saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 07-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
POLYMER-PANELS
POLYMER-PANELS is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default MagnaFlow / BETTER sound - '06 Vue RL

Hi all...

Haven't posted in a while...but, I'm back...

I just wanted to let everyone know about my fairly simple (and legal/non warranty voiding) exhaust modification to my '06 Vue Redline...

I had a Magnaflow - 3" in and out - muffler installed to replace the OEM one...and then removed the mid-muffler...

The think has a nice, mellow sound on acceleration...and if you STOMP it...wow...Sounds like a Honda 'NSX'...really!

I was a little apprehensive about removing the mid-muffler...because I didn't want it to sound noisy at idle...but, wow...!

That 3.5 Honda engine is something. I get a real kick out of the looks on other drivers at the stoplight drags...when I wipe them out...and that wailing sound my engine/exhaust makes at 5000 rpm and up...well...that's almost enough in itself to get respect!!

By the way...if you go to a Chrysler dealer, you might still be able to order decals/stick on IDs...for their 3.5 High Output engine...I have one on each side under the Saturn logo...That way, drivers beside me know that I am not 'just another van' with hot wheels...

Also, removed the rear seat entirely and carpeted the floor with a plywood subfloor to make it completely flat. Saves around 130 lb...

The K&N filter will be next...since, although I have a K&N in the stock location/can...the way the intake is - is very restrictive...

I'm looking to run the intake to just inside the lower grill ahead of the rad...

Anybody got any ideas...??

Polymer
- president - Toronto Redline Club -
-(my other car is an '88 Fiero Gt) -
POLYMER-PANELS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: MagnaFlow / BETTER sound - '06 Vue RL

If you're doing this much work....

One member moved his battery tray to the left side of the engine bay and ran a shorter direct intake where the current battery resides.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

I thought about relocating the battery to the rear by where the spare tire would be. Better for weight distribution.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
I thought about relocating the battery to the rear by where the spare tire would be. Better for weight distribution.

I'm sorry but that has to be the worst idea i've ever heard.

You do realize they usually keep the battery as close to the starter as possible due to the huge amount of current draw?

I'm sure the starter would love pulling 100-200A through 10FT of cable. This way it could start like your using jumper cables all the time.
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtube View Post
I'm sorry but that has to be the worst idea i've ever heard.

You do realize they usually keep the battery as close to the starter as possible due to the huge amount of current draw?

I'm sure the starter would love pulling 100-200A through 10FT of cable. This way it could start like your using jumper cables all the time.
The battery at the rear of the vehicle seems to work pretty well in the ION/Cobalt/G5
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
mrtube
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
The battery at the rear of the vehicle seems to work pretty well in the ION/Cobalt/G5
Perhaps it works better these days due to smaller engines and gear reduction starters. Still seems like a poor idea to me though. I will admit I do hate the elephant trunk intake. Instead of moving a few things and running a foot long hose. They ran a long one all the way across the engine to the other side.

Allwell.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
And pretty much everything German. And the LX cars. And the Lambdas. etc.

I'm pretty used to wires that can carry 100-200A anyways, I work with them at work for audio installs. And it doesn't take 200A to start a car. I wouldn't do it with anything less than a *GOOD* 4GA wire, 0 gauge is even better. But there's a HUGE number of vehicles that have this setup with no problems. And every refresh more and more cars are switching to it.

As an aside, the power wire that run from the back to the front on the V8 LX cars is a 4GA welding wire. It's not even as good as a high quality power cable for aftermarket stereos.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
mrtube
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
And pretty much everything German. And the LX cars. And the Lambdas. etc.

I'm pretty used to wires that can carry 100-200A anyways, I work with them at work for audio installs. And it doesn't take 200A to start a car. I wouldn't do it with anything less than a *GOOD* 4GA wire, 0 gauge is even better. But there's a HUGE number of vehicles that have this setup with no problems. And every refresh more and more cars are switching to it.

As an aside, the power wire that run from the back to the front on the V8 LX cars is a 4GA welding wire. It's not even as good as a high quality power cable for aftermarket stereos.

I can promise you it takes in excess of 200A to start many cars out there. At least older ones with V8's and old style starters. I was never able to start my SBC 350 with anything less then 4 AWG jumper cables and even then it cranked slow. Most older style V8's drew between 200-225A cranking. I'm obviously at fault for assuming modern engines did the same.

I'm curious the difference between "welding cable" and "good cable for audio" Although i'm sure this will start an argument, it always does.

I do not do audio installs for a living. I do however design and build my own audio amplifiers both low level and power. If I were to install an audio system that had a possibility of drawing 2400W in a car I would use nothing smaller then 0 or 00AWG wire.

My last install was a A/D/S / Eclipse system which drew around 80A at most and I used 4AWG.

However, none of this has to do with this thread. If you would like to continue discussing it I would be glad to via PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
trainfan360
trainfan360 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

its a great feeling when a 350z owner comes up to you and your tupperware tub at a light and says "nice saturn, sounds like mine [350z], just louder!" for the elephant trunk prob, i highly recommend the K&N cai.. why? 1) expect 5-9hp and 2-3mpg gain. 2) 0-60 went from +-6.5 to +-5.5. 3. since the intake goes all the way over the intake manifold all that added chrome really spices up the engine bay. 4) throaty beast noice. on the 3.5 hpe stickers, go to honda and get ivtec sticks they put on civic si
'05 black redline: "Night Fury"
trainfan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I'm a firm believer in KISS... Leave it under the hood.

The Delta chassis moved the battery to the trunk to allow it to have a normal life... The s-series battery life was substandard, at least all the one's I've owned...

I can tell you an amusing story about a sales consultant that lifted the hood of an ION to look for the battery...
Old 08-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
RB Racing
RB Racing is on a distinguished road

Hey Polimer,

Why 3" in 3" out instead of 2.5" in 2.5" out, also what length muffler did you use. I am looking at doing the same and was thinking of the 22" muffler as I don't want it to loud at idle and normal driving.

I did the same thing on my 07 Sierra installing a 22" Magnaflow with a Magnaflow tip which sounds great and the muffler will get a bit louder over time
(not too much though).

I also want to remove the mid muffler that's why I want the longer muffler.
RB Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Question Re: MagnaFlow / BETTER sound - '06 Vue RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainfan360 View Post
its a great feeling when a 350z owner comes up to you and your tupperware tub at a light and says "nice saturn, sounds like mine [350z], just louder!" for the elephant trunk prob, i highly recommend the K&N cai.. why? 1) expect 5-9hp and 2-3mpg gain. 2) 0-60 went from +-6.5 to +-5.5. 3. since the intake goes all the way over the intake manifold all that added chrome really spices up the engine bay. 4) throaty beast noice. on the 3.5 hpe stickers, go to honda and get ivtec sticks they put on civic si
Your 0-60 went down a full second from an intake swap???

And gained 2-3 mpg???

Wow, seems a little high on both counts to me. Especially dropping a full second to 60...
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

0-60 is still around high 6, low 7 seconds with or without the intake. Mid sixes perhaps if you're lightened, intake, full exhaust, on stock 16's.

5.5, riiiight.
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #14
trainfan360

2005 VUE Red Line

hey i didnt believe it either, but its true.... i cant explain it, it was essentially a perfect run, u know no wheelslip, as good of a shift as those saggy gm trannies can do, and just from the intake taking a second off? no, i misspoke on that, i also have the magnaflow exhaust, new belts and had the pops help me clean out intake manifold, valves and springs and cylinder heads and ports. the 5.5 was everything together, my fault guys. no yall are right the intake itself just takes off a few tenths. the mpg is just the intake though; that i did say correct.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Right, and I'm saying that 5.5 seconds to 60 is not possible in any variant of Vue ever created unless you're on nitrous.
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
trainfan360

2005 VUE Red Line

Well then my stopwatch is busted but thats what it said. It really not worth aruguing over anyway, right? My life doesn't depend on how fast my car gets to 60mph so its watever. I would like to see some one put nitrous on a vue, that would be killer!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #17
Esonn33046
Esonn33046 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

I have a magnaflow with dual 2.5 in dual 2.5 out from the headers that I had done custom. At first my friend convinced me to no pipes stright back but that so to loud. The magnflow sounds so sweet. I think that it sounds like a stock g35 but that just me. I have a stock k&n filter right now but i am looking to do something better but evething that I have read shows that all the ones out there slow you down. There is just nothing that we can do with out dropping 5g's and then the car may not hold up. Good luck but the magaflow is a great choice.

P.S. yea i said dual's on an 06 vue redline I am waiting to mod bumper to have the pipes come stright out the back
Esonn33046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
jrad
jrad is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

don't get started slapping stupid stickers all over a clean car.
jrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #19
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout View Post
Right, and I'm saying that 5.5 seconds to 60 is not possible in any variant of Vue ever created unless you're on nitrous.
burnout would know this for a fact from all his time at the track during his VUE years...

It takes a lot of work to get the times in the 6's...

Has nitrousvue ever posted any times? I assume he has nitrous.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #20
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Not with the nitrous. I don't know that he ever finished the nirous install on the Vue actually.

If you figure my stock AWD is good for 7, his modded FWD was good for ~6 with a burnout and warm tires. Without warm tires, not nearly that fast, the run we did where he did no burnout he spun significantly (and then gave up afterwards to make me feel better about having lost every single run up to then). Keep in mind, that was a really crappy night for times though.

And nitrous has the fastest Vue that is known to the forum. So I doubt any Vues other than maybe his would break out of the 6s 0-60.