saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
Ubie
Ubie is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default '99 SL2 AC not engaging

I think i know the final answer, but figured i'd pick some brains here:

Over the winter some time my AC kicked the bucket. I figured I'd do a quick and dirty by just recharging the system and seeing if I could get a couple of summers out of it. Picked up a recharge kit and went on my merry way.

When I went to do the recharge I noticed that the AC clutch was never engaging. Tried the recommended method of adding about a 1/2 can of coolant, but no dice. Made sure to be running it for 3min at 2k+RPM, full AC blowing, the whole bit. Still no love.

So, can anybody confirm, i'm assuming the compressor/AC unit is effectively shot. It's not the end of the world, I always have 4/55 AC (four windows, 55mph), but if there's an easy fix I have figure I don't have anything to lose.
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: '99 SL2 AC not engaging

Hopefully, you didn't buy refrigerant with sealer. Fix-it-in-a-can has no guarantee if it doesn't work - can anyone say they had their money returned when sealer failed?

You can try two methods to see if the compressor coil powers up (or its thermal fuse is blown); directly wiring it to 12v or use a small wire jumper across the a/c relay terminals 30 and 87 (this sends 12v to power the compressor clutch coil immediately regardless of ignition switch position. If you see and hear the compressor clutch engage (metallic 'click') then the compressor and clutch coil are in good condition and the problem is elsewhere, namely, a LEAK. If you do not see or hear the compressor clutch coil engage then the thermal fuse is blown. Very few here have successfully repaired/replaced a blown thermal fuse as it requires pulling off the clutch plate, pulley, and coil before attempting to find out if a thermal fuse is accessible or epoxied into the coil assembly. All this without disconnecting the suction and discharge hoses. Most replace the compressor.

If the compressor does power up then the most likely cause of it not powering up is either a blown a/c fuse or a more common problem affecting 98% of all vehicle a/c systems - the leak no one wants to acknowledge but will gladly spend money for a store refill kit with mixed results. A LEAK means refilling a leaking system like refilling a tire leak except with expensive refrigerant instead of finding the source of the leak and determining what's needed to repair or replace parts. There are many tasks to perform before recharging a repaired a/c system; once a repair is made an evacuation pump is needed along with a set of refrigeration gauges to evacuate a repaired system to a vacuumed state and checked one more time for leaking before recharging with refrigerant. Repairs can be done by almost anyone while few can perform the technical a/c work that can be done by most a/c shops.

A leak means lost pressure from a sealed system that isn't sealed anymore and a pressure sensor detected it, sending a disable signal to the pcm to prevent the compressor from damaging itself without sufficient refrigerant.

Find and fix the leak first then this system will retain pressure to hold R134a without leaking out. Dye leaks out along with oil and glows with a small uv blacklight.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
Ubie
Ubie is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: '99 SL2 AC not engaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Hopefully, you didn't buy refrigerant with sealer. Fix-it-in-a-can has no guarantee if it doesn't work - can anyone say they had their money returned when sealer failed?

Heh, no worries, I've seen a few other posts of yours on the subject, no sealer. I'll take a look at the tests you suggest this weekend and see what there is to see, thanks for the info.
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote