SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Goo-man
Goo-man is on a distinguished road

Default Just replaced rear shocks

I replaced my rear shocks yesterday. I used Monroe Reflex part # 911258. During the first drive, I heard knocking in the rear. Almost as if a shock was not attached and just dangling and knocking around. I went back under the car and they both seem solid. I double checked the bushing in the new shocks to the old shocks, after removing them for examination, and they are the same size. the hardware is in good condition.

Additional info: the old shocks were SO bad that they could easily be compressed by my 12 year old AND, the shocks would not extend on thier own. The new shocks appeared to lift the rear about 3 inches. The new shocks do not seem to be bottoming out.

2002, 4 cyl, 2.2L, 5 spd man, FWD, 120k
Goo-man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Just replaced rear shocks

Strange. I recently installed the same shocks on my '03 and have no problems. Can you jump on the back bumper and produce any knocking?
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Goo-man

Finished jumping. Yes, the knock is there when I jump on the bumper. I opened the hatch to make sure I could hear it from the inside the Vue. Sounds like it is right at the top of the shock. It is louder on the right side. Nowhere near as loud as a flush railroad track or rough paved road. I also checked under the car for anything that looks like it might be hitting on something. Thought maybe the new found rigidity might contribute to other items moving around. Also going to tripple check the 81ft lbs torque on the shock bolts.

The ride has DEFFINATELY improved. I can actually feel the rear hold onto the road.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

Check to see whether the plastic inner fender liner is contacting the shock tube? I think the OEM shocks were smaller O.D or plastic or something compared to the aftermarket shocks? Something to look at.

Other thing I noticed when I did mine was that I had to add a thin washer at the base of the shock where the bolt goes through because the gap was quite excessive compared to stock. You could have the bolt torqued to spec but most of that may have went into bending the bracket so in reality the shock may be a little loose.
Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Shocks bear no load, I find it extremely hard to believe your car was raised by three inches after the job! Three inches is a lot.

When a shock (damper) is stationary, most exhibit no rebound force (upward) whatsoever. If your car really did get higher in the rear with the new shocks, you must have fiddled with the springs or something. Or maybe it was the placebo effect!

Make sure the rear sway bar links are tight against the lower arm. It's not uncommon for a shock to make a noise if it's blown, so perhaps you should warranty it out and get a new one for the side that's bad.
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Goo-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbievueowner View Post
Check to see whether the plastic inner fender liner is contacting the shock tube? I think the OEM shocks were smaller O.D or plastic or something compared to the aftermarket shocks? Something to look at.

Other thing I noticed when I did mine was that I had to add a thin washer at the base of the shock where the bolt goes through because the gap was quite excessive compared to stock. You could have the bolt torqued to spec but most of that may have went into bending the bracket so in reality the shock may be a little loose.
The new shocks are deffinately bigger in diameter. I'll try the washer idea. I measured the bushings in the new and old shock and they were close so tightening up the tolerence might be the trick. I haven't noticed anything rubbing anywhere. But, this weekend when I start the strut replacement, I'll re-investigate the proximities of componants.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Goo-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout View Post
Shocks bear no load, I find it extremely hard to believe your car was raised by three inches after the job! Three inches is a lot.

When a shock (damper) is stationary, most exhibit no rebound force (upward) whatsoever. If your car really did get higher in the rear with the new shocks, you must have fiddled with the springs or something. Or maybe it was the placebo effect!

Make sure the rear sway bar links are tight against the lower arm. It's not uncommon for a shock to make a noise if it's blown, so perhaps you should warranty it out and get a new one for the side that's bad.
Maybe 3 inches is a bit much. I didn't actually measure. I am sure it sits a tad higher. Of course, I am an aircraft mechanic so when I do mechanic stuff i get excited...therefore the placebo effect is VERY plausable.

I started to look at the sway bar yesterday. The car was on the ground so I wasn't able to really get any movement out of it.. I thought that I might re-address it when the car gets put on jack stands again. After the initial discovery of the noise I removed the shocks to inspect them. I hadn't noticed any change that may indicate a blown shock. If the washers don't help, or if another issue doesn't reveal itself, I'll use the warranty. My theory is, that with the new shocks in place, other worn elements are begining to show thier wear. I have had the Vue for 3.5 years and have put about 53k on it myself for a total of 120k.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo-man View Post
Maybe 3 inches is a bit much. I didn't actually measure. I am sure it sits a tad higher.
I tend agree with Burnout. I seem to recall my new shocks wanted to extend by themselves, but not with enough force to raise the vehicle. My Fender Liner is up against the Shock Top, but there should be minimal rubbing there since the Shock Top is relatively stationary. (Fwiw - my top diameter is about 2-3/8").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShkTop1.JPG (83.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg ShkTop2.JPG (91.1 KB, 31 views)
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The OEM stocks are horrible. I did not experience any noises after I changed my shocks out. Possibly the upper bolt is loose?

The new shocks really controlled the ride better than the OEM shocks ever did. I don't recall the ride height being any higher, but the new shocks were considerably stronger than the OEM ones.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

When I replaced mine, the bushing in the shock (the metal tube that goes through the bushing) did not fit between the lower mounts on the car. I had to spread the mount a little and at first used the specs for torque. Had the thumping sound and went back and tightened them down by hand until I could see the mounts were not bending anymore. Backed them off a bit and then re-tightened a bit more. No more noises.

Looking back on it, I could have ground the shock bushing tubes a bit until they fit properly... Maybe next time.
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Goo-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
I tend agree with Burnout. I seem to recall my new shocks wanted to extend by themselves, but not with enough force to raise the vehicle. My Fender Liner is up against the Shock Top, but there should be minimal rubbing there since the Shock Top is relatively stationary. (Fwiw - my top diameter is about 2-3/8").
Yeah, that is what my pics would look like. I am going to try a few of the suggestions here over the weekend. I am leaning toward the sway bar at the moment.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Goo-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
The OEM stocks are horrible. I did not experience any noises after I changed my shocks out. Possibly the upper bolt is loose?

The new shocks really controlled the ride better than the OEM shocks ever did. I don't recall the ride height being any higher, but the new shocks were considerably stronger than the OEM ones.
Oh yeah, there is a HUGE difference in ride and performance. I can't wait to change out the struts. As soon as time permits, I have struts ready to go along with new bearings and the left CV joint.