SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 03-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
davesaturn
davesaturn is on a distinguished road

Default Does Matel make the ION2 Ignition switch?

I was thinking about how cheep this ignition switch problem feels, and I realized that I would expect this type of "CLUNKY" behaviour from lock on a toy safe, or girls diary. But this isn't a toy. it is a car that cost $1000's and is only a couple years old.

It is unimaginable, that such a young car would be able to have the lock cylinder goto C-ra-p so easily.

I've owned a lot of cars in my 50 years. I don't recall EVER having to replace a lock cylinder on a car. This has always been a no-brainer part of a car. (1) key go in, (2) key comes out. But now, Matel has made a new kind of lock called, "The dealer renewable income lock". It's the lock that lets the dealer bend you over and pork you until they feel they've porked enough.

I am very angry

I AM VERY ANGRY
davesaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Does Matel make the ION2 Ignition switch?

I had to LOL @ bend you over and pork you until they have porked enough. I have been fortunate enough to not have any issues with the ignition switch in my ION yet. *fingers crossed* I realize the point is that this should not be a problem in the first place, but realistically speaking, your two year old car should have some warranty left, no? Get it fixed and be done with it.
hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
davesaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottmwz_finest View Post
I had to LOL @ bend you over and pork you until they have porked enough. I have been fortunate enough to not have any issues with the ignition switch in my ION yet. *fingers crossed* I realize the point is that this should not be a problem in the first place, but realistically speaking, your two year old car should have some warranty left, no? Get it fixed and be done with it.
warranty? no

porked? yes

oink! (which is pig for ouch!)
Old 03-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
QCs_R4_Girls
QCs_R4_Girls is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1998 SL2

I understand your frustration wholeheartedly. I'm on my 3rd one myself and have since resorted to doing the replacement myself. I've walked dozen of people through this as well. It's not difficult by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaturn View Post
I don't recall EVER having to replace a lock cylinder on a car.
That's because you're not replacing the ignition lock cylinder. You're replacing the ignition switch, which is a completely different part.
Ignition lock cylinder is where you stick the key.
Ignition switch is behind lock cylinder and is a square flat box with grease and non-rotating parts that is part of the security system of the car.
If you don't believe me, try ordering a new ignition lock cylinder and you'll realize this will not solve your problem. (I've already done that)

I realize that things go wrong with cars, whether it is abuse, neglect, or faulty production. I've had plenty of things go wrong with my car. I've had squeaky bushings, clunking swaybars, faulty ignition switches more times than most, and some bad sensor that fubared up my cruise control, horn, and airbag sensor all at once. I take the problems in stride. I mean, honestly, I bought the car brand spanking new off the truck. It didn't even make it to the lot. The Ion is an economy car. In laymens terms, it's cheap. Don't expect it to be like a Benz in quality, performance, or reliability. You get what you pay for. Live and learn. You want a better car? You're gonna have to shell out some more money. I don't know if you know this, but look carefully. The car is held together with plastic clips. The headlights are secured by monster allen wrenches. The bolts that hold the car together have plastic cores. GM really broke the bank when they produced this car. Why should the electrical internals be any different?

If you honestly want to know how to do it yourself, let me know. I can walk you through every step and won't charge you a cent for it, unlike the dealer. But if you recently got this replaced, it should fix it because they redesigned the ignition switch with a new grease that is supposed to not cause all the headaches that the old one did. Here's to hoping, at least.
"Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph."

3 - 2006 Ion Quad Coupe 2.2L, Manual, Black
2 - 2002 SC2, Manual, Silver
1 - 1998 SL2, Manual, Blue
QCs_R4_Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #5
davesaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCs_R4_Girls View Post
That's because you're not replacing the ignition lock cylinder. You're replacing the ignition switch, which is a completely different part.
Ignition lock cylinder is where you stick the key.
Ignition switch is behind lock cylinder and is a square flat box with grease and non-rotating parts that is part of the security system of the car.
If you don't believe me, try ordering a new ignition lock cylinder and you'll realize this will not solve your problem. (I've already done that)
I've read many stories from people having ignition switch (area) problems. My problem is that my car won't turn off. it runs until the oil is s-ucked from all the wells in all the oil fields throughout the universe, and then it continues until all zero point energy is pulled from every point in the multiverse. It is insane to have a car that won't turn off. The normal problem is the reverse: bad cars don't turn on. that's the rule. My car uses the on switch as a perverse trap, in which the evil car takes the innocent driver all the way to the end of the journey only to rip the happiness away at the last possible second. BAD BAD CAR!!!

This is not part of the security system. This is what you get when you design cars using drunk engineers and "Brave New World" factory workers.

Quote:
I realize that things go wrong with cars, whether it is abuse, neglect, or faulty production. I've had plenty of things go wrong with my car. I've had squeaky bushings, clunking swaybars, faulty ignition switches more times than most, and some bad sensor that fubared up my cruise control, horn, and airbag sensor all at once. I take the problems in stride. I mean, honestly, I bought the car brand spanking new off the truck. It didn't even make it to the lot. The Ion is an economy car. In laymens terms, it's cheap. Don't expect it to be like a Benz in quality, performance, or reliability. You get what you pay for. Live and learn. You want a better car? You're gonna have to shell out some more money. I don't know if you know this, but look carefully. The car is held together with plastic clips. The headlights are secured by monster allen wrenches. The bolts that hold the car together have plastic cores. GM really broke the bank when they produced this car. Why should the electrical internals be any different?
the problems you describe should'nt be tolerated. plastic clips, and plastic core screws? GM should be blowed up, and a time machine should be created SPECIFICALLY FOR THE TASK of going back in time and killing the parents of Daddy Goodwrench.

are you saying that economy equals krap? why bother creating a piece of poop? The only reason is to lure in the last dollar from people who can't afford $30k+ for a go-kart. Evil whores of buisiness should be lined up against a wall and blowed up good. real good.

Quote:

If you honestly want to know how to do it yourself, let me know. I can walk you through every step and won't charge you a cent for it, unlike the dealer. But if you recently got this replaced, it should fix it because they redesigned the ignition switch with a new grease that is supposed to not cause all the headaches that the old one did. Here's to hoping, at least.
Related trivia:

I'm told, that since the lock cylinder is stuck ON, the only way to remove the lock cylinder is to break the housing. is that true? I'm told there are little alien-like spiny thingies that are protruding like cactus thorns causing infinite chaos (approx).

The dealer wants $71 for a lock cylinder that should cost $20.

the dealer was estimating $250ish labor ($95/hr). I guess dealer techs are slower than normal techs, and their work is like that of the gods?

I've heard that a dangling key chain can initiate the problem.

I've heard that having too many keys on the key chain causes the problem

if the previous two items are true, then GM really should be blowed up good. real good.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
Diesel_Clatter
Diesel_Clatter is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Not sure if it is the right part but a quick scan of Rockauto this morning shows...

ACDELCO Part # D1461F {#10392423}
SWITCH,IGN & START

$14.94
Great Minds Think alike...

So do we!
Diesel_Clatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
vintagegz
vintagegz is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

note that this part retails for $59.70 in Canada! Only $27.54 in the USA.
vintagegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
migs1974
migs1974 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Mattel > Matel.
poop
migs1974 is offline   Reply With Quote