SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 02-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
capricess
capricess has a spectacular aura aboutcapricess has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL
Default broken CV axle

Sorry haven't been on a forum for awhile. I have 2001 Saturn sl manual , while I was backing up i heard a clung and the car wouldn't move my first thought was the diff pin or clutch, so left it set in my driveway for 6 month. This week I was going to junk it, but I looked underneath the car I saw a broken CV axle shafts on the passenger side so I charged the battery and turned it on and it started but I can't get in neutral if I press the clutch the broken CV shaft stops spinning and rpm slows down and the speed indicator also goes to zero while the car is running I could shift into 1, 2 and 3 without pressing the clutch. Could all this be due to the CV axle being broken or there is also something else broken. Note the clutch pedal seems a little lite but i haven't driven it for a while so I forgot how it feels , when I press the clutch it goes into 4th and 5th easily.
Thank you
capricess is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
capricess

2001 SL
Default Re: broken CV axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricess View Post
Sorry haven't been on a forum for awhile. I have 2001 Saturn sl manual , while I was backing up i heard a clung and the car wouldn't move my first thought was the diff pin or clutch, so left it set in my driveway for 6 month. This week I was going to junk it, but I looked underneath the car I saw a broken CV axle shafts on the passenger side so I charged the battery and turned it on and it started but I can't get in neutral if I press the clutch the broken CV shaft stops spinning and rpm slows down and the speed indicator also goes to zero while the car is running I could shift into 1, 2 and 3 without pressing the clutch. Could all this be due to the CV axle being broken or there is also something else broken. Note the clutch pedal seems a little lite but i haven't driven it for a while so I forgot how it feels , when I press the clutch it goes into 4th and 5th easily.
Thank you
Update the broken part is between the two rubber boots on the passenger side axle
Quick question wouldn't the driver side spin driver side tire ?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
capricess

2001 SL

Please help
Old 02-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Many are unfamiliar with what occurs when a front wheel drive xmission fails to drive the half shaft that isn't broken - every stock differential on front wheel drive xmissions simply drives the broke drive shaft. Front wheel drive differentials are not well understood until a drive shaft breaks and you're not alone; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...78#post2180578 Replace the broken half shaft and your car should be back in the road.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
capricess

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Many are unfamiliar with what occurs when a front wheel drive xmission fails to drive the half shaft that isn't broken - every stock differential on front wheel drive xmissions simply drives the broke drive shaft. Front wheel drive differentials are not well understood until a drive shaft breaks and you're not alone; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...78#post2180578 Replace the broken half shaft and your car should be back in the road.
Thank you that helped, regarding the symptoms of the first post about the car staying in gear even its in neutral position, Ihave to keep pressing the clutch in for it to disengage but soon as I remove my foot it starts spinning again.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
capricess

2001 SL

Checked the cable and the linkage under the hood and they work, so while the car is running it shifts into the first three gears without pressing the clutch only 4, 5 and reverse Ihave to press the clutch still can't get in neutral. Is it still due axle being broken.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

I'd take care of the CV axle first, then see what's up with the gearing.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
capricess

2001 SL

I ordered one already but don't want it to turn into money pit there is other things to do like the flex pipe and A/C unit.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
Hardy
Hardy is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

all the clutch does is bassically act like a brake for the input shaft so you can shift. when vehicle is in neutral the transmission will still spin inside unless you have the clutch in. normal operation.
2002 saturn sc2 1.9l automatic
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #10
capricess

2001 SL

Thank you, gonna replace the CV axle and hope for the best
Old 02-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

OK, so what issues are you having with the flex pipe and the AC?
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
capricess

2001 SL

Part of flexibility pipe is missing about an inch between the flex pipe and the cat, regarding the a/C the compressor stopped working.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricess View Post
Part of flexibility pipe is missing about an inch between the flex pipe and the cat, regarding the a/C the compressor stopped working.
The flex pipe is a $100 repair around here which involves welding a new flex pipe to the existing pipes.

Regarding the A/C it is probable that you have a leak in your system which once fixed, system cleaned and re-pressurized you'll be up and running again.

On the off chance it is a compressor failure (system still charged) then it'll be somewhat more costly and problematic. Replacement compressors as becoming hard to get and reman compressors are hit and miss from my experience.
1999 SL2 MT (299,400 km @ 11/2021)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #14
capricess

2001 SL

I checked the a/C it's charged and there is power going to it and like you said after market is hit or miss and also expensive
Old 02-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Checking a/c pressure is also hit or miss and often more miss when unfamiliar with vehicle a/c systems. Unless you are familiar with a/c operating pressures, measuring from the low pressure fitting will not tell anyone whether a system is full or nearly empty.

1-Whether a system has half a pound or the full amount of refrigerant, no one can say with certainty a system has the correct amount since both scenarios can have the exact same pressures.

2-Measuring standing pressure is not a way to check whether a system has a full charge or is nearly empty. For the S-series, pressures are measured with two gauges (refrigeration gauge set), connected to high and low side while monitoring @2000 rpm, not idle. Anyone attempting to measure pressures at idle and/or using one pressure gauge will not have any idea of what's in a system.

3-Saturns will not allow a/c systems to run below approximately 40F. Common sense would tell anyone if its cold enough for a meat locker, the a/c doesn't need to run - there's plenty of cold air to chill anyone without needing a/c.

If your local temperatures are well above 40F and you have 12 volts feeding the compressor clutch coil, it may be a blown clutch coil fuse.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #16
capricess

2001 SL

The a/C stopped working during the summer, where is the coil fuse?
I checked the ccompressor power connector with a test light and there was power.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Presuming local temps are above 40F when you have 12v on the compressor connector, be absolutely sure there's 12 volts on the connector. The clutch coil fuse is embedded (epoxied) into the coil assembly and not easily accessed when the entire compressor is removed to replace a blown coil. Its actually a thermal fuse to protect a slipping clutch from overheating or excessive refrigerant causing overheating from extreme high pressures that blows a thermal fuse. Once blown, coils can be replaced if the clutch can be removed without the special tool needed to pull the clutch plate off. At this point it may be wiser to replace the compressor altogether due to difficulty in clutch plate removal before the coil can be removed. Some members have their clutch plate fall off once the bolt is removed but these are exceptions to the rule. Access to repairs is already limited so compressor removal is a service procedure for repairs. Some members with a die hard attitude found ways to repair their blown thermal fuse (search for past threads) while some found coils with thermal fuse accessible for easy replacement. There are no labels to tell which coils have easily replaceable thermal fuses when the majority of coils last the life of most cars.

Measuring for a blown thermal fuse is simple with a multimeter set for resistance measurement. Coils and thermal fuse are wired in series and will measure between 2-4 ohms (low resistance for high current to create the strong magnetic force needed to pull in a clutch plate). Measurement is made between the short wire and compressor frame (ground). An open reading means a blown thermal fuse.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #18
capricess

2001 SL

Thanks for info, I will start the a/C repair when it gets warmer outside it's in the low 30. Doing cv axle this weekend, hopefully the goes back to normal and goes in neutral.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #19
capricess

2001 SL
Mad Re: broken CV axle

I love this car and don't want to see it go, in 7 years it took me and the entire family to Florida 6 times fully loaded and even when it broke down it happened in the driveway after getting me home from work.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #20
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Pretty easy to DIY on the passenger side

My experience on the driver side (when I first joined Saturnfans, back in 2009 - car is still running strong)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137511

Then passenger side
http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...postcount=1087

ShawnV's How to with pics (ignore the parts about the axle seal; remove and replace axle is part of the process)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157297
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote