SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
BigSexy
BigSexy is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default What DON`T you like about your Saturn

There has got to be something that you don`t like about your Saturn or Saturn in general. For me it`s that the car is a bit too narrow, I wish it was a few inches wider. I`m 6'3' 215lbs and the coupe has leg room for me but I can use more elbow room.
BigSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: What DON`T you like about your Saturn

A dead pedal for the left foot would have been nice...on a long drive I find myself wishing I had a dedicated space to rest my left foot.
-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
FenderGuitars77
FenderGuitars77 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1992 SL1

1. Everytime you remove a plastic interior piece, I feel like it never quite fits back in place correctly again.

2. Locked computer, requiring full stand-alone computer for tuning.

3. 1st gen headlights are terrible.
FENDERGUITARS777
2006 ION Redline
1996 SC1
1992 SL1

WANT TO SAVE 5% OFF YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM REDLINE GOODS?
http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/uam/x.cgi?a=r&id=1&aid=664&p=2
FenderGuitars77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
Pokerking1993
Pokerking1993 has a spectacular aura aboutPokerking1993 has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2

I wish performance parts are easier to find and cheap to go with it
Pokerking1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

I'm getting close to the end of an over 2,000 mile round trip road trip, so I can rattle off some things:

- needs padding on the door armrest
- rattles
- oil useage
- stupid automatic trans that shifts at stupid times (not really a saturn-specific issue, I mostly want a manual trans or car that reads my mind)
- wagon rear wiper controls that tend to fail
- cupholder location that interferes with the shifter/gear selector and HVAC controls (2nd gen)

I also still haven't made sense of the difference in seating position between my SC2 and SW2. In my SC2, I've found a great slightly reclined position that feels like it fits me like a glove. I can't find the same position in my SW2 for the life of me, but find that sitting more upright feels better in the wagon, though not quite as good as the coupe's position. So much is the same between the cars, I can't figure out what's different that makes the seating feel different.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Wagons advertised as 5-door, yet the hatch has no door handle nor any way to open it from outside without flailing about with a fricken key.

I really don't understand it, but the foot well area in my '97 SW2 feels maybe an inch smaller then it did in my '96 SC2. I'm constantly catching my toes on the HVAC piping behind/under the center panel & radio.

It had a missing passenger mirror so I replaced it with one from a SC1, now I can see fine all over the place on the passenger side but the driver side's mirror is so small I constantly have to adjust the bugger for what I plan on doing. I wish I could find another SL/SW to see if the mirrors are 2-piece like the SC mirrors are (not to mention ALL 1st gen mirrors) so I can make the SC mirrors look stock and not allow water in.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexy View Post
...For me it`s that the car is a bit too narrow...
^Solution: negative camber, hub spacers, urethane bushings and stiff struts!

No, I know what you mean. 5% bigger and the car would be a perfect fit.

+” outweighs ““ by far.
Except for the seats, minor problems:

Driver’s side mirror, when new, was stiff and jerky from springy slack in the three control cables. So, I oiled the cables. Now, the mirror vibrates in the wind. My ’78 olds cutlass side mirror was the same design (though potmetal) and was smooth and steady.

Front seats were designed for someone slightly shorter than I am. I have to squirm a little to get comfortable for a long drive.
Also, when I was rear-ended, the seat back pivot mechanism broke and added to a chronic sore back if I am not careful (not in pain, just "reminded"). It would be better if the pivot mechanism was stronger and bending the seat frame instead would absorb impact force. In the interest of lightweight, the designers missed the boat...
The way drivers text message, it is inevitable everyone will be rear-ended.
(Hint: you can tell someone is text messaging/dialing/talking by the way they drop way back, swerve a little and then hit the brakes at the last second when you have to stop when someone you’re following stops and waits to turn left. 55mph 2-lane roads are a thrill!)

Oil Filter located right over top of something that should never get oil on it.

4-wheel independent suspension that is too complex for the average alignment shop (casting peals before swine)

Front glass that is too complex for the average glass shop to install
Front glass “revised” weather stripping (across the top) that sucks ...and gaps in very hot weather, despite a perfect glass installation using factory spec materials.

Leaking ducting that blows gritty, un-filtered air into the shift mechanism (SW and SL)

Poor workmanship on replacement O.E. downpipe (Mexico)

Headlights produce too much halo effect (although the “revised” headlights are better than the originals)

Not sure if this is a “+” or a “-“ :
Northern Yankee Union Thugs hated Saturns because of the cooperative partnership between GM and the UAW. ...and how they blamed Saturn for taking cash out of other product lines. Even a Thug friend who now works for an Italian car company producing Jeeps did not want to get into my Saturn...or maybe it was my driving ...nevermind.
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
papoopeepoo
papoopeepoo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Three things come to mind that I dislike about my Saturn:

-After being spoiled with BMW and Mercedes-Benz seats most of my life, the seats in my Saturn don't cut it on the comfort and support level

-The brake pedal has always been more 'cushy' than I prefer. "One never notices how important brakes are until one drives an American car and notices they don't have them"

-the alternator is in a difficult location
Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do. -- www.prussianmotors.com
papoopeepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

how about a center console that's large enough to, you know, actually hold stuff.
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
jimboman
jimboman is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Ceaseless rattling and vibration. I've come to accept it as normal... such that in other cars I have to check the tach to know the engine is on! I've definitely done that in my wife's ION.

Better cupholders would be a plus.
jimboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: What DON`T you like about your Saturn

Oh hell yes, the seats are #1 on my hit list. They absolutely bite. There is almost no redeeming value in them at all, IMHO. I added some extra foam padding to mine a couple of weeks ago and they are better (but not exactly good).

I am 6'2" and about 190 pounds these days so the seats don't go back far enough. I am planning to create a set of welded brackets to put the seat rails back about 3" so I don't have to take my shoes off on longer journeys to relax my knees and legs a bit.

The sunroof mechanism also bites. I wish I didn't have a sunroof in it. All it does is rattle when opened. If it ever fails again I'll permanently mount the glass to the sunroof frame using aluminum spacers and be done with it. Then it should just be a nice moon roof.

Rattles are high on the list, although I have exorcised most of them out of the car over the course of time.

I added pads to the door arm rests on mine to solve the arm rest problem.

Liberal use of carpet padding goes a long way toward reducing cabin noise at highway speeds, too.

But all that said, when I filled up this morning- 40.18mpg . The "+" definitely outweighs the "-" on this car. I will drive it until it totally falls apart. I still love it.
DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

Last edited by DIYguy; 11-21-2012 at 12:00 PM.
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
LastSaturn
LastSaturn is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: What DON`T you like about your Saturn

My seat squeaks every time I shift gears. It drives me crazy!

The one-touch feature on my power windows broke about five minutes after I bought the car.
===================
I have owned my last Saturn.
LastSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
SC2-0220
SC2-0220 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Being a bodybuilder and having over 62" shoulders around the seats just dont cut it for me at 6' 1" and 244 pounds I am at 9% bodyfat but will totally agree the seats are my biggest complaint.

Then the center console is weak and breaks easily hate it

The lack of tuning avaliable since I am a tuner for my shop it makes this very frustrating

Lack of performance parts is easy just make your own haha so tht dont bother me

The sloppy shifter feel in the mechanism the trans works fine just want a tighter shifter

Just a few things but all cars have the downsides haha
99 SC2 01 block, 99 rods, 50mm over SP pistons, 98 head ported n flowed flat valves, milled .040, extrode honed n port matched 98 intake, 55mm tb, stage 1 Mid-penn cams, factory header, 2.25 exhaust.
SC2-0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
David R
Advanced Member
David R is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2

+1 everything I've read so far.

Can barely focus on driving for all the squeaking.

The space or lack of space between the engine and the body/frame on the passenger's side.

All the stuff that's on the back side of the engine.
~I'm not an authority on anything~

2009 Astra XE 5sp 225K km
2000 Honda Civic SI 5sp 172K km, AKA EX Coupe - Gone
1997 SW2 DOHC Auto 330K km - Parked, waiting for the value of scrape to go up
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

an extra inch wider, and an extra inch longer (under the hood). Especially under the hood. Then last weekend's ordeal of replacing an intake manifold gasket would have gone smoother instead of being the living hell it was.

Shifter fell apart. But fixed for about $5. Cheap components in general. Junk plastic radiator for one. Real glue for the headliner would have been nice too.

Really, at 15 years and 160K miles, it still gets me where I want to go at 40-ish miles per gallon And is pretty easy to fix.

I just wish they still made them. (As if I would buy a Cruze )

My girlfriend has a L200, with 180K, now that Ecotec is a good engine. Too bad they didn't upgrade the S cars.
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

Where the blasted oil filter is located.
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Just 3 settings for intermittent wipers. Never seem to be quite right.

Don't like the F5 situation... still need to get around to rewiring that.

And no folding mirrors... not that I smack my mirrors a lot, but you never know. I've accidentally folded my other mirrors on other cars by bumping into them carrying something, etc.

Other than that and what was listed above, no worse than other econo cars.

Oh, wouldn't mind a slightly larger gas tank... 14~15 gallons would be sweet. My 944 has a 20 gallon tank, gives me a range of 600 miles or so
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
MadPuppy
Advanced Member
MadPuppy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I could be wrong about this, but for me, it's Having the knowledge that Saturn held out on the horsepower, if Saturn had kept some of the 1st gen parts that helped make power, carrying them over to the 2nd and 3rd generations, while making the improvements they made for durability the car could have gotten a little more powerful each generation. Saturn seemed to fixate on 124 horses and it seems, they did what was necessary to keep it there.
MadPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
wb 86
wb 86 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

Agree on seats and oil filter location, as for the alternator location, get a SL w/o PS and an alternator swap is a 10 min job! Also no armrest/console in my SL so coffee goes in the cupholder by the e-brake and change goes in the cup holder by the HVAC. Every craptastic car I've owned squeaks and rattles so no issues there but I here ya on the alignment issues, took 3 shops to find one with a former GM tech who didn't look at me like I was high and got the car riding true.

-Craig
1999 SL
1995 Ford F250 PSD
wb 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

WHEEL BEARING FAILURES.

This set me over the edge when I traded in my SW2. I was just so sick of dealing with wheel bearing failures (I do drive a lot) that I just wanted away from the brand at least for a while.

I have owned 3 S-series and all have required both front wheel bearings replaced at least once. My friend who still drives my old SL1 says he just did them again too. Do not miss that AT ALL.

Not much else I hated. The phrase "it is what it is" applies to these cars.
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote