saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #21
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Default Re: From a Top of the line Mini Van to a base Vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post

The RL is a very simple vehicle. It's about looking better, handling better, and being less of a "truck". Whether its faster than a normal V6 in a straight line or not is debateable, but it's not a drag pack. It's about being able to drive it at highway speeds without it feeling wobbly, being able to drive the car around turns like a sports car,
Mine doesn't feel wobbly at all at speed- all the way up to 100mph, which is all these go, yes?

I gotta ask though, if this stuff was important to you, and 'less trucky' was a trait you wanted....why not just get something that wasn't a truck? And in fairness to you, the VUE isn't truck- its just a jacked up L series. But still...why an SUV? Its never gonna hang with say an AMG merc, or a Z4. I can tell you why I bought an SUV. I need the form factor- for kids duty, dump runs, home depot DIY crap and snowmobile season. And hot damn, its plastic so it won't rust! I can leave the sports car sitting in the garage for weekends or special occassions.

Quote:

Manual transmissions are inferior. We all know this. Autos shift faster and more reliably nowdays. This isn't the 80s with 3 speed automatics, modern automatics can shift faster than any manual driver, or smoother than any manual depending on the programming. Really modern ones can do both depending on the performance level selected in the car's computer.
Poppycock. Its not about being faster. Manual transmissions come on other flavors, like sequential shifting boxes motor bikes use- if that's all that matters, those are faster than slushies. Its the experience, its the control, its feel you have when driving the vehicle. A manual is way way better than any slushie. For drag racing, or straight line driving, which you say your not interested in, the auto does the job faster and with much less skill needed from the driver. That should be the answer right there. You're no longer needed with the auto- might as well call Google and go for the autodrive as well. The real reason autos are taking over is COST. Cheap ass bean cutters don't want to spend the money for a proper manual when they've already drilled it into the average joe that the slushie is 'better'.

Last edited by youknowme; 11-01-2010 at 09:38 PM.
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #22
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

I have a tall dog (he's really furry and has to go everywhere with us), and lack the funds to justify an SRT8 Jeep or something along those lines. At least until I'm out of school. The RL is a good driving, relatively efficient vehicle that can hang with a lot of "sporty cars", and I can move with it and take the dog everywhere.

I'd rather be able to use flappy paddles and get better performance, or be able to put it in Drive and not need to shift when I'm commuting to and from school. Ideally I'd like flappy paddles, but I'd prefer a normal automatic over a normal manual to be honest.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #23
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

hmm my 2000 L series sedan has , cruise on the wheel, and heated mirrors. I think they probably removed them later down the line to cut cost. I was looking at an ion compared to my LS1 and the ions just so damn bare, its awkward looking.
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #24
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

This has to be one of the top 3 threads I've seen that strayed so far off topic I can't even tell what the thread was about in the first place.
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:47 AM   #25
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout View Post
This has to be one of the top 3 threads I've seen that strayed so far off topic I can't even tell what the thread was about in the first place.
Did you sell that Subaru and come back to us yet? Go buy a damn Redline! YOU MISS TEH VTEC!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #26
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

MY FAMILY HATES HORSEPOWER
'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #27
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Have you notice that the OP never responded back to the thread he created?So, back to the OPs statement and the question asked of him, what kind of minivan did you have and why did you trade it for a barebones VUE?
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #28
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Ok, since he hasn't answered, I'm going out on a limb and guessing this was his old van:
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #29
MoparNut
Advanced Member

Or, perhaps:
Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #30
MoparNut
Advanced Member

And, behind door number three:
Old 11-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #31
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Poppycock. Its not about being faster. Manual transmissions come on other flavors, like sequential shifting boxes motor bikes use- if that's all that matters, those are faster than slushies. Its the experience, its the control, its feel you have when driving the vehicle. A manual is way way better than any slushie. For drag racing, or straight line driving, which you say your not interested in, the auto does the job faster and with much less skill needed from the driver. That should be the answer right there. You're no longer needed with the auto- might as well call Google and go for the autodrive as well. The real reason autos are taking over is COST. Cheap ass bean cutters don't want to spend the money for a proper manual when they've already drilled it into the average joe that the slushie is 'better'.
Odd. I've always seen manual transmissions costing far less to manufacture.

My opinion has been its due to people being lazy. The average consumer doesn't want to drive a manual and these days I'd bet most don't even know how.

The term 'slushie" technically went away in the 60s with the introduction of GM's TH-400 as far as i'm concerned. There is nothing slushie about a TH-400 or even a built TH-350.

Automatics come in many flavors as well. Take a look at the Borg-Warner DSG.

On a side note, arguing automatic vs manual transmissions is worse then arguing what brand of oil YOU think is better.
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #32
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Clearly it was a Renault Espace F1.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #33
halfpipe
halfpipe is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I did reply and thanked the fellow who gave usefull information.
Then I complained that a bunch of yahoos had hijacked my thread and that further usefull information would probably not be forthcoming.
halfpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #34
Vue in Ontario
Vue in Ontario is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpipe View Post
I did reply and thanked the fellow who gave usefull information.
Then I complained that a bunch of yahoos had hijacked my thread and that further usefull information would probably not be forthcoming.
Well now I'm totally confused, in this thread you said you went from a loaded mini-van to a base 2005 Vue......but on 10/22/10 you posted in another thread....

Quote:
Well I just upgraded from my 2003 Vue to a sweet 2005 Vue 2.2 Manual but no cruise and I feel I need it for any drive over an hour.
Is it a big deal to install cruise oneself and can it even be done on a manual?
Any parts source recommendations?
Thanks
If you previously owned a 2003 Vue you should be quite familiar with the features in a 2005, no?
Vue in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #35
halfpipe

2005 VUE 2.2L

I had a 2003 for a few weeks only before the better 2005 came along and I grabbed it.
What's the point of all this anyway, On other forums regarding other topics, valid responses are the norm
this thread I've posted has been a waste of time, except about the tip for cushy armrests
adios
Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #36
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Later!

It's a VUE. It's pretty minimalistic. Live with it.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #37
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I had a 2003 for a few weeks only before the better 2005 came along and I grabbed it.
What's the point of all this anyway, On other forums regarding other topics, valid responses are the norm
this thread I've posted has been a waste of time, except about the tip for cushy armrests
adios
Dude, all I wanted to know is, what type of van did you downgrade from? Also, don't get mad because you didn't get the answers that you were looking for. There are plenty of threads that I started and either no one answered or they "thread jacked" me. Either, I moved on and never got an attitude about. My advice to you is to get over it and keep posting and giving advice, that's what this forum is for. And if someone says something you don't like, ignore it. Crap happens then you flush and move on.
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #38
halfpipe

2005 VUE 2.2L

you're right
btw 1999 Grand Caravan Sport
gotta a least get cruise and a heated side mirror jury rigged.
I have to do a tricky back up maneuver off a highway to back into my parking spot and with it all iced up this winter my aim won't be so good
Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #39
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

a 1999 Grand Caravan Sport?

You'd think youd be happy you now have a vehicle that runs and is dependable.

Doesn't matter how many bells and whistles a vehicle has if it doesn't run half the time
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #40
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtube View Post
a 1999 Grand Caravan Sport?

You'd think youd be happy you now have a vehicle that runs and is dependable.

Doesn't matter how many bells and whistles a vehicle has if it doesn't run half the time
Are your comments based on rumor or do you have data?

I bought a new 99 GC Sport ... put 56,000 miles on the bad-boy and traded for a new 2006 Caravan. I had not one minor malfunction on the 99 Dodge and only money spent was on routine service and one set of tires.

I kept the Caravan for two years (3000 miles) and traded for a Ford pickup and no one wants to know how that worked out.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote