SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 06-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
MeSpdRacer
MeSpdRacer is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Checkered Flag Asphalt circle track racer

Well it's been a little while since I have posted but I am still here! lol My 93 SC2 is doing great on the track but still trying to do more. Out of the 12 or so that are out there weekly I am sitting about in the middle. Two Preludes, an 90's Olds Toronado and a are still able to beat me. I rebuilt the motor, shaved the head .30, Geo TB, camber is adjusted to max allowed, rear sway bar is "preloaded", and poly motor mounts. (I think that's everything) Not sure what else I can do. I have a lifter ticking so I may take it back apart and do the intake cam mod. Technically this is a "stock" class but hey, gotta do what I gotta do to be competitive I guess lol

Any tips to get a little more?
MeSpdRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Asphalt circle track racer

You have a 93, so I'm guessing you already did the header? And any places you can shave weight without weakening the car will help
1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
MeSpdRacer

1993 SC2

sorry forgot that lol yes and it is stripped. Might take out the windshield soon and use Lexan
Old 06-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Haybale
Haybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the roughHaybale is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
2000 SW2
Thumbs Up Re: Asphalt circle track racer

Can you modify the intake and have a ram air? K&N air filter?

How much fuel in the tank?

Port the head/intake, at least gasket match to get smooth air flow.

Have the injectors cleaned/flow matched

Also this 'DIC', http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ht=intake+cam#

What rims, can you go with a lighter wider rim?

What brakes do you run? If you run a better rotor/pad, you could hold the throttle longer and brake quicker.

I'm still learning the ins and outs of these cars, I know my Lightning inside and out, literally!! So these are just general thoughts, I've never done auto cross, but I have done drag racing, I know it's not the same but some things stay the same.
Ryan

00 SW2 White, auto, 88k miles, 5/18/2019 $200, DD back up tow vehicle
97 SL2 Gray 5 speed, 298k miles, 11/18/15, tow vehicle back up DD
98 SL2 Pearl White, 190k miles, 7/2010, 11/7/15 RIP
Haybale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
dynonacht
dynonacht is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

what model prelude and toronado are they?
dynonacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
MeSpdRacer

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haybale View Post
Can you modify the intake and have a ram air? K&N air filter?

How much fuel in the tank?

Port the head/intake, at least gasket match to get smooth air flow.

Have the injectors cleaned/flow matched

Also this 'DIC', http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ht=intake+cam#

What rims, can you go with a lighter wider rim?

What brakes do you run? If you run a better rotor/pad, you could hold the throttle longer and brake quicker.
No ram air allowed, already ported everything on the rebuild, haven't messed with injectors, we have to keep at least half a tank of fuel or it misses on the corners. I have been looking at maybe doing the dual intake mod, factory wheels only. Been looking for a set of the 12lbs older sawblade style wheel, different brakes wont help because we barely use them. lol I think that was everything.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have to switch the back part of my exhaust to 1.5 inch instead of 2 inch because of a rule change.

Dynonacht
there is a 01 prelude beating EVERYONE, a 94 integra, a 89 prelude and i think the Toronado is a 90 i think. I can beat most of the others, including the Civics typically. I can keep up with them for the most part but just barely
Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
dynonacht
dynonacht is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

deebs build, search it, it will get you past the 89 prelude no doubt and maybe the integra depending on what model it is, the 01 prelude and tornado will rule the track if this is a "stock" class, but u should be able to grab a bronze if the integra is base model, good luck
dynonacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
NickClubb86
NickClubb86 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Checkered Flag Re: Asphalt circle track racer

I actually raced dirt with my 97 sc2, but some things I did to improve the handling were:

Spaced the LF so that it was further forward than the RF (provided a lot more bite off the corners)

Cocked the rear end slightly to the right for corner entry (made a huge difference for me, but I'm not sure if that would make it too loose for asphalt)

These two things made a world of difference for my car. The leading the LF may sound odd but it definitely works. I kept my engine completely stock other than header/intake, and I could smoke $5000 mustangs, along with other cars with very built engines such as neons, 240sx, and even could beat vtec preludes sometimes. Dirt handling is a ton different than asphalt, and handling matters more on dirt as I'm sure you know, but those two might help you, and the car will still be "stock" Also, ran a 125 lap enduro on asphalt with the car, and won by 1 lap over first, 3 laps over 3rd turning 5800 rpm, so I'm fairly sure those work for either track type.
NickClubb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
MeSpdRacer

1993 SC2

Thanks, I will keep that in mind and try it out! I am getting faster every week but still almost a half second behind the top couple cars. The downside is we only run an 8 lap heat and a 15 lap feature each night.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
incamystic50
incamystic50 is on a distinguished road

Nick

How did you cock the rear end??? just curious??
incamystic50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
NickClubb86
NickClubb86 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by incamystic50 View Post
Nick

How did you cock the rear end??? just curious??
I just slotted the two holes in the center of the rear end a bit, held it over to the left I believe, and tightened them down. You can definitely tell a difference with the car jacked up, just have to make sure you don't go too far or it will scrub off speed.
NickClubb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

Can tell me how you :

"Spaced the LF so that it was further forward than the RF (provided a lot more bite off the corners)"

Noob here :-)
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
incamystic50

Should I remove my thermostats for racing?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Should I remove my thermostats for racing?
There's only one thermostat. It should not be removed for operation under any circumstances. When the thermostat opens for the radiator passage, it closes the bypass. With no thermostat in place, but the radiator passage and bypass are wide open. There's no way to determine how much coolant will pass through the radiator and how much will pass through the bypass. It could result in too little coolant going through the radiator, and the engine overheating.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
magician22773
magician22773 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL
2001 SL1

Gotta love Hornet racing.

I hate running tracks that do not restrict certain cars, especially the VTEC cars, and the Tornados. The whole purpose of this class is to allow a reasonably cheap way for people to race.

Sadly, my tracks rules may as well just read "FWD 4 cyl", and thats it. We have 3 or 4 people that own salvage yards, that show up with 2 year old cars, and will lap the field in a 10 lap heat race. Its impossible to even try to run with Type R Integras and ZX-3 Focus' if you have any "budget"
magician22773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
incamystic50

ok my race car runs way better after 6 to 8 laps. not good since heats are only 10 laps and feature is 20. takes 8 or 9 laps to catch up to the rest of the feild. what can i do to make it go from the start?
Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #17
magician22773
magician22773 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL
2001 SL1

Quote:
ok my race car runs way better after 6 to 8 laps. not good since heats are only 10 laps and feature is 20. takes 8 or 9 laps to catch up to the rest of the feild. what can i do to make it go from the start?
Well, 2 possibilities here.

If the car actually "runs" better after 8 or 9 laps, then make sure you have it fully warmed up in the pits before the race.

Now if it "handles" better, then you have to either work on your handling, or, soak your tires. (usually against the rules...but this is racing)
magician22773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
nydieselnut1
nydieselnut1 is on a distinguished road

How big is the track you run I do the same thing as you do you have a auto or standard if its a standard and you run an auto computer you can turn 8000rpm before it shuts down. I run in an open class against fully built crx,s rx7 neons ect I come in third every time the only tow that beat me are a bridge ported rx7 and a built crx with a mini me in it I just posted a thread about my build I'm doing as we speak ver y similar to a deebs build.... also just a tip a isuzu rode throttle body can be slighly modified to fit your intake if you port it and you can try 21 pound blue for fuel injectors to make up for all the air from that intake if you can do that
nydieselnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
incamystic50

The track is 1/4 mile high bank. Running auto pcm. Car is 96 sl2. Not sure about the injectors you are referring. I am running stock objectors. I read back a year ago where someone said to set the gap in my spark plugs lower. I have not been able to find it since.I let the car warm up before last race and it was fast form the start. Thinking of switching to nitrogen in my tires. Running 100% 90 octane gas also.