SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 04-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
marmitage
marmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nice

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 03 VUE AWD 3.0 gas smell

I picked up this vue and had the motor swapped out. It was not running when I got it so I don't know if the problem was pre existing or not. When I fill the tank there is a strong smell of gas, it last about a quarter of the tank then fades. I have searched but not found any leaks on the fuel line or elsewhere under the hood. Any suggestions?
As always thanks for any help.
marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
97 SL2 Back from the grave
99 Sw2 Daily driver
marmitage is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 03 VUE AWD 3.0 gas smell

Dont drive it and dont smoke until you find it.

What codesis it throwing, if any?
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmitage View Post
I have searched but not found any leaks .
Did you start at the filler neck?
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmitage View Post
I picked up this vue and had the motor swapped out. It was not running when I got it so I don't know if the problem was pre existing or not. When I fill the tank there is a strong smell of gas, it last about a quarter of the tank then fades. I have searched but not found any leaks on the fuel line or elsewhere under the hood. Any suggestions?
As always thanks for any help.
I'm assuming you fill until fill nozzle clicks off the first time - I hope so - don't even think of trying to add an ounce more.

If you smell fumes right away after filling tank - leak is probably not related to high pressure line from fuel pump to engine. However, I'd connect a fuel gauge to underhood test spigot and monitor fuel pressure just the same.

Pressure should run 50 to 60 psi with key on - engine off - cycle key off to on to off several times so ECM builds a good head of pressure.

Monitor fuel pressure to make sure it does not lose more than 15 psi within five minutes of key OFF.

If pressure exceeds allowable limit there's: (a) leak in fuel line, or (b) the fuel pump backflow valve is kaput. A bad valve should not causes fumes in cockpit but will make for lengthy engine crank times.

Removing right rear tire gives access to a section of rubber fill hose - there's one clamp joining the hose to the metal fill tube (gas cap section) and another where hose attaches to fuel tank.

If pressure is good and hose and clamps appear solid you'll probably have to drop the tank to see if seals around top of primary fuel module or the fuel quantity module float on drivers side is leaking.

I just dropped the tank on my daughters 07 Vue and it wasn't the most difficult task I've done lately but I'm not eager to drop another one in next few months.

Finally, all those hoses running to/from tank to fill tube and EVAP carbon canister are rigidly attached to fuel pump. They are low pressure and might be repairable but you'll need tank on floor to find breaks or splits.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 04-25-2016 at 01:47 PM.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #5
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

I thought I had photos of when I dropped my tank, but cant find them.

As F2G said, look inside the passenger side wheel well (toward the front of the wheel well). Its better if you take the wheel off. This is where the filler hose and vent lines connect to the fuel tank.

The rubber hose connection on the fuel tank is just about at the 3/4 full level, so if the leak is here, you would get gasoline until the level drops down below the filler neck on the tank.

A very small leak may not necessarily show up as a drip on the ground, but may show up as a small seepage around the point where the leak is.
2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Heres a top view of the tank. (right side is passenger side)

Notice in the lower right corner of this photo is the filler connection. This is where the rubber hose connects to. You should be able to see this from the right rear wheel well.

It should be the same tank as the AWD.

Not sure how to drop tank in AWD. You may need to drop the exhaust and also the drive shaft ??? Hopefully its the rubber fill hose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FuelTank_800.jpg (108.8 KB, 32 views)
2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

Last edited by waiter21; 04-25-2016 at 02:47 PM.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
marmitage
marmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nice

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Thank you for the ideas, I will start checking tomorrow starting with the filler neck. It throws a 410 occasionally but nothing currently. Will report back as soon as I can get to it. have parked it for now.
marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver
Old 11-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Sorry for so long getting back to this, while replacing shocks and getting everything ready I ran thru all of the suggestions to try. I think the one that worked was stop when the pump handle clicks, I have always ran to a second click. I have not for 2 tank fulls (more of a daily driver again) and have not had the gas smell.
The gas gauge however still doesn't work. Never reads lower than 3/4 tank. I have tried the techron treatment and other ideas I found on the forum, any thing else I should try?
marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver
Old 11-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #9
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Ok I have smelled gas twice, both times the driver's window was open, closed it smell went away. While under it recently we did discover the front most flex has an exhaust leak. not sure if related. Will be replacing flex and muffler (has a hole) in near future.
Continue to only fill to first click.
Any other suggestions?
marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver
Old 04-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Sorry it took so long to get back tot this, Vue has been sitting in a snow bank for a couple years. Went and got the tank swapped out. Turns out previous owner drilled a hole from the spare tire storage down through the cab and into the gas tank. Moved fuel pumps from current tank to new (new tank had been sitting for 5 years) and presto gas smell gone and fuel gauge works.
marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver