SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
DracoAzule
DracoAzule is on a distinguished road

Default White wire fix?

Hey guys. I'm just wondering. If/when the sensor on my 04 ION malfunctions, what are the risks of snipping the white wire? Is it worth it? What are the side effects on the vehicle? Is there any risk of me totally ****ing my car over?
DracoAzule is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: White wire fix?

Like any other "short cut" when dealing with Electrical wiring... you should avoid them.

Try to do the proper repair. Any future issues won't be the result of "corner cutting".

In general with Electrical... people assume things are a certain way, when things are changed improperly you run the risk of unexpected problems/hazards later.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

whether it's "worth it" or not is more or less up to you, but IMO, it's not. you have to think, GM put that wire in there for a reason, if it were "extra" or unnecessary, it wouldn't be there. I also find the notion that cutting one wire can disable a modern security system preposterous. why would GM make it so easy to steal their cars, they aren't chrysler.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Can't recall that Ions were on the top of anyone's hit list, so it is up to you. I would do more research on it though. What it comes down to is, it is your car. Not anyone elses. So if you want to disable part of the theft deterrent, then that is up to you. Just make absolutely certain of the consequences of what you are doing and in the long run, if this is really the best solution. I am not going to say if it is or isn't, because I have never heard anything negative come out of doing this except for making your car more vulnerable to theft. But then the thief would have to know what you have done and they would really want to steal the Ion....Right?
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
DracoAzule
DracoAzule is on a distinguished road

Well I bought this ION wrecked off craigslist and I'm in the process of getting it fixed up. I checked under the steering wheel and it looks like it's been tampered with already. So chances are the white wire has been cut already. Idk. I'll grab a drill and a quarter inch socket later today and look at it.
DracoAzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Well then your earlier concern for ********** up your car... seems odd. Seeing how it was previously wrecked and tinkered with.

My earlier concern with Electrical repairs still holds. Since it's already wrecked and who knows whats been spliced,bypassed,pulled,reinstalled, over/under fused, etc.

So as was previously mentioned if you do decide to cut the white wire... be aware ,in your specific case, it might actual serve a different purpose.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoAzule View Post
Hey guys. I'm just wondering. If/when the sensor on my 04 ION malfunctions, what are the risks of snipping the white wire? Is it worth it? What are the side effects on the vehicle? Is there any risk of me totally ****ing my car over?
Don't concern yourself about things that are not currently happening with your car. Yes, it's good to be informed and prepared for future problems, but don't waste too much time playing "what if ?".

If it's running well enough as you describe, fix what's broke and keep on driving. You got a deal and you've got plenty of immediate problems to worry about.

Worrying about what might happen will interfere with your enjoyment of your car.

That "fix" is featured on Youtube as a solution to the ignition switch problem. There are also Passlock disabling or by pass kits sold as well. There's a thread in the ION topic on Edmunds describing them and their use.

Believe me I've thought about doing it since after 5 trips to the dealer since 1200 miles I am still having to stick my finger up that pass through hole to get the key out. But today's electrical systems are so complicated, even swapping stereos in a 99 Cavalier made me nervous about the consequences.

First, do no harm, I'd say.

Chilipepper: I think it's less about the security of the car [I left my keys in the trunk lock over night and no one bothered stealing my ION...], but a way around all the problems the ignition switch in these cars cause. The "fix" doesn't fix it even when the "experts" do it. That's why people are looking for alternatives. It may be a bad idea but it's understandable. The problem makes me hate my car sometimes.

Still: I would be hesitant. What evidence did you get that someone else had been messin' wid da voodoo on your car ?

Again: fix what comes up, bring the maintenance up to where it needs to be if it's suspect and be happy. Lots of miles left in this critter.
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
Zosozeppelin
Advanced Member
Zosozeppelin is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I've seen that youtube video before. Doesn't your passlock light stay on constantly after you cut the wire? That's another thing that would make me not want to do it, that light would bug me.
Elizabeth

'06 Level 3 Quad Coupe. 140K as of 5-3-15. Traded for 2015 Chevy SS. Gone but not forgotten.

Current: 2017 2LT/RS 50th Anniversary Camaro
Zosozeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
cjriddle22
cjriddle22 is on a distinguished road

I had the "not stating in cold" problem fixed at a dealer after the first couple of times this happened. They just replaced the ignition switch and it didn't even make it through the whole winter before it starting doing it again. After another cold winter of my 04 Ion not starting, I finally decided to cut the "white wire" this past winter.

I am very happy with the results. Yes the passlock icon is always on, and the display says "Service Vehicle" constantly (push the trip button and it goes away), but now it starts every single time in cold weather. I have no fear of going out in the mornings hoping to not be late. Some would say let a professional do it, but they failed performing this task. I checked out the you tube video, and did this in about 10 min. Good luck if you decide to try it, if not, have fun spending $200+ every winter.
cjriddle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

In some states with annual smog checks, you'll get an automatic fail if the Service light is on. At least that's true in CA and AZ. I think there's mention of it in that video commentary toward the end, if it's the same one I've seen.
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
jstavene
jstavene is on a distinguished road

Could this be done on a saturn 2001 sl1 ?

I would be more then happy to be the guinea pig I already have the steering column plastic off but can not determine a specific wire and the harness appears different?
jstavene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:35 AM   #12
Blakers903
Blakers903 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: White wire fix? Bad Idle? A/C killing the car?

2006 Saturn ION 2 2.2L L61
I tried this fix with no success. Although my security light was not on. the car was not running. Didn't mess anything up. I simply butt spliced the wire (cuz we all know not to use wire nuts on DC? right?? lol)

I have had several problems with this car ALL of which the exact same thing fixed it every single time. With the battery being in the trunk you have grounding issues due to the fact that they only ran a + (hot) wire to the front from the battery. No Ground. with all of the electronics being in the front this could cause problems. First the cooling fan stopped working. Upon doing every single test possible. the only cause of this was the computer wasn't sending the grounding signal for the relay to engage. Put it on a switch? (NEVER) I prefer to fix the problem. So after 6 hours of scratching my head and testing everything I finally said screw it and cleaned all of the grounds on the vehicle. probably more than what was needed. Which one fixed it i'll never know. What do ya know I started the car, turned on the A/C, and BAM the fan fired right up. That was in 2012. It's been working with no issues ever since.

Just a couple weeks ago the damn key got stuck in the ignition?!!?? not the normal kind of stuck where you push in the button from underneath and it releases it. The bad kind of stuck where its in the ON position... only direction you can turn it is to start it. Will not go back to accessories. Luckily i hadn't done a single recall on it yet. Towed it up to Ramey Chevrolet and they changed the Power steering motor, Trans Control Unit, Park brake switch, ignition cylinder w/ 2 keys, ignition switch and cleared the theft deterrent. total of $0.00 lol. Still nothing when you turn the key to start it. Not even a single click, but if I jumpered the ECM relay under the hood #31 labeled (ecm cont) is actually the (starter relay) it would turn over without ever starting. So I towed it home did countless hours of testing & pulling things apart checking everything... with no luck I finally said screw it. Cleaned the grounds and it started right up. I did notice during my testing the transmission saw only 11 volts while everything else was seeing 12.8. My software says the tranny requires a minimum of either what voltage the computer has or 12 volts +. so if the ground to the tranny is not that great and only getting 11 and the computer is getting 12.6 then it will not let the vehicle turn over. Hence NO CRANK NO START condition. Not to mention it was throwing codes for everything on one ground distribution circuit. Hence a bad ground. this circuit also included the power steering, and coolant sensor.

I have never had anything go wrong with the car besides these minor electrical issues im at 184,000 and have been ragging the **it out of it since 40k. lol. Have done the basics. Full Suspension every 60k, driveline(cv-halfshafts), wheel bearings, steering (inner/outer tie rods, sway bar bushings, all the mounts. Pennzoil 10w-30 high mileage and WIX oil filter gets me to about 6,000 miles before it even starts chaning colors really. about 9,000 to an oil change. (weird??? oversized oil capacity???) 5 quarts for a 2.2L? lol i used to put that much in my 5.7 350 lmao

[U]In Conclusion
CLEAN YOUR GROUNDS
bad idle or AC almost killing the car when Idling?
CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY EVERY 30,000 miles.
on the 06 it's 4 screws and a reusable gasket takes 10 minutes.

Below is a grounding location table.
I have everything you could ever need for the whole car (and any other car) 2012 and older.
from full diagrams of every single wire/sensor/switch location/removal/installation in the car to overhaul procedures for the entire motor or transmission.

I have a program called Mitchell's Pro Demand. So if anyone ever needs anything i can look it up for you. Beats the hell out of the book and makes everything much easier!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn grounds.jpg (168.0 KB, 16 views)
Blakers903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #13
db163678
db163678 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakers903 View Post
I tried this fix with no success. Although my security light was not on. the car was not running. Didn't mess anything up. I simply butt spliced the wire (cuz we all know not to use wire nuts on DC? right?? lol)

I have had several problems with this car ALL of which the exact same thing fixed it every single time. With the battery being in the trunk you have grounding issues due to the fact that they only ran a + (hot) wire to the front from the battery. No Ground. with all of the electronics being in the front this could cause problems. First the cooling fan stopped working. Upon doing every single test possible. the only cause of this was the computer wasn't sending the grounding signal for the relay to engage. Put it on a switch? (NEVER) I prefer to fix the problem. So after 6 hours of scratching my head and testing everything I finally said screw it and cleaned all of the grounds on the vehicle. probably more than what was needed. Which one fixed it i'll never know. What do ya know I started the car, turned on the A/C, and BAM the fan fired right up. That was in 2012. It's been working with no issues ever since.

Just a couple weeks ago the damn key got stuck in the ignition?!!?? not the normal kind of stuck where you push in the button from underneath and it releases it. The bad kind of stuck where its in the ON position... only direction you can turn it is to start it. Will not go back to accessories. Luckily i hadn't done a single recall on it yet. Towed it up to Ramey Chevrolet and they changed the Power steering motor, Trans Control Unit, Park brake switch, ignition cylinder w/ 2 keys, ignition switch and cleared the theft deterrent. total of $0.00 lol. Still nothing when you turn the key to start it. Not even a single click, but if I jumpered the ECM relay under the hood #31 labeled (ecm cont) is actually the (starter relay) it would turn over without ever starting. So I towed it home did countless hours of testing & pulling things apart checking everything... with no luck I finally said screw it. Cleaned the grounds and it started right up. I did notice during my testing the transmission saw only 11 volts while everything else was seeing 12.8. My software says the tranny requires a minimum of either what voltage the computer has or 12 volts +. so if the ground to the tranny is not that great and only getting 11 and the computer is getting 12.6 then it will not let the vehicle turn over. Hence NO CRANK NO START condition. Not to mention it was throwing codes for everything on one ground distribution circuit. Hence a bad ground. this circuit also included the power steering, and coolant sensor.

I have never had anything go wrong with the car besides these minor electrical issues im at 184,000 and have been ragging the **it out of it since 40k. lol. Have done the basics. Full Suspension every 60k, driveline(cv-halfshafts), wheel bearings, steering (inner/outer tie rods, sway bar bushings, all the mounts. Pennzoil 10w-30 high mileage and WIX oil filter gets me to about 6,000 miles before it even starts chaning colors really. about 9,000 to an oil change. (weird??? oversized oil capacity???) 5 quarts for a 2.2L? lol i used to put that much in my 5.7 350 lmao

[U]In Conclusion
CLEAN YOUR GROUNDS
bad idle or AC almost killing the car when Idling?
CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY EVERY 30,000 miles.
on the 06 it's 4 screws and a reusable gasket takes 10 minutes.

Below is a grounding location table.
I have everything you could ever need for the whole car (and any other car) 2012 and older.
from full diagrams of every single wire/sensor/switch location/removal/installation in the car to overhaul procedures for the entire motor or transmission.

I have a program called Mitchell's Pro Demand. So if anyone ever needs anything i can look it up for you. Beats the hell out of the book and makes everything much easier!!
Do you have diagram and or images of the entire engine bay
db163678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:49 PM   #14
JayyT
JayyT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakers903 View Post
The car needs to be running when cutting the white wire. Like everyone else, I've also been through the hell every winter and I've yet to fix it as well.

I noticed my sister's and gfs pontiac torrent have passlock bypasses modules under the steering wheel for the auto start, I might get one from a junk yard and try it out.

Or ive read you could take apart the ignition switch, clean it with alcohol and use a better electrical grease that can handle the cold better.
JayyT is offline   Reply With Quote