ACDelco 0 0%
Gates 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
thewayiseeit240
thewayiseeit240 is on a distinguished road

Default Which Thermostat?

I have a 2000 Saturn SL SOHC 1.9L
I have searched around and read the 'checklist' but come up dry.
I'm pretty sure I need a thermostat due to temp reading 1/4 all the time.
I have replaced ECTS and still get 1/4 reading.
The only other thing I need to replace is the intake manifold gasket but besides that I do not know which STAT # to get.
14279 or 35279?
and does it come with a gasket/o-ring?
thank you.
thewayiseeit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
coolgreany
coolgreany is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Which Thermostat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayiseeit240 View Post
The only other thing I need to replace is the intake manifold gasket but besides that I do not know which STAT # to get.
14279 or 35279?
According to the checklist "It is recommended to replace this with a STANT 14279 188/195 degrees F thermostat."
02 VUE Auto AWD-63k-Florida
02 SL2 Manual -76K, Germany
00 SL2 Auto-90K-failed emissions, Portland, OR
99 SL2 Auto-115K-aging, Portland, OR

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
I have a 2000 Saturn SL SOHC 1.9L
I have searched around and read the 'checklist' but come up dry.
I'm pretty sure I need a thermostat due to temp reading 1/4 all the time.
I have replaced ECTS and still get 1/4 reading.
14279 or 35279?
Yep, you'll need a thermostat, if you've checked the ECTS connector and all was well for re-using (IOW, no damage and no green icky corrosion)

and yes, 14279 is what you need.

Quote:
and does it come with a gasket/o-ring?
Yeah, but most people have found that it's a smidge too big and it won't go in the groove properly (hence why I personally never replaced my gasket and there were no obvious leaks; YMMV). I believe you can order another gasket for the thermostat, though.

Quote:
thank you.
No problem.
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The gasket is oversized by design. Set the 4 corners and then compress each side into the grove.

STANT 14279 for the thermostat. Not the CarQuest look alike...
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The gasket is oversized by design.
Yes, I'm sure they design the ring to not fit in the groove just to create frustration and annoy buyers.

There is thread after thread of oversized O-rings beyond the size that can be forced into the groove. Likewise more than a few threads concerning the early failures in the Stant units that have to be replaced early in their life.

A simple part such as a thermostat will likely never have 100% quality control, but when I see a trend of problems I move away. The "preferred" part seems to be one with a trend of problems.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by signmaster View Post

a simple part such as a thermostat will likely never have 100% quality control, but when i see a trend of problems i move away. The "preferred" part seems to be one with a trend of problems.
^^^ +1
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 11/12/20: 78,895 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Your complaining is out of date, no recent complaints. O-ring seems to fit just fine.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Montreal300
Montreal300 has a spectacular aura aboutMontreal300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

I just replaced mine last week, The O ring did seem to be a bit oversized and wanted to pop out. However, a couple of dabs of silicaone to hold in place solved the issue.
2002 SL1 (55,000 km @ 11/12/2016)
2006 Chrysler 300C (modified)
2012 Hyundai Santa Fe
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Montreal300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

To seal properly it is supposed to be a tight fit against the outside edge of the recess. If you roll it in it will promptly roll back out. A couple spots of RTV will hold it in though as you explained above.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
^^^ +1
agreed; heck alordofchaos and myself got the classic Stant syndrome -- broken or completely removed rubber seal in the part that goes into the housing!

In all fairness, it's the design of the thermostat itself, NOT Stant's fault. it is the reason why you hardly see thermostats designed like ours.
97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
Old 12-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Your complaining is out of date, no recent complaints. O-ring seems to fit just fine.
It's a shame a post an hour after your shows that an an incorrect statement. Please keep making excuses for what is probably the most often failing unit you find when you search the forums.

Quote:
Set the 4 corners and then compress each side into the grove.
How exactly do you find the corner of a circle?

A quick search will show a fairly high number of Stant failures at short use periods, and plenty of improperly sized O-rings, along with a number of excuses why both occur.

Personally I would buy anything that fits the stock housing other than the standard Stant unit everyone keeps buying.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Personally I would buy anything that fits the stock housing other than the standard Stant unit everyone keeps buying.
OK, find a non-stant thermostat which trips between 188-195 degrees F like the stant and has somewhat better build quality. Bonus points if it fits in the existing housing and you don't have to get a custom housing.

I'll be waiting.
97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
OK, find a non-stant thermostat which trips between 188-195 degrees F like the stant and has somewhat better build quality. Bonus points if it fits in the existing housing and you don't have to get a custom housing.

I'll be waiting.
NAPA 268. I've run one for years and it runs the same place on the gauge as the markings of those with Stants. It also more closely resembles what shipped in my car, and despite claims to the contrary is stamped "Made in Germany".

For that matter most replacement thermostats fit in the stock housing, and I've yet to see anyone state early failures with other brands vs the Stants.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
NAPA 268. I've run one for years and it runs the same place on the gauge as the markings of those with Stants. It also more closely resembles what shipped in my car, and despite claims to the contrary is stamped "Made in Germany".

For that matter most replacement thermostats fit in the stock housing, and I've yet to see anyone state early failures with other brands vs the Stants.
Then I'll have to keep that in mind next time my Stant wants to bite the dust.. thanks buddy
97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
Then I'll have to keep that in mind next time my Stant wants to bite the dust.. thanks buddy
In my case I tend to use whatever works and doesn't fail. If you do a search for Txsaturn02 I'm fairly sure he used one of the units with the unique housing, yet it works the same as his OEM, and is market with the same temp markings and "Made in Germany" the same as his OEM.

Personally I'd just stay away from the ones the run real cool, regardless of what the brand. And if I had early failures with the NAPA or any other brand, warn everyone else with a post on the forums. A single failure is one thing, but if there is a trend within any specific brand or type it can be a red flag to anyone else.

Some sites even claim the NAPA units are a Stant Superstat. I'm not sure if this is true of all NAPA units or not. I just know the unit I got is not of the same design as the Stant units people here tend to use, and it's worked fine.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
thewayiseeit240
thewayiseeit240 is on a distinguished road

Will red RTV be alright to hold in the o-ring gasket or do I need black?
I understand the thermostat should only go in one way, does the position need to be in specific direction, like some thermostats have the jiggle valve needing to be facing in the up in the 12 o'clock direction?
Maybe this thermo doesn't have jiggle valve, idk.
What is the thermostat housing torque specs?
thank you all for this informative help, much appreciated.
thewayiseeit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
In my case I tend to use whatever works and doesn't fail. If you do a search for Txsaturn02 I'm fairly sure he used one of the units with the unique housing, yet it works the same as his OEM, and is market with the same temp markings and "Made in Germany" the same as his OEM.
Yep. I can't remember the brand. I just went to Autozone and asked for a thermostat for my car. They brought it out and it looked IDENTICAL to the one that came originally with my car. It has been in there for four years without issue, and it was indeed "Made in Germany". Labeled 85, assuming that meant 185 degrees? Dunno. The original from the factory had the exact same markings.
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 11/12/20: 78,895 Miles

Last edited by TXSaturn02; 12-31-2011 at 09:46 PM.
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #18
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
Yep. I can't remember the brand. I just went to Autozone and asked for a thermostat for my car. They brought it out and it looked IDENTICAL to the one that came originally with my car. It has been in there for four years without issue, and it was indeed "Made in Germany". Labeled 85, assuming that meant 185 degrees? Dunno. The original from the factory had the exact same markings.
I'm pretty sure that would be 85 degrees C (but would still be 185 degrees F).
97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
Old 01-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #19
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I didn't have a problem with the fitment of the O ring gasket on either of my Stants; first one done mid-08, I think, or the one a month or so ago
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #20
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Original engine rebuild as documented by this site @ 177K due to high oil consumption. Mpgs back to 40+. Car runs smooth, like a top. Now at 220k. Successful rebuild !

1996 SL2

I also did not have a problem with the O-ring on my Stant.

Suppose everybody used the Stants and nothing else. That would make it pretty dammed hard to catch complaints for any other thermostat.

Point is, the Stants are the most popular IMHO... so of course "if" there are complaints, most likely it will be from the Stants. I have not noticed any complaint posts and if there are some, I would be taking things with a grain of salt as as many nubie DYIers screw up and not notice things or do things that would cause the units to fail or not operate properly.
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote