SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods

Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
NJ FRR
NJ FRR is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default H.I.D problems...

i had just gotten 6,500 K HIDs and tryed putting them in both balloces work but when either one is placed on the passanger side it goes on flickers and turns off. i tryed inverting it and it only works on the high beams on the passanger side. so im guessing thew low beam harness is not getting a full 12V??????any ideas thanks. thanks
NJ FRR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line
Default Re: H.I.D problems...

Have you already pulled the DRL fuse?
2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos
fotovue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Sounds like you haven't pulled the DRL relay/fuse. If that doesn't fix it you need to wire up a relay to provide them power from the battery directly.
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
B|o|B|o
B|o|B|o is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

or you could add a resistor.....
mods:
KN Filter
HID low 6000K
HID yellow Fog
Tinted front windows
Knight Rider scanner in front Irmscher grill hahaha
B|o|B|o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

I'm interested to see if this looks bad or not without projectors, I've never seen a vue with retrofit HIDs before.

You are taking pictures, RIGHT?
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
FGCA_XRL

2004 VUE Red Line

I posted mine here

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=17

I think I have more on the camera somewhere.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I converted both my low beams and my fog lights with 5000k Diamond white xenons.

Talk about turning night into day! The fog lights are already aimed low not to bother other drivers. Amazing how well illuminated the road is now.

If you really want your DRL's, you can bypass your DRL resistor and the DRL's will get full voltage.

There's a VUE light bulb list I copied from this forum that listed the fog lights as 880's, it's actually a H11 lamp. I should have checked first, but now I have a set of 880 HID lamps I need to re-sell.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
phatbasterd
phatbasterd is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
1999 SL2

Our fogs are 880 those are the bulbs i have in there now.

Fog/Driving light
880ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
phatbasterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Thanks... They must have changed with the 2006 update. I updated my list. The 880 has a slightly smaller bayonet base than the H11.

The whole 880 lamp fit inside the opening in my fog lights. Spring Hill we have a problem...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotovue View Post
Have you already pulled the DRL fuse?
And??? How is Spooky doing?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
NJ FRR

2006 VUE 2.2L

yea i have been busy........... ithink im gonna try to do that tommrow hopefully the fuse will solve the problem if not relays will be put in
Old 10-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
And??? How is Spooky doing?
Spooky is awaiting a new tire at the Goodyear store right now.
But as to your real question, I'm too confused by electrical things to do the conversion myself, I'm waiting for backup from a friend.
13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ FRR View Post
i had just gotten 6,500 K HIDs and tryed putting them in both balloces work but when either one is placed on the passanger side it goes on flickers and turns off. ........ so im guessing thew low beam harness is not getting a full 12V??????any ideas thanks.
I can't help but wonder if all Saturns, if not all GM cars, use similar wiring for daytime running lights; when in auto/DRL mode the headlights, whether high or low beams, run in series thereby reducing the current to each lamp and prolonging their life. Because the majority of stock headlamps are halogen, reducing the voltage while wiring the lamps in series (with similar reduction in power) will not dim the output enough to be noticed.
As soon as the lamps are manually switched on or automatically switched to night lights, the lamps are switched from series wiring to parallel wiring - full 12v power is applied to each lamp for full light output. I'm presuming this applies for every daytime running light vehicle in GM's fleet based on my FSM for the L200/L300 cars. The FSM describes this series/parallel circuit for either the high or low beams when in DRL mode so its not a stretch to think that all GM DRL's are wired this way for consistency and ease of troubleshooting if they're wired the same way. You'll need your wiring diagram to verify this. Correct me if I'm wrong. Going on this assumption then it would explain why HID's with ballasts need parallel wiring - only separate 12v power to each ballast in order to operate HID's properly. It also explains why the second HID flickers if its in series (from the DRL wiring) with the left headlight. The two HID's are drawing current from one line, the bulk of the current is only enough to keep the left side HID lit while nothing is left for the right side. The HID's most likely require their own relays for direct power to each HID ballast, removing any possibility of running them in DRL mode. Unfortunately, its either all power on or off, no in-between as in DRL mode.

You can try finding out this information if its mentioned in your set of instructions that came with your HID's or from sites that can answer questions of running HID's in DRL mode. My guess is that it doesn't work because of the high current demand to initially start each lamp. DRL's, on my first impression, were a bad idea but as I read my FSM and found the wiring to be in series for DRL mode, this supplies less voltage/current to plain lamps but the relay circuit immediately switches to parallel mode so each lamp will receive the full 12v current for normal lighting whether I manually turn on the lamps or when they're automatically switched for night time illumination. The selling point for me was the lower current drawn that prolongs the life of these halogens while they operate more, along with the added safety of being on during the day. I became a convert, reluctantly because of the longer running life while in DRL mode. This isn't mentioned too much when complaints are lodged against DRL's. They're still not required by federal or state laws as I posted a long time ago but I've seen the advantages for daytime running lights from a simple safety point of view. This is for me a win-win situation.

Given the above and the assumption that your car runs series/parallel wiring for your DRL's, the HID's won't work because of the uniqueness of the way they work requiring separate ballasts for each lamp, negating their use as true daytime running lights as the stock lamps are wired. You'll be running them as plain HID's whether you want to turn them on during the day or not and without the benefit of the auto mode DRL operation unless you're very good at examining the OEM wiring as it is possible with some thought. This would allow automatic HID operation using the auto DRL wiring to switch on the HID's w/o you having to manually turn them on. They'll just be on full power and not reduced power as the OEM set-up operates.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
MYVU2NV
MYVU2NV is on a distinguished road

I have H.I.D.s installed in mine and I can't begin to tell you how sweet it's hooked up:

OFF: This will turn off the DRL lamp on the dashboard or lights if it is dark (fogs if they are on).

AUTO: The DRL lamp is lit on the dashboard during the day however all lamps are OFF. At night all are ON but the fog lamps.

PARKING: The same as having them in the AUTO position. Not sure about night as it just dawned on me now to check.

HEADLAMPS: This will ONLY turn on the headlamps during the day at full power. If I want the parking lamps to come on as well I press the fog lamps button that will turn on everything else. At night the lights will come on as if the switch was in the auto mode.

I leave it only on HEADLAMPS so it ONLY has my headlamps on during the day (shuts off when my car is off) and turns on everything at night.

Tell me...How sweet is this hookup?! Everytime I leave the Saturn Service Department they turn the switch back to AUTO. I chuckle everytime.
MYVU2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
B|o|B|o
B|o|B|o is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

^^ interesting ^^
mods:
KN Filter
HID low 6000K
HID yellow Fog
Tinted front windows
Knight Rider scanner in front Irmscher grill hahaha
B|o|B|o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
NJ FRR

2006 VUE 2.2L

so both harness are getting a 11V so im guessing im going to have to run relays, any ideas on if the relays draw alot of power from your car or htey are minimal.?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #17
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The coil of a relay will be an extremely low load compared to the headlights. Many older Saturn drivers use them to avoid the parasitic voltage drops in the factory wiring.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #18
FGCA_XRL

2004 VUE Red Line

Have you checked to make sure that the kit itself isn't bad? Try testing the kit on another vehicle, it could just be a bad kit.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
NJ FRR

2006 VUE 2.2L

we tryed it on my friends sierra 2500 they work fine also do you think it could be a bad ground for that side of the headlight?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #20
g6on20s
g6on20s is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
2004 VUE 2.2L

Hello all. I am new here and I have been searching for the last hour or so, trying to find some answers, before posting a useless thread, nor am I trying to hijack this one, but I am getting very confused now.

I want to add hids this weekend, I have a Oracle 6500k kit ready to go. DRL fuse and relay has been pulled first thing after I signed the papers for the Vue. Pulled them out in the detail bay at the dealer before I left the lot.

I am getting worried a bit with the things I have been reading about putting hids in the Vue.

On 2 of my other cars, I pulled all drl related fuses/relays, hooked everything up, mounted the ballasts, and I was done,. Never a problem as of yet.

I figured it would be just as easy on the Vue, as it is GM, and so are my other 2 cars that have the hids. But I have been reading that you have to add extra relays, some say you do, some say you dont. Some say you have to add resistors, some say you dont. Same goes for "jumpers"?

So what is the truth?? I have the hid kit right in front of me. I want to be able to go out there, pull the headlights, mount the ballasts, wire it up and be done.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time, and again, sorry to hijack this thread.

btw: 2004 Vue 2.2 AWD. Now to go and try to find answers to my other 2 questions.
g6on20s is offline   Reply With Quote