SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 09-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
zeissheadreggie
zeissheadreggie is on a distinguished road

Location: East point, GA(3 clicks outside of the atlanta city limits)

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Physics and my Windshield

Now, how does this go:an object in motion that strikes a windshield going 85 mph in motion, might cost me..... In less than 3 months of ownership I've had serveral objects(rocks/pebbles)strike my windshield. The last two left cracks that are going to spread. Anybody know how much a wind shield for '05 Vue
cost?
If you're in the ATL., stay off of I-285(the perimeter). The Good 'ol Boys down here,
decided we needed to do road construction every weekend until hell freezes over, and not cleaning up the debris left over: means you run the risk of "whatever happens to ya, happens to ya." I'm gone!
live fast, die young, and leave clean underwear!!
zeissheadreggie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
05vueblue
05vueblue is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Re: Physics and my Windshield

I assume you have insurance....most ins companies allow up to 3 windshields over a set period of time with out raising your policy. I was told that to me by my company after I had my winshield replaced in a M3, I was afraid of my rates going up. Call your insurance company......
05vueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I agree, call your insurance company. I've got a $50 deductible on glass breakage only beacuse mine goes through comprehensive. If I had collision (I don't on the 93), it'd be $0 deductible glass breakage.

You'd be surprised at what your insurance will cover. Most will do a windshield without raising your rates or deductible because it's considered a very minor repair.
13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:36 AM   #4
2-Tone Saturn Owner
2-Tone Saturn Owner is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
1992 SL2

If ya wanna save yourself from having to replace the glass, make sure you fix the little chip asap.... that is if you were lucky enough to only get a little rock chip. You can pay a glass shop to do it, or just head to walmart and buy the $10 kit to do it yourself. It might not make the chip disappear, but it'll keep it from spreading most of the time and save you from having to replace the window, at least for now.
1992 SL2 2-Tone Silver/Grey 430,000+ Kms
1996 SL2, 1997 SW2, 1999 SW2, 2002 SL2, 2004 VUE V6AWD
2-Tone Saturn Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

As others have stated, check with your insurance. I have had two windshields replaced on my wife's '02 LW300 and one windshield replaced my '03 VUE. Our rates have not changed.
On a side note...About 1 out of every 10 cars in the Seattle area has a crack running across the windshield. Some have multiple and others have the "spiderwebbing."
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I had to put three windshields in my 2003 VUE from rock chips that spread into long cracks before I could even get the repair stuff put in. At $250 deductible each, that really hurt. Fortunately, my luck changed after the last one, and I've almost made a full year without a significant chip. Knock on wood! I'm convinced there's a significant flaw in the design or quality of the VUE windshield. The rocks that hit it were pebbles, and each time a crack had started to spread within 24 hours. My state has annual inspections, and mine is due every November, so I always waited until the last week to get the windshield replaced out of fear that I would get another rock before the inspection - that's how bad it was there for awhile. Never in my 40+ years of driving had a stretch of luck like this occurred. I have replaced windshields on some of my cars with high mileage because they were pitted so bad from thousands of impacts, but not because they wouldn't pass inspection. I have one like that now on a '96 Cherokee with 106K. I'm not going to replace it because that Jeep is going to be sold, but that windshield has taken some pretty good hits without cracking. It's had a couple of star craters repaired and it's pitted, but structurally sound.
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:39 AM   #7
zeissheadreggie
zeissheadreggie is on a distinguished road

Location: East point, GA(3 clicks outside of the atlanta city limits)

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: Physics and my Windshield

I'm only 40 years old, and I've been around cars and truck all of my life. Only in the last 15 years have I noticed the number of cracked windshieds. When I was
a kid, the only way a windshield got "cracked" was with an "errant" cinder block or brick through it!
I started asking around, and all of the experinced glass replacement service people tell me that the car makers save weight by reducing
the thickness of the glass on vehicles. Thats good for you know who..... Anyhow I'm going to find out how "good" the hands are at ALLSTATE. This will be my First Claim on any policy since I started driving a car in high school. (yeah, I think I've more than paid for a few cars with the premiums I've paid over the years as a safe driver) And my deductable is meager $1000.00!!
live fast, die young, and leave clean underwear!!
zeissheadreggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:24 PM   #8
kmowine
kmowine is on a distinguished road

I live in florida and I have state farm insurance. They allow one free windshield replacement every year with full coverage. good thing too. I had gone thru 4 windshields in 4 years on my 97 SL. I believe it is a safety issue, less likely to get into an accident with a good windshield.
kmowine is offline   Reply With Quote