SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1
Default I Might Need New Plugs...

I mean, whatcha'll think?

BTW, this is a car that literally just rolled over 160K miles yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1112.JPG (204.0 KB, 32 views)
Check out my current SL1!

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268456
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: I Might Need New Plugs...

When in doubt, change 'em out.

Plugs are cheap.
Currently owned
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
98 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 auto
01 SC2 5 sp
02 SC2
02 SL2 auto
02 SL2 5 sp
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:20 AM   #3
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I've seen worse! I took a set over 100K in the '99. Sort of stupid but it ran good for a long time until it didn't.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I'm not mistaken, stock plain plugs are gapped to 0.040". If an inexpensive plug gap isn't used, try a dime. At 0.053", if a dime fits easily into the gap, replace them. If you're trying to save money, a gap tool can file the outside and center electrode square. Then close the outside electrode until the proper gap is achieved. For the S-series, plain plugs replaced or cleaned and gapped every 30k miles. Platinum plugs aren't recommended as they cause misfiring issues. You can search past threads of members mistakenly using platinum plugs and finding problems that misled them into chasing their tail until made aware of issuing plain plugs.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #5
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

Oooooh no, I don't skimp when it comes to plugs :P

I think there was only one time that I reused some old plugs, but it was for testing for an issue and drove with them for a shot period.

Just got out today and replaced all the plugs and wires and holy smokes, what a huge difference. I mean the car ran ok before, but I always had this vibration at about 900-1000 RPM (which, ironically, is what the car was idling at all the time before I changed the thermostat ). Made sure they were all gapped at .04.

Now it has a little bit of vibration (typical old 4cyl shakes), but I don't feel like I'm gonna shake all the dust off sitting still! I must have been firing on the equivalent of 3.5 cylinders. I guess I'll know more when I actually get out to drive it, but I also unplugged the battery to reset the PCM too since it's been driving with those bad plugs all this time.

I also removed the cover on my positive battery terminal and cleaned all the chalk off, gonna have to get some cleaner to get all the acid off, so that might help with things too!

On the topic of platinum plugs, were they using AC Delco Rapidfire plugs and were they using the proper part number? I've used Delcos in all my cars from the mid 90's to today and never had an issue with misfires. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious now because I have heard if you use other brand plugs in GM cars that it can cause issues, especially if you're getting super high-end plugs or some strange metal type that is made for like big V8's or high performance cars.

I had an '84 Camaro with a five speed and 2.8 and I tried some Bosch plugs in it... I went back and put Rapidfire in it after that (this was the mid 2000's).

Old 05-13-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
mattwithcats
mattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Rock Auto or O'Reilly Auto are my go to place for plugs...

Note that I am running one heat range colder than stock...

https://www.ngk.com/how-do-i-find-a-...-hotter-plug-3

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...park+plug,7212

Don't forget the anti seize...
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...ant/ver0/13111

Note that the OEM NGK copper plugs have a new version, the V-Powers....
OEM - NGK 7755, BKR4ESA-11
New Design NGK 5424, BKR4E-11

One colder for the SL1 would be BKR5ESA-11 or BKR5E-11
One colder for the SL2 would be BKR6ESA-11 or BKR6E-11
2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Maximum Power 0W-30, Champion COS3600...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

Last edited by mattwithcats; 05-13-2021 at 05:32 PM.
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Ugh, I did forget the anti-seize... but I have to go back and get some boot goop anyway, I ran out, bleh.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:40 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Search for waste spark ignition system here or on the web for how the S-series creates spark and doesn't seem to work with platinum plugs. Unless GM specs call for them, it's generally the rule to follow owner's manual or GM service manual specs. Once a different type plug is used, you become the beta tester.

That 'chalk' is dried battery acid from vapors venting. Warm water and baking soda is all that's needed with an old toothbrush as this reacts immediately to battery acid by bubbling and neutralizing acid for plain water rinse. Battery cleaner in a spray can is baking soda with a heavy sticky colored grease to dissolve and coat battery terminals. Sulphuric acid is neutralized with baking soda.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:50 PM   #9
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Yeah, I just need to get some proper cleaning stuff for it, I just call it chalk because that's what it looks and feels like :P

Old 05-14-2021, 02:44 AM   #10
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Wow, I don't think my originals looked that bad when I changed them out... I assume they were originals, they had GM part numbers, and I don't think said AC on them. I think they were NGK with GM numbers.
2000 SL2 Automatic 200,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #11
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
Wow, I don't think my originals looked that bad when I changed them out... I assume they were originals, they had GM part numbers, and I don't think said AC on them. I think they were NGK with GM numbers.
From what I could tell, these were original plugs and wires and if not, they've only been changed once the entire life of the car. Either way, it was time for a change

Old 05-15-2021, 01:28 AM   #12
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I've seen worse! I took a set over 100K in the '99. Sort of stupid but it ran good for a long time until it didn't.
Same: The OEM plugs were fine one day and the next needed replacing ...at 114K lol
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote