SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-17-2015, 05:02 AM   #1
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Default "Clank" When Shifting Out Of Reverse & Going to Drive

Howdy,

Creampuff, the 2000 SL2, with 86,000 miles, has had a "clank" type sounding noise coming from the transmission every time when shifting from Reverse, I momentarily stop at Neutral (as I always do with Automatics...) and then I shift into Drive.

It makes this "hollow-in-a-can" noise immediately when it lets out of Reverse.

It has done it with the original Dex III fluid, when I replaced it with Amsoil ATF at 37,000 miles, and also after I put in a Valve Body from Ken Partin. It got refilled with regular Dex III ATF at that time and I want to switch it back over to either Amsoil ATF or Amsoil Torque-Drive.

Reading the Transmission Temp Sensor) TTS thread here http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208601 prompted me to wonder if replacing the TTS would possibly address this? Or something else?

Thank you.
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default Re: "Clank" When Shifting Out Of Reverse & Going to Drive

Guess:
Worn out ball bearings in the differential allowing the differential assembly to move side-to-side.
My MP3 did that before I rebuilt the transmission.
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
dcockrum
dcockrum is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

This isn't the reverse slam issue is it? That only occurred to me when shifting from park to reverse, or from drive to reverse. Which by the way I'm happy to report went away completely with a couple atf drain/fills.
Save a horse, drive a Saturn!
dcockrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Bearings may be fine and the left side was not shimmed properly. These types of noise are hard to locate and usually harder to fix so it all comes down to first locating the noise and then determining if it requires further attention.

Worn ball bearings and inadequate shimming are probably something that can safely be ignored until there is some other reason to be digging in the transmission. It is worthwhile to check the sway bar ends for pull-out and the axles for failed inner CV joints. Probably the prudent approach is to put new-to-you auto trans on your want list. A transmission that is due for a VB at less than 100,000 miles is not a good sign.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

This doesn't smell like a TTS problem to me. Was the valve body replacement prophylactic? And--please forgive me if this has already been considered--are the dogbones in good shape?
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

As I said above:
Quote:
... so it all comes down to first locating the noise and then determining if it requires further attention.
The actual source of this noise has to be found first. It is not the TTS.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

The Valve Body was replaced as it had reverse slam. Replacing that & the Input Shaft Nut fixed that entirely.

It'll be very hard to narrow it down; could have my wife shift it and I can try to narrow it down audibly.
Yea, that'll work, lol.

Posted to see if someone else had this "hollow clank" and fixed it.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
... Posted to see if someone else had this "hollow clank" and fixed it.
Not in a Saturn. It is not uncommon on well used rear wheel drive vehicles and is usually traced to the drive shaft.

If I were to wildly speculate I would suspect that both dogbones are shot and you are hearing the exhaust hit the frame.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Reply in quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Not in a Saturn. It is not uncommon on well used rear wheel drive vehicles and is usually traced to the drive shaft.

Yep, been there, done that,

If I were to wildly speculate I would suspect that both dogbones are shot and you are hearing the exhaust hit the frame.

That's an interesting thought... I'll check into that. It's been doing it since I got it 2 1/2 years ago with 36,000 miles on it.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That car should have the 3rd design dogbone but none of these last forever and the 3rd design was as weak as the earlier ones and they promptly fail right after the top motor mount fails. Failed dogbones result in violent torque reaction displacement of the engine and transmission.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
sclieu
sclieu is on a distinguished road

I had the same exact symptoms in a mazda 3. The symptoms were that the car drove perfect, but going to and from Parking to Reverse clanked...and hard!!

For the mazda, it registered a code, which turned out to be several possibilities, but what we ended up doing to fix it was replacing the transmission solenoid. this completely fixed the problem. It was a fairly simple job for the mazda 3:
1) drain transmission
2) open transmission pan
3) replace the solenoid, and put back together (replace gaskets, etc..)

It was about a $120 investment, so worth the try. Luckily for us, that was it.

Hopefully, you will have luck and not need to replace your transmission.
sclieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #12
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Every Saturn TAAT Ive driven has that clunk when shifting out of Reverse into drive, I believe its the reverse dog clutch disengaging, Keep in mind these Transmissions are not like normal ones there are actually gears inside and operate a little more noisy. My feeling with these Transmissions is if it shifts into reverse smoothly when hot and all four forward gears smoothly you have a healthy Saturn Transmission.
2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The issue is this: how loud is the clunk? If it sounds about like shifting the manual into 5th and reverse with the engine OFF then that is normal.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:34 AM   #14
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Quote:
The issue is this: how loud is the clunk? If it sounds about like shifting the manual into 5th and reverse with the engine OFF then that is normal.
The "hollow-in-a-can clank" is quite loud & can make someone on a sidewalk turn their head. Much louder than what you described in a 5-speed.

I put in a new GM upper motor mount recently as the original one was shot. The tranny shifts fantastic.

I think I need to check out the dogbones (after I go Crappie & Walleye fishing today ).....

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Let engine reach full operating temperature, park car and apply hand brake and trans in Park. Open hood and snap throttle at least 1/3 - 1/2 open and immediately drop it, do not hesitate. How far does the engine jump?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #16
Steve44
Steve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really niceSteve44 is just really nice

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
Every Saturn TAAT Ive driven has that clunk when shifting out of Reverse into drive, I believe its the reverse dog clutch disengaging, Keep in mind these Transmissions are not like normal ones there are actually gears inside and operate a little more noisy. My feeling with these Transmissions is if it shifts into reverse smoothly when hot and all four forward gears smoothly you have a healthy Saturn Transmission.
^^^ This is what I wanted to say the entire thread!!
If I am in motion even the slightest bit, I get that "clank/clunk"
I solved the problem though. I come to a complete stop before shifting out of reverse. Not kidding.
The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
The #3 Silver SL2 FIVE SPEED!
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Quote:
Let engine reach full operating temperature, park car and apply hand brake and trans in Park. Open hood and snap throttle at least 1/3 - 1/2 open and immediately drop it, do not hesitate. How far does the engine jump?
Ok, did the test.

The engine displaces about 1/4". What does that amount tell you?

Thank you.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Dogbones are functional. By any chance did the exhaust hit the crossmember when you did that test?
Old 06-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #19
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

It did not.

There is a "click" when taking it out of Park, that has a VERY similar sound, but is MUCH quieter. Maybe that'll help.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is the park pawl moving.