SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 10-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
docderek05
docderek05 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Does Anyone Know where the Fuel Filter is located on a 2005 Redline?

Ok..here we go!
My 2005 Vue RL has just shy of 100k on it.
I decided it must be time for an in-line fuel filter change, so I called my local dealer
Saturn of Warwick, Rhode Island. I asked for the part. they said sure it will take two days to get it. so..they ordered me Part Number 19236622. filter asm. $36.56 So I bring the new filter to my brother's who has a service station. we put the car on his hydraulic lift. Up it went. Ok...where is this filter located? followed the fuel lines..out of the tank. followed up to the charcoal cannister that holds the fuel pump. Now a rational person would say..where is the fuel filter..its BEFORE the fuel pump right? apparently not.
so I cannot find this cannister the size of a can of beans..with three inlet /outlets on it. So..I call Saturn of Warwick. Could you Please tell me where the filter is? umm..hang on.."We Don't Know." was my answer, from my Dealer! I had the car in the air on the lift, and they say.."We Don't Know?..the Service department technician of my Dealer does not know where the fuel filter is?! then they went as far as to say..well its listed as a half hour change. so I said..well where is it? and they go..we THINK its above the Fuel Tank!. so I say..you mean to tell me that I will have to take down the fuel tank to change the fuel filter?! Then in all the time you have been in Business selling Saturn Vues, you have never changed a fuel filter in a V6? and the Tech goes, Umm..nobody here has ever changed one, and there is a guy who has been here 12 years!!! Ladies and Gentleman..does anyone have an idea where this filter is located? I cannot believe this nonsense. Please, any advice. I assume the filter is NOT above the Fuel tank..as that would blow their half hour service tag out of water. Could it Actually be IN the Fuel tank?!

Last edited by docderek05; 10-11-2008 at 08:50 PM.
docderek05 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Does Anyone Know where the Fuel Filter is located on a 2005 Redline?

I searched on rockauto.com and saturnparts.com, and neither of them have a listing for a fuel filter for your VUE.
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Does Anyone Know where the Fuel Filter is located on a 2005 Redline?

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assy inside the gas tank. I don't believe it's on the maintenance schedule.

The 2002-2003 VUE's have the filter on the outside by the drivers side of the fuel tank.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by docderek05 View Post
Ok...where is this filter located? followed the fuel lines..out of the tank. followed up to the charcoal cannister that holds the fuel pump. Now a rational person would say..where is the fuel filter..its BEFORE the fuel pump right? apparently not.
so I cannot find this cannister the size of a can of beans..with three inlet /outlets on it.
This is amusing!? And frustrating too!? Its an assumption that the tank holds some kind of fuel sock or something similar as a crude filtering media before gas goes into the fuel pump. There may be another strainer/screen on the inlet to the pump itself, then the output would go to the inlet of the real fuel filter (the one you bought) external to the tank and mounted somewhere for access. Most posts has the filter just past the tank in one of the rear wheel wells hidden behind the splash shield otherwise its most likely in the engine area. I wouldn't think this filter would be in the tank if its a replacement during normal service intervals. The injectors have their own screen mesh filters, all to ensure that something won't clog an injector during its lifetime.

Having a lift should make it easier to locate the filter and as troubling as it may seem from your revealing conversations with your local Saturn service shop, look again a little more slowly. I'm curious too as to how this turns out.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
docderek05
docderek05 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

If there is a filter in the tank, in some kind of apparatus, then what exactly is the Part Number 19236622 they gave me, and charged me 37 bucks for?
I have had a few cars apart in my time, but I have never taken a tank apart, to get at a fuel filter, so that would be a new experience for me, although I am sure some cars do have this set up. But why would saturn techs say they assign a half hour time to it for a change, if you have to drop the tank..it takes between lifting it..releasing fuel pressure, dropping the staps that hold the tank up..lowering the tank, etc. That seems pretty odd, is they only allot a half hour for a fuel filter change?! (rag, rag, moan moan..lol) ..Doc
docderek05 is offline   Reply With Quote