saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
RL'sGr8t
RL'sGr8t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Default Rubbing noise when wheel turned all the way to either side 04' RL

I looked back in the posts to see if this issue had already been addressed but I found nothing.
I noticed today a rubbing sound from the front end when I turned the wheel all the way to either side while moving. Once I noticed it, I started noticing, it not only occurred at tight turning radiuses but also a larger radius. Has anyone else encountered this? I like to ask here first before going to the dealer as I don't want to be "that" customer. Although, this new sound is disturbing.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2004, 06:17 PM   #2
PK VUE
PK VUE is on a distinguished road

sometimes power or electric steering can do that when turned all the way to the right or left. i guess that is the rubbing noise you are describing. try not to turn all the way right of left as it can provide wear or tear on the electric or power steering.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #3
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Is it actually the tire rubbing against the wheel well? I know my RL has a couple inches of wheel gap and even with the wheel cranked all the way it doesn't even come close. I had oversized tires on my old pickup and this would happen as I was backing out of the driveway (but only with a passenger) when I turned the wheel to the side. If you've got stock wheels and tires, you should have plenty of clearance, unless your springs are somehow getting squashed and losing height! If it's some other sort of grinding noise, it could be your CV joint straining under the difference in speed between the inner and outer tire of the turning radius. That would be worth having looked the dealer check into, I think.

Oh, and don't worry about being "that customer"... I already am apparently. I figure if you spend $30k on a freakin Saturn you should at least get good service, after all that's what Saturn is supposedly known for. Never be afraid to take it in to have them check out strange new noises, especially while it's under warranty!
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
LATEMODELRACING
LATEMODELRACING is on a distinguished road

is this an awd? if so check these 3 things clutch drum on real tight turns will sound like a tire rubbing the inner fender wall. also check front swaybar links they have a binding noise that is real common also around the steering shaft the is a plastic ring at the top of the boot sometimes the ring needs to be cut off and the boot greased!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:31 AM   #5
jeffkics
jeffkics is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

If its AWD check this, it is actually coming from the rear, just sounds like the front.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...threadid=34664
Old 06-28-2004, 04:22 PM   #6
just_vue_it
just_vue_it is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
1998 SL2

Take a look at the inner wall of the wheel well. If you see tire skid marks, then it's tires rubbing against the wall. But this shouldn't happen if you have stock wheels.
'03 Vue 103,000 miles and counting...
Old 06-28-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
RL'sGr8t
RL'sGr8t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Thanks for the info/thread Jeff but, now I am more worried. It sound like taking it in for this problem might be a never ending cycle.
It sounds like is common but no a lot of ppl are complaining.
I think I'll wait for a few more miles before I try a fix. I only have 3600 mile on her so things are really just beginning to wear.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:47 PM   #8
LATEMODELRACING
LATEMODELRACING is on a distinguished road

i have seen rdm's bad off the delivery truck just be sure you want to wait!
Old 07-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #9
Uncle Buck
Uncle Buck is on a distinguished road

It's the rear drive mechanism. Had mine checked-out today and they'll be replacing it when the parts arrive.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:07 PM   #10
Kev
Kev is on a distinguished road

RL'sGr8t . Does the rubbing sound appear as if it is coming from from the steering column inside the cab? This has been a common issue on VUE's. There is a fix. Take it back to your dealer on your next service. There is a waranty fix for this. I had it performed on my last service....apparantly....but the rubbing sound was still there after I picked up the vehicle. I will address this with a tech. and let them them hear the sound on my next service. The sound happens every time I turn the wheel left or right quickly.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:46 AM   #11
UCSBJONES
UCSBJONES is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Rubbing noise when wheel turned all the way to either side 04' RL

This is a recall issue. I had mine fixed last week. They stated it had to do with moisture in the system. It was strange though- - hearing it up from the front but the problem was in the rear. I doubted their explaaition but it's silent now.

Tom
Closed Thread