SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
xybaby
xybaby is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
Default About transmission fluid for manual transmission

My 2002 Saturn SL already has 72000 miles. I guess it is a good time to change transmission fluid. I have couple of questions and hope you can help:

1. There are clutch fluid and transmission fluid on the car. Are they the same? Should I change both of them at the same time?

2. I know Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF is very good for manual transmission. Is this link the same one? It is called "Mobil1 Dexron/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid".

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T%7CGRP2071___

3. Do the following two pictures show the fill hole and drain hole positions? I am not sure which nut is for drain hole.

Fill Hole:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d...0/P1010522.JPG

Drain Hole:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7...0/P1010516.JPG

4. Under the car, I found some black, oily grease on some area of transmission house, as shown in the following picture. I have cleaned the grease using wipe. It is actually in the red circle region. What does this tell me?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z...0/P1010517.JPG

Thank you all for the help! Happy Holiday!
xybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
LabRat
Advanced Member
LabRat is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1999 SL2
Default Re: About transmission fluid for manual transmission

The clutch hydraulics use brake fluid. The manual transmission uses ATF. They do not interchange.
-LR
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
cheapybob
Advanced Member
cheapybob will become famous soon enough

2000 SC1
1999 SC2

100% Mobil 1 Atf might be trouble for 1st gear syncro.

Oldnuc recommends aes-295 fluid like torque-drive or transynd.

you might search as the thread was only a few weeks ago
Gone - 92 SL1, 96 SC2, 97 SC1
Current - 99 SC2 5 spd, 00 SC1 5 spd
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Photos are correct for the locations of the fill and drain. The fill is also the dipstick. And that's a typical depiction of a once-red dipstick handle turned black by years of crud-ification.

Oil on the tranny case is most likely from the valve cover gasket, having leaked all the way down and around.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The clutch hydraulics are sealed, not designed to be bled. Just top off the reservoir with DOT 3 fluid if it is low or black looking.

Mobil-1 ATF will work but the Torque-Drive or Transynd will work even better.

Use a Dorman 12mm rubber drain plug gasket on the trans drain plug and you will get rid of a leak. And do not over tighten the drain as the case will crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xybaby View Post
My 2002 Saturn SL already has 72000 miles. I guess it is a good time to change transmission fluid. I have couple of questions and hope you can help:

1. There are clutch fluid and transmission fluid on the car. Are they the same? Should I change both of them at the same time?

2. I know Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF is very good for manual transmission. Is this link the same one? It is called "Mobil1 Dexron/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid".

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T%7CGRP2071___

3. Do the following two pictures show the fill hole and drain hole positions? I am not sure which nut is for drain hole.

Fill Hole:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d...0/P1010522.JPG

Drain Hole:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7...0/P1010516.JPG

4. Under the car, I found some black, oily grease on some area of transmission house, as shown in the following picture. I have cleaned the grease using wipe. It is actually in the red circle region. What does this tell me?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z...0/P1010517.JPG

Thank you all for the help! Happy Holiday!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
xybaby

2002 SL

Where can I buy Torque-Drive or Transynd? It seems like they are not available in chain stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The clutch hydraulics are sealed, not designed to be bled. Just top off the reservoir with DOT 3 fluid if it is low or black looking.

Mobil-1 ATF will work but the Torque-Drive or Transynd will work even better.

Use a Dorman 12mm rubber drain plug gasket on the trans drain plug and you will get rid of a leak. And do not over tighten the drain as the case will crack.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Transynd is located at large truck stops or repair shops for trucks. It is about $40.00/gallon and you will end up using most of a gallon. Torque-Drive is about the same price and the local Amsoil dealer has it. http://www.amsoil.com/locator/index.aspx
Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

I had a whining 5-sp and it was much happier with Pennzoil synchromesh fluid. The whine disappeared and it shifted much more smoothly. Available at your local chain store for about $8/qt.

Best,
---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Synchromesh is not recommended for upstate NY climate as it will be excessively viscous in winter. It is fine in summer.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #10
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Where can I buy Torque-Drive or Transynd? It seems like they are not available in chain stores.
Locators for Transynd and Delvac http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...sp?ThisPage=10

All TES 295 approved fluids http://www.allisontransmission.com/s...sp?ThisPage=3&

TorqueDrive is Amsoils copy of the Transynd and not on the list.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:12 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I don't think it has to be Allison approved for a Saturn transmission.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
I don't think it has to be Allison approved for a Saturn transmission.
He asked where to buy the fluid. I provided the link. The link to the snake oil dealers claiming they can't get certified had already been provided.

Being the desired fluid was one the same as the TES 295 spec, it made sense to provide the other alternatives as a link as well. I know you prefer to support only the brand never certified and marketed with the use of smoke and mirrors, but I fail to see why you object to leading people to information of those companies that actually went through the certification process.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
My 2002 Saturn SL already has 72000 miles. I guess it is a good time to change transmission fluid.
Well, I don't know if winter in NY is a good time to change the fluid but the owner's manual says 100k for the manual transmission fluid change, so you still have 28k miles to go. Won't hurt to change it early, seems like you have done your homework
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
He asked where to buy the fluid. I provided the link. The link to the snake oil dealers claiming they can't get certified had already been provided.

Being the desired fluid was one the same as the TES 295 spec, it made sense to provide the other alternatives as a link as well. I know you prefer to support only the brand never certified and marketed with the use of smoke and mirrors, but I fail to see why you object to leading people to information of those companies that actually went through the certification process.
Your H8 of anything Amsoil has warped your thinking.

I answered where to buy either product and the Casterol product is on the shelf in almost every large truck stop in the country.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Well, I don't know if winter in NY is a good time to change the fluid but the owner's manual says 100k for the manual transmission fluid change, so you still have 28k miles to go. Won't hurt to change it early, seems like you have done your homework
That 100K recommendation comes and goes depending on which manual you read but if you are using one of the Torque-Drive or Transynd fluids they will outlast the car.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Your H8 of anything Amsoil has warped your thinking.

I answered where to buy either product and the Casterol product is on the shelf in almost every large truck stop in the country.
And I provided a link that actually locates those large truck dealers, and some of the dealers for another alternative. In my case I can get the Delvac even closer than the Transynd.

As for Amsoil I think they actually make some really solid products. But I've seen far too much deception in their advertising, and in many cases blatant lies. Being that only Amsoil claims it is a near exact copy of the Transynd the statement is IMO in doubt since they also claim nobody other than Castrol is allowed to certify as TES 295 approved.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #17
xybaby

2002 SL

Thanks everyone for the helpful discussion.

I will try to find Torque-Drive or Transynd around me. If I have a bad luck, will Mobil-1 synthetic ATF work well in cold winter of upper state NY? I went through some old discussion. Some were happy, but others felt the shift was harder with Mobil-1.

Happy New Year to all your guys.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Mobil-1 may be an improvement but the Torque-Drive is regarded as an improvement over the Mobil-1. There should be either a big truck stop or a local Amsoil dealer in your area. Either is fine for deep winter.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
mattwithcats
mattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

The fluid you need is Dexron III

Not Dexron VI, too thin

Go to GM dealer, get three quarts of
Manual transmission and transfer case fluid,
part # 88861800
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the helpful discussion.

I will try to find Torque-Drive or Transynd around me. If I have a bad luck, will Mobil-1 synthetic ATF work well in cold winter of upper state NY? I went through some old discussion. Some were happy, but others felt the shift was harder with Mobil-1.

Happy New Year to all your guys.
Castrol product data sheet Transynd Data Sheet

Mobil 1 Data Sheet

And just for a low cost comparison.....

Warren non synthetic ATF Warren is also marketed under the Coastal brand name IIRC

It appears the Mobil 1 is thinner at lower temps, but very close at temps above where are transmissions likely generate. Keep in mind all input is specific to climates, state of the transmission, etc. I run a non synthetic close to the Warren and get away with 1st gear downshifts that others say can't be done at that speed. It could be fluids, weather, or simply the state of the transmission and the abuse it has taken.

I'd post the Torque Drive data sheet, but it appears in their side by side comparison to the Transynd Amsoil has altered the numbers posted in the Transynd data sheet and "equalized" some of them. I'm sure it was unintentional error of course.