saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 07-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
silverION1
silverION1 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question 2008 VUE... Manual trans??

I've been seeing conflicting information about whether or not the 08 VUEs will be available with a 5-speed manual.

From what I've gathered from reading on here, that option was canned by GM.

I was just reading a review on cars.com, and it said this:

The front-wheel-drive XE uses a 164-horsepower, 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that drives a four-speed automatic; a five-speed manual transmission will become available in calendar 2008.

Does anyone have any definitive answers as to whether or not the 5-speed is definitely out? The 08 VUE has started to grow on me, and I'm seriously considering getting one eventually, but I love my stick shift, so if theres a chance it will be out later, I'll wait for it.
silverION1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
desertpar
desertpar is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2008 VUE... Manual trans??

I can't say for sure, but the 2008 online ordering guide which was updated 6/29/07 only lists a 4-speed automatic for the 4 cylinder and greenline models and a 6-speed automatic for 6 cylinder XE and XR models. There is no mention of a standard transmission for any model.
desertpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

The Opel Antara (of which the Vue is a twin) is available with manual trans, so I assume it would be technically feasible to simply "drop it in".

Unfortunately, I suspect getting the EPA approval for US and the cost associated to bring to market in a manual trans configuration may be prohibitive for the low % man trans sales in US versus Europe.
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
raybccul
raybccul is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to see this question being asked. I was beginning to worry that I was the last guy who prefers a Manual transmission to an automatic, no matter how technologically advanced and no matter how good the manumatic is.

I just read the latest road test of the 2008 Vue XR AWD in Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...ue-xr-awd.html) and although they ding it kind of hard for weight and fuel economy, it gets high marks pretty much every where else including the statement "The Nicest Saturn Interior We’ve Ever Encountered". However this article also seems to confirm that there will not be a manual transmission anywhere in sight for '08 Vue. Although I can't find which magazine said it, I read that even the hot-rod Red Line edition due in Fall won't have a manual trans.

I'm so disappointed with Saturn for joining the crowd in purging manual transmissions from their lineups that I wrote a rater long letter to Saturn, submitted from their web site "Contact Us" page, telling them how disappointing it was to hear that the "Different kind of car company" that I have been such a big fan of is drinking the corporate Kool-aid in the belief that there really aren't enough of us row-your-own folks left in The States to justify offering manual transmissions. I've also come across a forum on GM Insider News caled "Letters to GM" to which I plan to post the same letter. Perhaps if we can all get to gether and get our voices heard, maybe someone will take notice. I certainly still hope and believe it's possible within Saturn to make a difference. I encourage others to join me in demanding manual transmissions.

Thanks
Ray
2002 SL2
Riverside, CA
raybccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybccul View Post
I'm so disappointed with Saturn for joining the crowd in purging manual transmissions from their lineups that I wrote a rater long letter to Saturn, submitted from their web site "Contact Us" page, telling them how disappointing it was to hear that the "Different kind of car company" .....
Saturn no longer uses this slogan, so, in effect, we they aren't.....

Manual transmissions account for less that 5% of all sales, so you do the math...

saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I'm not sure in which car magazine I read the following a few years back, but to paraphrase the comment on manual transmissions:

"if you were to clean-sheet design a modern car in the 21st century with the best technology for the driver and driving experience, a manual transmission wouldn't be on the list of features ..."

I think this was directed more at the manual stick + foot clutch technology as being outdated, not that driver shouldn't have control over gear selection or have engine braking, etc. Formula I cars have clutchless paddle shifters, so why not? I suppose the "Tap Shift" automatic is a minor move in the right direction, assuming it works as advertised.
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
cohocarl
cohocarl is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

I guess I'm one of the 5% of us (at least here in the U.S.) that prefer manual transmissions. I don't want this thread to turn into a "Which Transmission is Better" spitting match, but some of us prefer a manual for several reasons.

I have an 04 Vue 5-speed and haven't had a minute trouble with it, and I'm happy with the 28-30mpg it gets. I love the looks of the new 08 Vue, but if it's not available with a manual mixer, I'll pass.

Last edited by cohocarl; 07-06-2007 at 08:46 AM.
cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohocarl View Post
I guess I'm one of the 5% of us (at least here in the U.S.) that prefer manual transmissions. I don't want this thread to turn into a "Which Transmission is Better" spitting match, but some of us prefer a manual for several reasons.

I have an 04 Vue 5-speed and haven't had a minute trouble with it, and I'm happy with the 28-30mpg it gets. I love the looks of the new 08 Vue, but if it's not available with a manual mixer, I'll pass.
I understand. I also have an '04 5spd (sport plus II yay!) but I also know that most (I mean like 20 to 1) Americans prefer automatics. it's not so much that the companies don't want to make them, it's that people don't buy them. even w/ trucks; you can't get a well equipped pick up w/ a stick. they have been relegated to the bottom of the pile work truck segment.
for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

The Opel is sold in Europe, correct? A much larger % of drivers in Europe drive standard transmissions than we do on this side of "the pond". I guess we're just lazy Americans......

I have the sport transmission on my Protege with the +/- shifting ability. It's OK. It's kinda like driving a manual transmission, but not really. My transmission is the type that won't shift unless I tell it to-> so if I miss a + tap, the engine will just keep going up to red line. But the transmission will downshift on it's own as I slow down for a stop. I'll only downshift it manually if I need to be in a certain gear to go powering through a corner or if I need a little extra "umfph" to pass someone. BUT, there is a major potential downfall: because the transmission downshifts automatically, what happens when I'm doing highway speeds and have to jump on the brakes (no ABS on the car) and I lock up the wheels? The transmission will think the car is stopped and downshift to 1st gear. Then what happens if I release the brake, either all the way or enough to unlock the tires, and I'm going too fast for 1st gear? I guess it's a good thing the engine is a non-interferrence engine, but I could still send a rod through the block from over-revving. I would imagine ABS would solve this problem.

My 2004 VUE is also a 5 speed. But when it comes time to replace the VUE, probably with another SUV, I don't think we'll be getting a manual transmission. IMO, manual transmissions should be relagated to cars only- and I guess tractor trailers. Working a clutch on a large vehicle like that can be a chore.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
homerec130
Advanced Member
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

I drove a stick for 30+ years. From a Subaru, several Japanese cars (in Japan, to Ford Explorers, etc.. and my 03 Vue. When I got my 06 I went with the automatic transmission, partly because of the stop and go driving I did and the fact I was having problems with my left knee. The constant on and off the clutch was aggravating the problem, so I went with the automatic. I do miss running it thru the gears especially when getting on and off the highway, and the occasional missed gear when shifting. Never could figure out the upshift light. Seems I'd just get it into gear and it's telling me I need to shift again. Funning thing tho, never wore out a clutch or had any problems. I learned to drive a stick on an old U-Crawl rental where I also had to double clutch. Those were the good old days.

Homer
Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #11
knit1
knit1 is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 2.4L
2005 ION-1 Sedan

Where do I begin?

I take nothing but grief from family and friends about my manual transmission cars. I'm currently hunting for another stick-shift and here's why:

* With a little four cylinder engine, a clutch allows you more control of the limited horsepower.

* I've never broken a clutch, but have had to repair automatics and they are WAY more expensive to fix or replace then a clutch.

* Better mpg, though I'll admit the autos are getting better at this.

* Cheaper purchase price. Also when purchasing used you can find better deals with manuals. You can 99% of the time feel if the transmission has been abused, unlike autos that can be trickier.

* Apparently becoming un-stealable. Many news items lately about kids trying to steal a stick shift but can't drive it away. Ha!!!

* When the battery dies you can pop start the car.

* More fun to drive. I also notice I'm more attentive to my driving in a clutch .. less distracted.

The downsides:

* Aforementioned grief from family and friends

* Valets that say "yea, I can drive a stick" then pop the crap out of my Ion.
"Why drive unless you're using both feet and both hands." -- President, Clutch Appreciation Association
knit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knit1 View Post
Where do I begin?

I take nothing but grief from family and friends about my manual transmission cars. I'm currently hunting for another stick-shift and here's why:

* With a little four cylinder engine, a clutch allows you more control of the limited horsepower.
Yes, thats true..

Quote:
* I've never broken a clutch, but have had to repair automatics and they are WAY more expensive to fix or replace then a clutch.
Yes, but the GM automatic tranny -- especially the 4T45E -- has fewer problems per 1000 than any other tranny -- manual or auto.

Quote:
* Better mpg, though I'll admit the autos are getting better at this.
Here's the Canadian ratings -- Manual VUE - 25 cty/38 hwy, auto - 26 cty/35 hwy. Not a big difference.

Quote:
* Cheaper purchase price. Also when purchasing used you can find better deals with manuals.
Yes, this is true, but try selling your manual car privately.

Quote:
* Apparently becoming un-stealable. Many news items lately about kids trying to steal a stick shift but can't drive it away. Ha!!!
Saturn is the third least stolen car in North America -- this is a non-issue.

Quote:
* When the battery dies you can pop start the car.
Sorry, no-can do! With the interlock, you cannot start a manual UNLESS the clutch pedal is pushed in. All the way. This stops this from being done.

Quote:
* More fun to drive. I also notice I'm more attentive to my driving in a clutch .. less distracted.
Yes, unless you are in stop-n-go traffic on ANY road on your way home from work at 5:00 pm.

Just the other side of the story.

saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Clutch interlock prevents the flow of juice to the starter. A pop clutch start doesn't USE the starter. Thus, the safety interlock is moot. A bigger worry is the potential for a voltage spike from a startup routine not envisioned by the designers.
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
cohocarl

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I don't want this thread to turn into a "Which Transmission is Better" spitting match......
I knew this would happen.....

Bottom line, it doesn't look like we will get the option to buy an '08 with a manual transmission.

What I would like to see is an Aura V6 with a 6 speed manual.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #15
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Let's just say a manual transmission 2008 VUE isn't high on GM's priorities...

I'm still amazed that they came to market without a sunroof.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #16
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
* Valets that say "yea, I can drive a stick" then pop the crap out of my Ion.
2005 was the beginning of drive-by-wire throttle, right? In the case of your ION that may be the cause, for those capable of stickshift but not used to all the different types including such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP
Let's just say a manual transmission <snip /> isn't high on GM's priorities...
I made it more accurate for you.
"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:53 AM   #17
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP
Let's just say a manual transmission <snip /> isn't high on anyone's priorities...
I made it more accurate for you.
Now even more accurate. The manual market is all but dead.
Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #18
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
Now even more accurate. The manual market is all but dead.
Only folks who actually enjoy driving own manual transmissions anymore.
Too bad. I will agree about the resale issue stated above. I tried to sell my SL2 manual for over a year and had exactly 1 call on it. And it was cheaper than you could buy one on a dealer lot by far. I suppose I'll have the same problem if I ever decide to get rid of my 6-speed BMW Z4 or my 6-speed Pontiac GTO. More fun than a barrel full of automonkeymatics!
..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #19
cohocarl

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M View Post
I suppose I'll have the same problem if I ever decide to get rid of my 6-speed BMW Z4 or my 6-speed Pontiac GTO.
I don't know if I fully agree with lower resale values of manuals. Possibly lower Trade-In value because dealers want a quick turnaround, and most people want autos, but those of us that want a manual may pay more for the less common manual. If I could afford either of your vehicles mentioned above, I wouldn't even consider either if they were autos.
I bet your GTO is a blast to drive.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #20
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't know if I fully agree with lower resale values of manuals. Possibly lower Trade-In value because dealers want a quick turnaround, and most people want autos, but those of us that want a manual may pay more for the less common manual. If I could afford either of your vehicles mentioned above, I wouldn't even consider either if they were autos.
I bet your GTO is a blast to drive.
a co-worker just traded in his acura TL 6 speed for a new TL type S auto. at 1st, they said his black on black manual car is in demand, UNTIL they actually got right down to it, they said it's a hard sell.
for some of us, it gets to a point that, we have nothing to prove. I've been driving manual for over 20 years. 65 malibu, 70 nova, 80 malibu, 86 GTI, 87 GTI, 94 626, 02 L200, 93 SC1, 04 VUE- all manual cars (w/ some other temporary autos thrown in along the way). w/ a commute, I'm happier w/ an auto.
what I REALLY want to do, though, is have an auto for commuting, and a harley sportster for fun!
for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote