SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
salmonito
salmonito is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Replacing Exhaust Manifold w/ built in California CC with a Regular manifold

Hi everyone, this is my first post, however I have used this site to do a lot of good to my car. Just gaping right plugs and replacing those Bosch once made clicking noise disappear. Never thought plugs could do that. I have SL2 '96 Manual with 155K miles (55K mine). To my dislike I have California emission compliant car, I do not live there... It is time to replace the cat, I believe I have a restrained flow in my exhaust because I have occasional loss of power. For example going on 4th about 1500- 2500 rpms I have to floor the throttle and no action Its like dead sometimes. RPMS go very slowly up, no acceleration, another day it goes fast in the same driving style. What could it be?
Can I replace my exhaust manifold that has build in second catalytic converter with regular one? what part to get, has anyone done that. Is it just a simple switch? I will have to replace pre cat (rusted like hell) under the car and the second cat as well.
Here are things that I recently did (just so you know) :

Replaced ECTS + connector.
Plugs and wires (Autolite like NGKs) .
Cleaned Throttle body + EGR, replaced both gaskets.
Changed Valve cover gasket.
Changed Vacuum harness on Throttle body (cracked those hoses)
PCV + grommet.
Replaced thermostat.
Replaced first O2 sensor.

Any help and advice will be appreciated about the problem of occasional(4 times a week) loss of power/acceleration and replacing that California exhaust manifold with unrestricted one. Thank you.
salmonito is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
salmonito

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Replacing Exhaust Manifold w/ built in California CC with a Regular manifold

I forgot to mention I have also replaced fuel filter.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Default Re: Replacing Exhaust Manifold w/ built in California CC with a Regular manifold

Sounds just like my 97 SL. I'm going in Monday for a new Cat. converter. I've done everything else. I'm from California so I will get a Cal. converter. Hope it cures my problem!

Jerry
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
myolbug
Advanced Member
myolbug will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

I just got my 98 SC2 running after it sitting all winter. I replaced the timing chain, and installed a 92 SL2 header/downpipe.. This car was a California Car originally and it had the Cali Pre-Cat. When I unbolted it and looked in it backwards, I couldn't believe that the car could run as good as it did. I mean that thing is crazy!
Then thing that you will run into doing this is that you will lose the stock forward pipe hanger, that is just forward of the cat. Additionally, the down pipe on the 91/92 header is quite a bit longer than the stock one. You will have to cut the pipe on both, to get them to match up. It is pretty simple to see once you start hanging everything. A sawzall and a new metal blade made for pipe is your friend, believe me!!
Did it make a difference? Well, I still need to get it welded, and some of what I am feeling is probubly due to all that I did, but the one thing that I noticed is that before I parked it for the winter, I didn't have torque steer when I punched it, which I did when the car was younger.
Now, I have it back, and it feels faster, the speedo seems to climb faster, but I haven't dyno'ed it, as no one around here has a wheel dyno. It felt sort of sluggish before, and that seems to be gone now.

Now I want to start saving money to get a good exhaust hung after the cat.

Time to lose the stock stuff that is there now.

Oh, by the way, The pipe after the 91/92 flex pipe is smaller than the the pipe just ahead of the cat. I was able to temporarily put the smaller inside of the of the pipe on the front of the cat. I clamped it as best as I could, and then I wrapped some wire around it, in order to create a makeshift pipe hanger.
Overall, I am happy with how it all came out. Now to get it all welded on Monday!

Sorry for the long post, but I think that you should do it. I wouldn't mind having a better header on it,as the Saturn one has some built in restrictions, but I was able to mitigate one of the biggies, and that is taking a die grinder to the ports on it. There was a LOT of welding splatter in the way of the flow. I ground it all out that I could get to and then flap sanded it to a mirror polish. I imagine this had to make a difference, as there was so much in the way before. It really was nasty, but now it is SMOOTH!!!
If it is OK to disarm law abiding citizens to reduce crime, then it stands to reason to disarm the military to prevent war!
myolbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
salmonito

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Thank you for your replies! I would still love to see more. Can anyone point me to the parts that I should get to replace my California exhaust manifold? Napa links, etc.? Thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
salmonito

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Sounds just like my 97 SL. I'm going in Monday for a new Cat. converter. I've done everything else. I'm from California so I will get a Cal. converter. Hope it cures my problem!

Jerry
Just let us know. I am very curious.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
myolbug
Advanced Member
myolbug will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

This is a pic of the 91/92 SL2 header. You'll need to get two exhaust gaskets from the dealer, one for the manifold to the head and the manifold to the down pipe. They are both cheap! Also, you should get a good torque wrench, in order to ensure that you don't over torque the exhaust manifold studs. The flex pipe on this one is screwed up, but there is normally pipe coming off of it.

For some reason the pic won't load, so...
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp?photo=41591
If it is OK to disarm law abiding citizens to reduce crime, then it stands to reason to disarm the military to prevent war!
myolbug is offline   Reply With Quote