-burns oil
-slopy notchy stick shift
" Any man that doesen"t share his knowledge in cars is wrong to do !"
brags is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #42
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2
Default Re: What DON`T you like about your Saturn

My Saturn is a 'cheapskate' and a 'tightwad' about saving gas. She's 'delusional' the way she doesn't know she's is small and she wants to go fast and pass the bigger cars. She's 'vain' has a real problem showing her true age and wouldn't be caught dead having the other cars see her with rust patches down by her underside. She is also kind of 'simple' and 'easy' the way she lets you get under her hood and put your hands on her parts.
1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #43
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR

I spend a little extra time cleaning up after an oil change due to the location of the oil filter, but lots of manufacturers seem to care less about such things.

The seats are too close to the ground, so getting out of the car (6'3", 215) qualifies as exercise.

I don't let mine idle more than necessary due to typical oil seal leaking (smoke), and I hated the cheesy aluminum factory wheels so I added a set of Ruff Racing wheels, a spoiler, and 205/60-15's...looks great IMO for a 13 year old car with 190,000 miles. Love those ding -less plastic panels.

I find myself putting the car in neutral during long lights/train crossing due to the annoying vibration which exists ONLY at idle. At any other speed it is glass-smooth.

Engine/trans are simple to maintain, wish my other drivers were even close to this one.
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #44
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Not too much I don't like about my SW2 (or the 1999 SW2 I had previously), other than that Saturn doesn't exist anymore and that they stopped making cars in the philosophy of the S-series (a large part of the reason they don't exist anymore).

Since nobody mentioned it, I'll bring up the diff pin issue. I am still in the process of trying to finish installing my transaxle from a diff pin failure. I would have liked to see not only a stronger retaining system for the diff pin (such as the one I added) as well as a steel ring around the diff so that if the pin fails, it doesn't blast a hole in the case. As it is there's not enough clearance to add one, but it would have been nice if one could.

I'm 6'1" and around 230 lbs, but I don't have a problem with the seats or the room. I did find the 2nd gen wagon to have more leg room than my 1993, but for a small car, I fit into it just fine.
Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 219,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #45
BigSexy
BigSexy is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I`m 6`3" 215lbs and fit fine in the coupe. I wish the interior was a little bit wider but leg room is fine. I wanted a wagon untill I sat in one, 4drs have less leg room than coupes.
BigSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #46
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexy View Post
I wanted a wagon untill I sat in one, 4drs have less leg room than coupes.
actually, I beg to differ... sorry, but I like my ability to have four doors and haul at least four people. with a coupe I have little next to ZERO rear leg room (but OTOH compact cars also offer that; S-series are not much different).
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #47
BigSexy

2001 SC2

I wanted a wagon so I can haul my bike not people. Once a week my 6yr old is in the back seat of my coupe otherwise we take the family car. My coupe has more front seat leg room than the wagon.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #48
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

got some scratches...one dent i want to get rid of. carpet under one of the floor mats is bad. want a new water pump and fuel filter, although both might be fine. wouldn't mind some wheels from a discount tire $100 rebate deal. wouldn't mind some 195 65r15 tires. got a couple chips on my windshield. gasket around drivers door, and passenger side back seat door are slightly off letting in a minuscule amount of water at high pressures(such as at a car wash). want to do the hide the radio antenna trick but afraid some stations wouldn't come in at certain areas as well. my a/c lines leak very slowly, requiring about 4 cans of refrigerant a year. previous owner painted and there are a few spots i wish i could get out. it's not that bad, though. oh and i wish i had cruise control but i have an mp2 swap.
98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #49
dustymars
dustymars is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Well, after picking up our 2013 Mazda6 I decided to keep the old 2002 Saturn SL1, fix it up, uses it and either give it to our daughter or sell it later on. Not sure what it would bring in but the Mazda dealer mentioned $500-$1200 so it is just not worth trading it in. I still like my little Saturn. It has a couple problems, intake manifold gasket need replaced, brakes up front and most likely an alternator not to far off (112,000 miles). Wonder what a fixed up 2002 SL1, SOHC would sell for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_002.jpg (47.4 KB, 10 views)
2002 Saturn SL1 SOHC 5-speed
dustymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #50
marko16
marko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura about

#1 is they are ugly. The hideous flow of lines from an aesthetic view makes me cringe. No chick factors whatsoever, chicks don't dig these a bit. I now have four and it matter little.
marko16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #51
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko16 View Post
#1 is they are ugly. The hideous flow of lines from an aesthetic view makes me cringe. No chick factors whatsoever, chicks don't dig these a bit. I now have four and it matter little.
I'm going to have to disagree...A lot of the girls I know love my SC2. My long distance gf is fascinated by it since Saturns were never exported to her country. One day this summer the cheerleaders were out practicing and they all turned around to check out the car....At least I'm ASSUMING it was the car
Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #52
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
Dizzy Re: What DON`T you like about your Saturn

Quote:
Resting a naked body on the plastic panels is much more comfortable:
  • Not too hot or cold;
  • Slight cushioning effect;
  • And no dents afterwards.

And you know she loves you for who you are and not the car you drive.

Last edited by proveniebam; 12-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #53
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveniebam View Post

Resting a naked body on the plastic panels is much more comfortable:
  • Not too hot or cold;
  • Slight cushioning effect;
  • And no dents afterwards.

And you know she loves you for who you are and not the car you drive.
Are you speaking from experience?
Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #54
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree...A lot of the girls I know love my SC2. My long distance gf is fascinated by it since Saturns were never exported to her country. One day this summer the cheerleaders were out practicing and they all turned around to check out the car....At least I'm ASSUMING it was the car
Agree.
I am the test case. From '86 ZuZu Trooper2 Diesel to SC2 to F-350 4x4 turbodiesel

ZuZu ChickFactor = 0 (the empty set )
F-350 ChickFactor = 11

0<< SC2 CF <11

p.s.- I tried a CB in the ZuZu and it didn't help. So, your CB didn't get the cheerleaders' attention
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #55
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:

HA! My Wife LOVES my Saturns...

...and when her Camry stops running, she wants a Saturn!
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #56
Gold Saturn
Gold Saturn is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

They're loud and rattley in the winter....seriously I've never heard a louder car in the winter time interior-wise.
2000 SC1, 5 spd swapped @ 133k, totaled by drunk driver @ 165k, RIP
Gold Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #57
BigSexy

2001 SC2

Central Florida chicks love the 3dr coupes! I bought a Neon for my daughter but lately she`s been wanting my coupe. I think it`s the fastback bubble roof design they like because they also like the Mitsu Eclipse, beetle, Cavalier, etc.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #58
Ubie
Ubie is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Just two things:

Burning 1qt of oil every 1500mi, like clockwork!

The cupholders are terrible. Badly placed and need to have an extra 1/4 - 1/2" diameter. Can't use my good coffee cup because they're just a hair too large. And then when you do have a cup that fits in there they block the HVAC controls.

Otherwise, i just hit 190k miles on the original clutch. I'm actually vaguely terrified the dang thing is going to explode on me. The biggest mechanical problem Wheels (that's his name) has had was the replacement of an O2 sensor. Cleaning out the throttle body this weekend though, starting to get sticky.
Ubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #59
Magic
Magic is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

A touch under 195K miles on mine (313,500 + kms).

Yes, seats are a little uncomfortable, ok, theyre very uncomfortable. However, they chould use a re-cushion/repadding to be a little more comforting once again.

Ive got this annoying clunk that comes from the front end. I do know that one inner tie rod needs to be replaced (new one is in the trunk waiting for me to install it). Its had new front control arms (Quick Steer brand by Federal Mogul), new outer Tie Rods (Moog), new brakes (Bendix pads and Raybestos rotors), new swaybar to frame bushings (GM), new engine and trans mounts and torque mounts (combination of GM and Prothane), new Monroe struts and mounts.
I'll be replacing the CV shafts and the swaybar to control arm bushings (Moog) as well.

Its also hard to find a rear bumper cover for it at the local scrap yards (its the textured grey one, seems to be exclusive to the very base 2000 year model only).

Other than that, its cheap to maintain (I do my own maintenance), gets good mpg, and reliable, so I cant really complain much.
2000 Saturn SL , 1.9 SOHC, 5 speed. Blue/Tan...
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #60
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Rattly front strut mounts in cold weather.
(When we trade it in, it will have to be done during the Summer)

That mystery parasitic drain that will kill the battery overnight out of the blue, and the roulette wheel odds of when will it happen again? 3 months? 6? never?
Dale

"Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls". Stirling Moss
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote