saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 06-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
blast
blast is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Question L200 2001 Brake Shoes Spring Diagram Picture Video

Hi All,

I am new to the forum , this is my first post.
I was wondering if any of you have an actual picture or video of the back back brakes from a 2001 L200.
Here is the problem a couple of months ago my friend change the back brakes and I was not there to help him any way a couple of days ago for some reason all of the spring just fell in inside of the drum, needless to say it was making a lot of noise, well I decided to change the brake myself this time but since the spring came of I don't have the other side to compare.

I have a problems especially with the self adjuster it keep falling off.

The diagrams I had looked at are not very good therefore, I need an actual picture or video look at.

I went to Autozone.com registered looked at the diagrams and picture but what they have couldn't helped me.

Please help me
blast is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
jkbowen
jkbowen is on a distinguished road

Default Re: L200 2001 Brake Shoes Spring Diagram Picture Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast View Post
Hi All,

I am new to the forum , this is my first post.
I was wondering if any of you have an actual picture or video of the back back brakes from a 2001 L200.
Here is the problem a couple of months ago my friend change the back brakes and I was not there to help him any way a couple of days ago for some reason all of the spring just fell in inside of the drum, needless to say it was making a lot of noise, well I decided to change the brake myself this time but since the spring came of I don't have the other side to compare.

I have a problems especially with the self adjuster it keep falling off.

The diagrams I had looked at are not very good therefore, I need an actual picture or video look at.

I went to Autozone.com registered looked at the diagrams and picture but what they have couldn't helped me.

Please help me
Find Anything Out?
jkbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
hacadacalopolis
hacadacalopolis will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

You should do a search in the l- series threads.

http://www.justanswer.com/car/1pw06-...01-saturn.html
hacadacalopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
TurboZutek
TurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really nice

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Those drawings are not very useful (and are wrong) for some L-Series cars.

On mine there is one single cleat on the end of the adjuster (not two as shown) and there is also a clip which must be oriented either up or down (depending on side) that the line drawings don't even address. There are also two different types, one with a pull tang as shown and one with a sprocket and ratchet arm.

The adjusters are also handed and it's possible to mix up the carrier and reliever from each side, just to add to the confusion.

The Haynes, shop manual, all-data and the instructions with the brake shoes I bought all said something different for the layout back there. It's possible to assemble it all up and it works as an automatic loosener instead of a lightener! I'd have saved hours if I'd had just one single photograph to work from.

That's the bad news. The good news is that I'm doing this job on another car in the next couple of weeks and I'll take some pictures of what I find!

Chris...
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

sorry I didn't know they had different drum hardware setup

Last edited by hacadacalopolis; 06-17-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
TurboZutek
TurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really nice

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacadacalopolis View Post
sorry I didn't know they had different drum hardware setup
Yeah me either until I got halfway into the job and figured out I had the wrong parts! Oops!!

Ok, I did find some pictures from that job though, so I hope these help someone until I can get some better ones!

Here's the old cylinder I was replacing (bleed nipple sheared off)

New one on and the adjusters cleaned up a wee bit. So you can see the odd little clip around the adjuster sprocket - that has to go facing up the way or the adjuster will just loosen off each time the handbrake gets pulled.

Basically, the design is just a pile of ***** and there really should be discs back here on a car of this size and power. Drum brakes are good: for washing machines.

Chris...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Cylinder.jpg (200.4 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg New Cylinder.jpg (200.2 KB, 293 views)
Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

That looks exactly like the pictures I was about to put up. I don't see any difference from my 2003 l sedan that I got on the floor
Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
hacadacalopolis

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC1

That is exact same hardware setup I have
Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
TurboZutek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yeah the pictures I posted were from a 2003 facelift car and has clips and single prongs on the end of the adjusters. My friends 2000 L had brake hardware exactly like the line drawings posted earlier, (double prong and no clips) but I didn't get any pictures of that one.

Chris...
Old 12-27-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
rdavila
rdavila is on a distinguished road

I installed new drums and brakes on my girlfriends 2001 L200 Saturn and after she drove it for a day or two, the brakes started making a clunking/thumping noise when she applies the brakes. I removed the rear wheels and found the brakes to be loose. I saw the two pix posted in this thread and The brakes on my girlfriends car are the same. I adjusted the brakes and after two days they loosened up again. Is she suppose to apply the hand brake from time to time so that the brakes adjust?
rdavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When the brakes are serviced, the star wheel adjusters are not interchangeable. They're marked 'LEFT' and 'RIGHT' as one turns clockwise while the other turns counterclockwise as both expand when brakes wear. Putting them on the wrong side would turn them in the opposite direction, retracting them........
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #12
born again
born again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to all

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I have an early build 2000 and it looks identical to the pictures. There is only one spring at the top, not two as in the referenced line drawing. Note - The fork on the end of the adjuster screw has a slot in it that goes over the web of the brake shoe. With aftermarket shoes the web is a little bit thinner. This can allow the thin sheet metal cam/rachet thing to slip into the gap between the fork slot and the web, making it non-functional. The cure is to slightly close up the gap by tapping it with a hammer.
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #13
rdavila

which side would be considered the right side and the left side?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #14
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavila View Post
which side (of what part or ....? - insertion mine) would be considered the right side and the left side?
Perhaps I'm slow witted tonight, but I'm not certain about which item you're referring to in the above quote. Please clarify this.

If you'd upload pictures it may help us in assisting you with the problem you are trying to correct. Do you need diagrams from us? When I replaced my rear drum brakes three or four years ago, I followed the Haynes Repair Manual for the L Series Cars and had no problems re-assembling it correctly.
350K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. I fear that I will be correct. I'd rather be wrong.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavila View Post
which side would be considered the right side and the left side?
From the driver's seated position, looking forward, passenger side is right side and drivers side is left side.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #16
rdavila

Thanks for reassuring that what I was thinking was left and right was correct. The rear brakes loosened up again after one day of use. I removed the rear wheels and checked the adjusters and everything seems to be correct. I was reviewing the photos posted but they don't show which brake shoe hole the spring that is connected to the adjustment lever is inserted in. I'm thinking that I might have it in the wrong one and that the spring doesn't have enough tension so it doesn't pull the lever down like it should. I am going to try to move the spring to the other hole. I will post what happens.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #17
rdavila

Well, I tried moving the spring to the lower hole on the brake shoe but it was too tight. I bought a Haynes manual and looked at the photos and saw that the spring was in the correct hole to begin with. What I did see was that the spring was in the hole through the back of the shoe. I had it in through the front. I also noticed that the adjustment screw has a square spacer that fits into a slot on the fork facing to the top. This spacer moves forward and seems to keep the adjustment lever from engaging with the gear to pull it down. I removed it and reinstalled it facing down. I adjusted the brakes again. I will check them again tomorrow. Still
Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #18
svenwilliams
svenwilliams is on a distinguished road

rdavila - Would you have any photos of the assembly to post?
My early 2000 LS1 has three springs and a "bracket" retaining the adjuster. It does not match any of the drawings or previous photos, although TurboZutek photos are very close.
svenwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #19
rdavila

Unfortunately I don't have a smart phone to take a pic to post but the photos that are on this thread are basically the same. Well I turned the adjustment forks upside down (the long part of the adjustment assy. with the slot at the hole end) to allow the square metal spacer to be facing down. the brakes still loosened up and make the same noise. I am going to find a way to get a photo to post it. thanks. Still
Old 01-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #20
rdavila

Is the adjustment lever suppose to push the gear up when the brakes are applied or does it pull it down after the brakes are released? With the drum off, I pulled on the parking brake and saw that the lever goes up and it then spins the gear when it comes down. The brakes really need to open quite a bit in order for this to happen. I don't think that they are opening enough to do this when the drum is on. I'm thinking that the adjustment assembly's are on the wrong side. But I checked them and the one with the R is on the passenger side and the one with the L is on the driver's side. According to an earlier post, this is correct. Not sure what to do next. I am up to any suggestions. thanks