SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods

Old 07-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default LSJ Exhaust Manifold on a VUE

So this happened....

Sooner than later it will be on. I'll clean it up, get all the surface rust off and give it a coat of black VHT header paint.

We will see how it goes from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1259.jpg (180.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1258.jpg (203.9 KB, 47 views)
Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

Last edited by PortugalFocus; 07-16-2015 at 02:35 PM.
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: LSJ Exhaust Manifold on a VUE

"this happened"... meaning there's red discoloration on my mani?

THere's some faint cracking[on my mani]?

My mani is multicoloracial/trans color?

What?

From my WIKI readings,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine

,,,the LSJ was a 2 liter supercharged Ecotec( in the IONs)? And you installed the exhaust mani into your NA ecotec? WHy?

My guess is the discoloration is due to severe heating from restriction.. I am guessing that when you installed it( used) it didn't look like that......

Pull a few plugs and see if they look fried.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

http://www.inlinefour.com/extrudehone.html
^^Send it off to these guys to smooth out the restrictions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,, then get it plasma coated to preserve it inside and out for the duration. JET-HOT has been around forever and pretty much started the industry.
http://www.jet-hot.com/applications/aftermarket-faq/ YOu can pick the color, too!
http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/premium-colors/
'17 Suby Forester

Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
"this happened"... meaning there's red discoloration on my mani?

THere's some faint cracking[on my mani]?

My mani is multicoloracial/trans color?

What?

From my WIKI readings,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine

,,,the LSJ was a 2 liter supercharged Ecotec( in the IONs)? And you installed the exhaust mani into your NA ecotec? WHy?

My guess is the discoloration is due to severe heating from restriction.. I am guessing that when you installed it( used) it didn't look like that......

Pull a few plugs and see if they look fried.
The LSJ exhaust manifold is known to pickup a few HP on the N/A 2.2L. It is a popular mod for the Ion. I suspect the OP is looking to install it for said performance gain.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 201K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 63K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
The LSJ exhaust manifold is known to pickup a few HP on the N/A 2.2L. It is a popular mod for the Ion. I suspect the OP is looking to install it for said performance gain.
AH. makes sense, but then it looks like his computer didn't like it( lean mix/red discoloration of the mani).

I assume it was an overheat condition- both areas are on the bend where the flow would be more restrictive, by nature, since it has to turn.
'17 Suby Forester

Old 07-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
AH. makes sense, but then it looks like his computer didn't like it( lean mix/red discoloration of the mani).

I assume it was an overheat condition- both areas are on the bend where the flow would be more restrictive, by nature, since it has to turn.
I'm thinking the OP bought it used for cheap. The red is just rust. You probably don't see much rust in your neck of the woods. I doubt the OP would've hacked the harness off the oxygen sensor.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 201K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 63K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #7
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Agreed, it's rust, why is it concentrated in the bends?
Heat and oxidation.
'17 Suby Forester

Old 07-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Agreed, it's rust, why is it concentrated in the bends?
Heat and oxidation.
Truth, it's just rust scale and fine rust at that. I'll be doing the swap when I do my timing chain, guides, water pump and tenstioner.

It's off an 08 Ion with a 2.4 which shares the LSJ manifold with the Redline. I'm not going to hone or get it jet coated, I got the manifold for next to nothing. I'm cheap. I will probably take a cartridge roll or two and just knock off some of the built up carbon deposits on the inlet and outlet of the manifold that are visible just to clean it up. I may or may not clean the rust off of it at all to be honest. It's pretty well hidden on the backside of the engine so it's not going to be seen, in the least bit.

And just to clarify "This happened" meant I just picked up an LSJ manifold.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this swap? Did you use your OE metal manifold gasket? I'm going to buy a new gasket for the down pipe for sure though. Any input is appreciated guys.
Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

Old 07-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #9
Deltaphi216
Deltaphi216 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortugalFocus View Post
Truth, it's just rust scale and fine rust at that. I'll be doing the swap when I do my timing chain, guides, water pump and tenstioner.

It's off an 08 Ion with a 2.4 which shares the LSJ manifold with the Redline. I'm not going to hone or get it jet coated, I got the manifold for next to nothing. I'm cheap. I will probably take a cartridge roll or two and just knock off some of the built up carbon deposits on the inlet and outlet of the manifold that are visible just to clean it up. I may or may not clean the rust off of it at all to be honest. It's pretty well hidden on the backside of the engine so it's not going to be seen, in the least bit.

And just to clarify "This happened" meant I just picked up an LSJ manifold.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this swap? Did you use your OE metal manifold gasket? I'm going to buy a new gasket for the down pipe for sure though. Any input is appreciated guys.
I'm definitely following this. let us know what you find.
-2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L 5speed - on engine #2 - damn timing chains!
-2006 Nissan Xterra S - Ordering parts for a Titan swap
Deltaphi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortugalFocus View Post

It's off an 08 Ion with a 2.4 which shares the LSJ manifold with the Redline. I'm not going to hone or get it jet coated,... Did you use your OE metal manifold gasket? I'm going to buy a new gasket for the down pipe for sure though.
Is there a question on the floor regarding the requirement of a new manifold gasket? How bad do you want an exhaust leak?

THe Jet-Hot Ceramic business really only pays off for high output/turbo/race. But it does look snazzy and preserves the manifold longtime.
'17 Suby Forester

Old 07-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #11
amarv12
amarv12 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

I installed a bad-mab header on my vue; scored it for $40 on CL, didn't have huge expectations, but at that price decided it was worth the experiment. I used a copper header gasket from SCE because that seemed to be the reccomendation from the LSJ crowd..... Turned out to be a pain in the ass. It's normal to have to retighten the copper gaskets once due to heat cycling, but I seriously had to do it like 4 times to get it to stop leaking. It's good now, but it was a pita. If I had to do it again, I would just use the OEM gasket.

I looked for copper gaskets for the collector, even bought one that I thought should work... It didn't.... never could find one that would actually work. Our collector is an oddball size. Ended up grabbing an oem gasket, worked great.

Also, the LSJ manifold may not be a problem, but for the bad-mab I had to bend the heat shield here and there to get it to fit again. And finally... Had to remove my block heater when I installed the header, it no longer fit.... If that applies to anyone...
Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #12
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarv12 View Post
I installed a bad-mab header on my vue; scored it for $40 on CL, didn't have huge expectations, but at that price decided it was worth the experiment. I used a copper header gasket from SCE because that seemed to be the reccomendation from the LSJ crowd..... Turned out to be a pain in the ass. It's normal to have to retighten the copper gaskets once due to heat cycling, but I seriously had to do it like 4 times to get it to stop leaking. It's good now, but it was a pita. If I had to do it again, I would just use the OEM gasket.

I looked for copper gaskets for the collector, even bought one that I thought should work... It didn't.... never could find one that would actually work. Our collector is an oddball size. Ended up grabbing an oem gasket, worked great.

Also, the LSJ manifold may not be a problem, but for the bad-mab I had to bend the heat shield here and there to get it to fit again. And finally... Had to remove my block heater when I installed the header, it no longer fit.... If that applies to anyone...
Great information, I was going with OE gaskets anyway on the head side and the collector side. Was the fitment good though? Meaning was the manifold the correct length and meet up with the head and collector properly?

Old 07-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #13
amarv12
amarv12 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Fitment was fine, better than I expected actually. All the surfaces mated up nicely.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarv12 View Post
Fitment was fine, better than I expected actually. All the surfaces mated up nicely.
Awesome, that gives me great confidence before swapping out my manifold. Last thing I want to do is remove the old one and the new one is a different length or doesn't mate-up properly.