Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Old 01-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Default Question for SATURN Sales consultants

So I have been thinking for sometime.

I know this sounds funny, but for a long time I have aspired to be a car salesperson.

I have been thinking since I bought my Ion that I wanted to be a sales consultant at our local saturn dealer.

I was just wondering how you guys enjoy your job.. I really think I would enjoy it, what does it entail, how is the pay.

I know the hours are long.. but I could deal with it.

Also, does it require a certain degree? I am currently going to college, undeclared major... My parents are trying to talk me into doing 101 things, but I want to be a sales consultant..

I dont' even care if it's not insanely good money, I think I would do really well as a sales consultant, and I think I could make good money, and I wouldn't even mind doing this for years..

Thoughts?

Opinions?
-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Question for SATURN Sales consultants

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIonDrvr89 View Post
So I have been thinking for sometime.

I know this sounds funny, but for a long time I have aspired to be a car salesperson.

I have been thinking since I bought my Ion that I wanted to be a sales consultant at our local saturn dealer.

I was just wondering how you guys enjoy your job.. I really think I would enjoy it, what does it entail, how is the pay.

I know the hours are long.. but I could deal with it.

Also, does it require a certain degree? I am currently going to college, undeclared major... My parents are trying to talk me into doing 101 things, but I want to be a sales consultant..

I dont' even care if it's not insanely good money, I think I would do really well as a sales consultant, and I think I could make good money, and I wouldn't even mind doing this for years..

Thoughts?

Opinions?
omg...

I asked a salesguy I knew once (he's since passed away) the same question. he told me 'you don't want to be a car salesman, that's for old guys that don't know how to do anything else'.
regardless, I tried it, for about 5 months, till they fired me for not selling enough. to be kept on, you had to 'bonus' each month (8 cars). well, the store was only good for about 65-70/mo, and they had 11 salespeople, you do the math...
if you didn't make 8 sales by the 3rd wk of the month, you had to work every day the last week, like 70+hrs. if you didn't sell at least 8/mo, your salary would be about $150/wk. all the other salespeople were chain smokers and divorced at least once, or on their way to one. when the store has a good month, the general mngr takes the credit. when it does bad, it's the salespeoples fault. some stores fire the lowest performers every month. there is a HUGE turnover at ANY car dealership, I don't care which one.

I figured I'd get on here 1st before some enthusiastic yahoo that loves his job tells me I'm all bitter. the ones making money in the business are the exception, and it took them A LONG TIME to get there.
you asked for opinions, there's mine.
for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
omg...

I asked a salesguy I knew once (he's since passed away) the same question. he told me 'you don't want to be a car salesman, that's for old guys that don't know how to do anything else'.
regardless, I tried it, for about 5 months, till they fired me for not selling enough. to be kept on, you had to 'bonus' each month (8 cars). well, the store was only good for about 65-70/mo, and they had 11 salespeople, you do the math...
if you didn't make 8 sales by the 3rd wk of the month, you had to work every day the last week, like 70+hrs. if you didn't sell at least 8/mo, your salary would be about $150/wk. all the other salespeople were chain smokers and divorced at least once, or on their way to one. when the store has a good month, the general mngr takes the credit. when it does bad, it's the salespeoples fault. some stores fire the lowest performers every month. there is a HUGE turnover at ANY car dealership, I don't care which one.

I figured I'd get on here 1st before some enthusiastic yahoo that loves his job tells me I'm all bitter. the ones making money in the business are the exception, and it took them A LONG TIME to get there.
you asked for opinions, there's mine.

Yep, I have heard the exact same things, plus, they say you should probably leave your conscience at the door with your coat as well.
2003 Ion QC- Sold August of 2015
2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
bryanm326
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Well I guess you could say I'm an old guy who doesn't know how to do anything else. Not all dealerships are the same, so don't think that all experiences are the same. We have salespeople here who do well, and we have those who don't do as well. I've been a midpack saleperson since I got here about 4 years ago, and I made about 40k. We don't fire underachievers every month. My dealership has had the same 5 salespeople since 2005, plus a few that come and go. We are in the business of developing and nurturing our sales consultants, if we don't make our goals, our managers are the ones who hear about it, but they continue on every month to plan and strategize and work as a team with the consultants to try to achieve the store and individual goals. Firing people every month will never get the job done. Anyway- good luck, ask a lot of questions before deciding.
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
dongo
dongo is on a distinguished road

Alot of people will always say that selling cars is not good, I have been with saturn for 11 years now and glad I am. There are bad times and very good times. If you are in a good store and you can deal with the public, you can do good. Work smart, do follow up, treat customers nice and you can make alot of money. builing a good customer base is the key thing. You can live on that alone sometimes when it is bad. I make enough to afford a very nice house, in a very nice area, my wife doesn't have to work and we have 3 kids(all under 6) and we do not live paycheck to paycheck. Sales is good, but people will always bad mouth a car salesman no matter how nice you are and how well you treat people. So if that doesn't bother you take a shot at it, you will be surprised at the money that can be made.
dongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The prime reason for a car dealership is to sell cars and make money. Many do this in a way that the customer feels special and will want to return. Many only care about how much money they can make on the sale and how can they take every last dollar the buyer has.

I'd say very few dealerships could care less that a person is satisfied. Many times it the few people like dongo that try and make it the same experience Saturn envisioned 17 years ago.

Making money today is more important than having a satisfied repeat customer. Two years ago there was no doubt that my next car was going to be a Saturn. Today it wouldn't be the case...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Starting off, to answer your questions: I enjoyed my job for the most part, but I don't think I ever want to sell cars again now that I'm out of it. I made good money - I was on the low end of the pack where sales totals came to, but I made a comfortable $30k/year, of which a decent amount was cash bonuses throughout the month. You do not need a degree. Sales experience may be helpful, but some dealerships prefer people without experience.

Now, I'm going to go back into the same vein as a lot of other people on the advice part.

Like Bobby said, the dealership's point to existence is to sell cars and make money. Customer service is an extra bonus, if you can manage to make them happy while selling cars and making money, good for you, but it's not the focus.

Don't plan on getting into selling cars as a career so early in life. Majority of sales people do not stay in the business more than a few years, but there are some 'career guys' at each dealership - they usually become managers, and managers never stay at the same dealership long. Every manager I worked under had been through 3 or 4 dealerships by the time they got to us. When sales are bad, the managers get fired, it's a fact of life in the car business, so they'll just get hired somewhere else the next day.

If you really want to sell cars, go for it. But there's absolutely no harm in taking college classes - even a 2 year degree will open up new worlds to you, and you'll soon see there are a lot of options other than selling cars that may interest you. If you do get hired somewhere, try and tell them up front you'd like to try and work some classes into your schedule, they might be willing to work with your schedule.

Car sales is a very stressful job, it takes a particular personality to do it. I did it for a little under 2 years, and I know that I will probably never go back to it. It's way too high stress for me, and I can't handle being micromanaged - which you're going to be at a car dealership. If you didn't close the sale, it's your fault, no matter what the reason was, and everyone's going to let you know about it. You have to be able to take a mental beating on a common basis without breaking down.

And there's also the fact that dealerships change. When management changes, the dealership's atmosphere will change dramatically. I'm personally glad I left when I did, because everyone that's still there said that when management changed about a month before I left, things start changing, and no one likes working there anymore. It's not the same place it was when I enjoyed working there, and most of them are looking for new jobs because of the management change. Yes, they're selling a lot of cars, but they aren't making money because the managers will cut a deal down to nothing to move a car out the door, so even the people who are selling 10 cars a month aren't making their draws.

I'm not trying to turn you off of sales completely, just telling you that you shouldn't close your focus in on it. It would be a great job while you're going through college, it's one of the best paying jobs you can find without any previous training. But there are many better paying, lower stress jobs that you can get with a degree.
13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
crj19
crj19 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Read my signature.... I sold for Saturn for 2 years and I had a terrible month and lost my job over 1 month. Saturn is no different than any other dealer as to how they act towards sales people, you are easily replaceable and turnover and stress are high. Don't get me wrong I love sales and am still in Sales, just not auto sales...
Former Saturn Salesperson....Out of autosales for good!
crj19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Thanks for all the opinions guys.. I really appreciate it.

I'm only 18 years old, I work in a job right now that is telephone customer service... We have sales going on and off. When I did sales, I did very well. I was the number one sales rep here, I even trained the people who were hired, although I am no longer doing that, I loved it. I am a people person.. I always will be, and with a passion for cars, I think that a sales consultant position may fit very well.

I'm currently undeclared at my college, I originally wanted to be a Music Education major, I am a piano player, and a professional singer. I have a part-time job as a tenor in the Buffalo Philharmonic Chorus... I love music, but I don't know if I would want to be a music teacher for the rest of my life.

I just don't really know what I want to do.. I want to make sure I don't regret a decision I make.

I think it is ridiculous to take a high school senior and have them go straight to college and know what career path for the next 30 years of their life.
-Joel

Then:
Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIonDrvr89 View Post
Thanks for all the opinions guys.. I really appreciate it.

I'm only 18 years old, I work in a job right now that is telephone customer service... We have sales going on and off. When I did sales, I did very well. I was the number one sales rep here, I even trained the people who were hired, although I am no longer doing that, I loved it. I am a people person.. I always will be, and with a passion for cars, I think that a sales consultant position may fit very well.

I'm currently undeclared at my college, I originally wanted to be a Music Education major, I am a piano player, and a professional singer. I have a part-time job as a tenor in the Buffalo Philharmonic Chorus... I love music, but I don't know if I would want to be a music teacher for the rest of my life.

I just don't really know what I want to do.. I want to make sure I don't regret a decision I make.

I think it is ridiculous to take a high school senior and have them go straight to college and know what career path for the next 30 years of their life.
I agree, it's hard to know what you want out of life when you're coming straight out of high school. I think that's why a lot of people aren't using their degrees.

But either way, take some classes to see if you like them. I was a music education major until I got about halfway through my first theory class. There's no way I would have made it through 4 years of theory and I can teach private lessons without a music degree. So now it's my minor, and I'm a forensic anthropology major. I found that I really love anthropology after I took my first class, and I've always loved forensics, so I went into that degree program. I'm a sophomore now and I couldn't be happier with my field choice. By the way, I'm 22 and a sophomore. I dropped out after my freshman year, went into retail (and eventually auto sales) - after 3 years, I realized that I couldn't get where I wanted to go without a degree, and pretty much dropped everything in my life to move halfway across the country and go back to school.

Definitely go try your hand at auto sales. You may enjoy it and stick around for several years, and then decide to finish school, or you may hate it and jump out of it real quick. It's hard to tell until you actually do it. But don't plan on doing it for the rest of your life, because like crj said, you can be fired for one bad month. Just because the dealership's current management won't do that, doesn't mean that a year from now the management won't change and enact that policy. That's what happened at my dealership and I'm glad I got out, voluntarily, when I did. I'd have been up a creek without a paddle if I lost my job over one bad month.
13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

How do most Saturn retailers do commissions? My retailer gives a flat commission for each sale, whether it's an Astra or an Outlook. My sales guy said that on rare occasions that there will be a bonus commission on certain cars. He didn't mention used cars.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

one problem that many run into in the car business. if you are good at it you are stuck for life. alot of money to be made if you are good. in reading this thread and what people are making remember that this is a bad time in the car business. 100k a year is not unheard of in decent times. also many dealers dont care about customer but also many do realize that it is the key to there business and try hard for repeat customer. buying a car and working at a car place both have one thing in common. good places and bad places. pick a good one.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
pennst11
pennst11 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line

Since I saw a car salesman reply, I have question. Do Saturn dealers still adhere to the no-haggle policy? I heard they don't but some clarification would be great. Also I interviewed at some dealers in my area, and all I got was bragging about how awesome it was to work at "this" dealer and how every other dealer sucks, also crap about never taking the customers first offer and how it its bad business. One guy I interviewed with thought he must have been auditioning for Knig of Cars. Most salesman would screw there mother and friends just to make a good deal, SOME, not all.
pennst11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

there are good places to buy or work and bad places. you just need to find a good dealer. saturn cant legally tell the dealers what to charge for a car. that is left up to the dealer. they try keep it that way because dealerships are owned by terratory so the same person owns many dealers in the same area so there would be less reason to lower the price. for example there may be 15 chev dealers in town all owned by different people. but that being said business is slow and most dealers will do what they must to sell a car.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #15
MidnightVue07
MidnightVue07 is on a distinguished road

There's good and bad, just like in any other Job. I have a buddy that works for Mazda, Internet Sale's Manger, He is only 20. Its a nice dealership. He started out being a Car porter. It all depends on the Dealership you work for, how they and you treat Customer's.

He enjoy's it. Make's decent Money, Some months he sale's 10+ Other Time's Like now he sale's maybe 2-3 a week.

I've thought about it as well.. I just don't think i can deal with the General Public that well.
MidnightVue07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #16
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Well I definitely am a people person, I think that I would be able to do well

I was thinking about switching to part-time at school and trying out the car dealer game, as far as college goes, I have no clue what kind of major I want anymore..

It's an awful position to be stuck in... I know I'm not the only one
-Joel

Then:
Old 01-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #17
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie View Post
I agree, it's hard to know what you want out of life when you're coming straight out of high school. I think that's why a lot of people aren't using their degrees.

But either way, take some classes to see if you like them. I was a music education major until I got about halfway through my first theory class. There's no way I would have made it through 4 years of theory and I can teach private lessons without a music degree. So now it's my minor, and I'm a forensic anthropology major. I found that I really love anthropology after I took my first class, and I've always loved forensics, so I went into that degree program. I'm a sophomore now and I couldn't be happier with my field choice. By the way, I'm 22 and a sophomore. I dropped out after my freshman year, went into retail (and eventually auto sales) - after 3 years, I realized that I couldn't get where I wanted to go without a degree, and pretty much dropped everything in my life to move halfway across the country and go back to school.

Definitely go try your hand at auto sales. You may enjoy it and stick around for several years, and then decide to finish school, or you may hate it and jump out of it real quick. It's hard to tell until you actually do it. But don't plan on doing it for the rest of your life, because like crj said, you can be fired for one bad month. Just because the dealership's current management won't do that, doesn't mean that a year from now the management won't change and enact that policy. That's what happened at my dealership and I'm glad I got out, voluntarily, when I did. I'd have been up a creek without a paddle if I lost my job over one bad month.

Kudos for you trying your hand at something else and realizing you didn't like it, plus you had the balls to just "drop" everything like you said and go back to school, I admire that, wish I could do the same thing, but I'm stuck in aviation, no one else will give me a chance to do something else mechanical, and I've applied to various machanical jobs.
2003 Ion QC- Sold August of 2015
2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote