saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

Default Why not a Hybrid Ion?

Hello -

Can someone post a drivetrain comparison between the Vue Hybrid and the Saturn Ion? I would like to know if they share any components. The Ion should be a no-brainer small car/hybrid platform. GM keeps emphasizing SUV hybrids, but they won't have an MPG leader until they have a small car hybrid.

Has this question already been asked in another thread?

CarloSW2
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
trancer78
trancer78 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2002 SC1
Default Re: Why not a Hybrid Ion?

Production of the ION is scheduled to end in just a few months. Perhaps a hybrid of the ION replacement, the Astra, might be a consideration for the future.
trancer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

trancer78 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancer78
Production of the ION is scheduled to end in just a few months. Perhaps a hybrid of the ION replacement, the Astra, might be a consideration for the future.
Yeah, your right :

http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/ION/2...ctionext.shtml

'07 ION Production Extended through Spring
August 12, 2006

Saturn revealed Thursday that it plans to continue production of its ION sedan and quad coupe through at least the end of March due to increased consumer demand. ...

Soooo, maybe let's make this a hypothetical "what if" question. I will do homework on this and post a follow-up.

CarloSW2
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Well, the VUE Hybrid utilizes a special variant of the 2.4 Ecotec. We know that the regular 2.4 fits just fine in the nose of the Ion. Then you've got a wicked powerful starter/generator, a lot (A LOT) of computer hardware, wiring, and software, a big honkin' huge 36 volt battery pack, more doodads for the rear suspension, and some more stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. A lot of it is a space issue. There's just no room in the Ion to stuff all this hybrid equipment and still have room without redesigning floor pans, seats, engine bay, etc.
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
ujm4ever
ujm4ever is on a distinguished road

You can keep your hybrids. Will somebody other than VW please build a small to mid-size car with a clean diesel.
ujm4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:13 AM   #6
SL2Hawaii
SL2Hawaii is on a distinguished road

That's what I'm talking about Diesel. It's already in Europe I did here that American Diesel gas isn't as high of a grade as what other countries use so that was one of the reasons but if Volkswagon can do it why not others.
SL2Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujm4ever
You can keep your hybrids. Will somebody other than VW please build a small to mid-size car with a clean diesel.
Can you wait for the 2009 Honda Accord? Supposedly a diesel is coming.
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2Hawaii
That's what I'm talking about Diesel. It's already in Europe I did here that American Diesel gas isn't as high of a grade as what other countries use so that was one of the reasons but if Volkswagon can do it why not others.
The cleaner burning diesel with lower sulfur content is hitting the market now. VW was just waiting for the U.S. diesel to be up to the Euro stuff before they bring over their better engines. GM is supposedly working on diesel engines for the Epsilon, as the Cadillac BLS - sold in Europe only - comes with a diesel option. The Ion replacement, the Astra, is available with a turbodiesel as well, and hopefully Saturn will continue their push into VW's turf with diesel variants of the Ion/Astra, Vue and Aura. The lower quality fuel and the expensive technology required to bring emissions under control was the main thing stopping domestic manufacturers from entering the market. That, and the fact that a great many Americans see diesels as slow, smelly and noisy; something that the new breed of engines aren't, true, but unless you eat wheat germ or have a blue algae smoothie, you aren't going to be too privy to the diesel market and all the advancements made in that segment. But still, let's hope they do. Opel also made an Astra diesel hybrid which increased its 40+ mpg an average of 25%....60 or so mpg would be great, and with bio-diesel and Thermal Depolymerization, we could say au revoir to foreign oil pretty easily.
"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote