SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
96ws6
96ws6 is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 vue v6 FWD transmission fluid

The manual says there is a transmission dipstick on this car but I can't find it anyone know where it is? Says it is in the back but i looked everywhere. There does not seem to be a trans pan either how do you change the fluid on this car?
96ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2007 vue v6 FWD transmission fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ws6 View Post
The manual says there is a transmission dipstick on this car but I can't find it anyone know where it is? Says it is in the back but i looked everywhere. There does not seem to be a trans pan either how do you change the fluid on this car?
It's there, just small and obscure. It's a little black loop way deep down on the driver's side up on the front of the engine. The trans pan is under the engine, and there's a fill port somewhere around there, though might choose to just fill through the dipstick tube.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

From the "How To" library . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59617
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
It's there, just small and obscure. It's a little black loop way deep down on the driver's side up on the front of the engine. The trans pan is under the engine, and there's a fill port somewhere around there, though might choose to just fill through the dipstick tube.
Blasphemy! We don't have a trans pan!

The fill plug is underneath the intake, somewhere below the throttlebody on the top of the transmission but, yes, it is MUCH easier to slide a tube on the dipstick tube and fill it using a funnel that way.
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout View Post
Blasphemy! We don't have a trans pan!

The fill plug is underneath the intake, somewhere below the throttlebody on the top of the transmission but, yes, it is MUCH easier to slide a tube on the dipstick tube and fill it using a funnel that way.

I bet a weeks pay I can pull the intake elephant trunk, remove the fill plug, fill the trans with 4 quarts +- 1/2 quart and put everything back faster then you can fill it through the tiny dipstick
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
96ws6
96ws6 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the input. I am pissed becuase when we bought it the dealer said the system is "sealed and there is not even a dip stick to check it....I was pretty sure this was BS Is any z1 fluied OK?
96ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
thanks for the input. I am pissed becuase when we bought it the dealer said the system is "sealed and there is not even a dip stick to check it....I was pretty sure this was BS Is any z1 fluied OK?
Have you located the dipstick? If not, look at battery ground post and shift 5 or 6 inches to left - and directly down - for dipstick.

I've used either GM ATF-Z1 or Honda ATF-Z1 ... there are other blends but if the transmission is as finicky as some claim, I don't want to get it P.O.'d at me.

There's a service manual extract for fluid change in post # 18 of this thread:

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=145295

However, there is a quantity error in the instructions ... amend the fill quantity per following:

Add 3.9 Liters (4.1 Qts) for AWD and 4.3 Liters (4.5 Qts) for FWD vehicles of Saturn ATF-Z1 fluid (P/N 22717466) through the transmission fill plug.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Sounds like the claims for the GM 4-speed automatic. That transmission doesn't have a dip stick, and the drain/fill procedure is akin to refilling the rear end on a RWD differential...

IMO don't take a chance with other Z1 compatible fluids, if it doesn't agree with the transmission, you'll have hell getting back to normal. It may take 3-4 drain/fills to get back to normal.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtube View Post
I bet a weeks pay I can pull the intake elephant trunk, remove the fill plug, fill the trans with 4 quarts +- 1/2 quart and put everything back faster then you can fill it through the tiny dipstick
You're on! Especially if the car hasn't had the fill plug removed before, I hear it's a real bear to crack loose

Yeah the dipstick method is slow, but it'd be a close race I think
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
mrtube
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
You're on! Especially if the car hasn't had the fill plug removed before, I hear it's a real bear to crack loose

Ok I'll own up. I cheated and used my old mans ratcheting torque wrench to break it lose. Was able to do it one handed Same with the drain plug.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:

I destroyed the first socket I used trying to open the fill plug the first time. It was a cheap one, and it couldn't take the torque from the 4 foot cheater bar I had one it...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
mrtube
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

BobbyP : yea, aluminum stuff can really stick. Then CRACK! it breaks free out of no where.

Or the tool breaks,
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
WLKVUE
WLKVUE is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I have never had any problem either draining or filling the transmission on my 2006 VUE with the V6. Because you can only partially drain it by removing the drain plug, I have done so every 25,000 miles. I also added a transmission cooler to help with the summer heat here in Texas. Now that I have 100,000 miles on it I plan on doing a complete drain and replacement by getting two 5 gallon buckets, filling one with enogh Z1 to completely refill the tranny and use the other bucket to catch the old fluid. I already have rubber hoses running from the tranny and radiator to the tranny fluid cooler. I will add an extension to both, then use the transmission itself to pump the new fluid in and the old fluid out. I just need to find an easy, safe way to get the car up high enough in the air to get the buckets under it. Shouldn't take very long for the transmission to make the swap.
WLKVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

That sounds like a procedure one would see on the Red Green Show
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote