the alternator. Will a weak or dead battery cause a 97sl2 to not move forward. I have an f250 that had a weak alternator and it would not push a trailer in reverse after running the lights and such . Has anyone had an issue like this . Thanks for taking the time to read this.
if you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it again?
Roofcock is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1995 SW2
Default Re: Will a dead battery stop the car from going forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofcock View Post
Last night my daughter pulled in the driveway and I told her to go to the other one she backed out drove 30 feet and said the car won't move. So I said try reverse. It backed up fine but struggled to move forward. So she backed in and I checked Tranny fluid seemed a little low but not enough to stop the car. Then when walking around it it sounded like a miss. She said the battery light was on. I asked about the radio thinking maybe I was hearing bass she said it cut off by itself. Then the car died and wouldn't restart. So now it's either the battery or the alternator. Will a weak or dead battery cause a 97sl2 to not move forward. I have an f250 that had a weak alternator and it would not push a trailer in reverse after running the lights and such . Has anyone had an issue like this . Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Pos this in the tech forum, may get better responses. I personally have no clue
1994 Sl2 5spd First Car, Stock: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd: Retired Daily, Not Stock: 192,000
1998 Sl2 5spd: Family Car, Stock :135,000
1995 SW2 4spd: Daily, Stock: 91,000
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

5spd's don't care, they're manually controlled. Automatics are electrically controlled and a properly working battery smooths out the alternator output, solenoids & the like respond differently at different voltage's.

Sounds more like you have 'normal' automatic transmission woes, find the source of why it's low on fluid before spending much money on it.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the alternator died. Get the battery charged up and test voltage.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #5
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2

Bit of necro bump, But as long as the vehicle has an alternator and a manual transmission you will lose your dash and a few other electronics (3rd gen uses a BCM so you might get to keep gauges), so no Tacho or speedo or any other o'meter, but it will keep driving as normal so long as you don't stall it.

There also a good chance you lose all or most of your exterior lights since they are pretty much on the same circuit as the interior, to an extent, couldn't exactly test this in the middle of the day when the battery decided to jump ship (car?).

I have limited experience regarding auto's but my time with dead 05 Pacific Chrysler went like this;

The transmission acted like it was possessed when it had extremely limited power, symptoms will include you going 20-60mph while stopped with the transmission constantly switching between 2nd and 3rd. Expect lots of hard slamming.

Ethier way its going to rape your clutch packs, so if you can avoid driving an autotragic with non-extant or pretty close to dead battery... Don't.

Alternator failure is pretty much above but everything will dim out from the power draw on the battery and systems will gradually degrade and start failing after 30-120min depending on how age, capacity, and how many draw sources you decided to shut down or keep on.

On a side note the more amps, the more efficient the conversion process of energy (most of the time) before thermo-stressing and possibly warping cells causing internal shorts plus sulfating.
If any user helped you, be sure to rep them.

Late 99 SC2 2.5 Gen, 237k miles

"Well... Now my car looks like a blackbarry." - Medtactics, 2017
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofcock View Post
OK, battery light is on, which means voltage is too low due to a non-functional alternator. The solenoids will not power up and you will lose clutch engagement in an automatic transmission, when the voltage gets too low. this is also why the radio cut itself off as the voltage needed was no longer sufficient. So, YES a low battery can cause a saturn to not shift into gear or cause slamming/slipping gears too.

Just like a hand held video game system or a sony Walkman with low batteries, a car is surprisingly not too much different.

Replace the alternator first, then check and top off your transmission fluid level.

www.car-part.com

Get a used alternator for cheap at a yard. They are easy to change.
"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
boatmoter
boatmoter is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

yes it will,the trans is controlled by the PCM and if battery is low it will not shift sometimes will not engage
boatmoter is offline   Reply With Quote