saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #21
coolgreany
coolgreany is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 2002 SL2 Stalls when coming to a Stop

[QUOTE=Maroon97SL;1825837]Hey greany i have an update for ya. Pulled my TB off again and Yanked on the IACV, it was a B@#$% to move. It does not spin at all and I didn't hear any clicking. I installed everything back on the car, unhooked the battery for about 5 minutes hooked it back up and drove it around for about 20min. My rpm didn't drop below 800 What so ever. QUOTE]

Thanks for the update. Mine seems a little better today (perhaps only a single dip and not as drastic as 600 rpm before it returns) but the jury is still out. Maybe disconnecting the battery is the trick so I'll do that tonight after work and see how it responds in the morning.
02 VUE Auto AWD-63k-Florida
02 SL2 Manual -76K, Germany
00 SL2 Auto-90K-failed emissions, Portland, OR
99 SL2 Auto-115K-aging, Portland, OR

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #22
coolgreany

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Things are looking up.

I checked the OBD codes today and it had a "Pending" P0107 (MAP Sensor low voltage) so I cleared it. I pulled the PCM-B fuse for a few hours this afternoon and then all appeared to be nominal on the way home - only a 3 mile ~ 10 minute drive but enough to get the temp gauge up to the 1/4 steady state mark. No dip in RPMs when I arrived home.

So, it looks like one/all of the following may have resolved the issue:

New Plugs and wires (less likely)
New ECTS (less likely)
TB, IACV and EGR Cleaning (most likely one of these and probably the IACV as the TB and EGR did not appear to be that dirty)

Thanks for everyone's help and fingers crossed to see if everything remains normal after I get a few more miles under it.

In any event, I'll probably do a thermostat and antifreeze change-out as it's probably due!

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K
Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #23
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Although this may seem out of the ordinary except for long haul truck driving, blocking off part of the radiator for winter driving can help retain heat as well as accelerate engine warm up for the very short drive you do. With the engine operating well, blocking off part of the radiator with a well placed piece of plastic cardboard (weather proof) would allow faster warm up while any long drive will allow cold air to flow through the rest of the unblocked portion of the radiator and still have the cooling fan switch on in overheated conditions. Being mindful of this radiator blocking for winter use can help as done by truck drivers knowing how to keep their diesel engines warm on long drives through cold temps.

With a map sensor fault, pulling it to clean out any debris (Q-tip) blocking the little hole used to monitor manifold pressure may help.

Most sensors that are pulled for general cleaning won't upset the pcm - its the same sensor. There are few exceptions; replacing the pcm, bcm, Passlock sensors in the steering column, and removing the pcm fuse. The first three require 'marrying' major components as part of the security recognition process, requiring a 30-minute relearn procedure. The pcm fuse pull resets it back to factory defaults that allows the engine/transmission to relearn engine/xmission customized parameters that come with each driver's way of driving. The parameters are added to the factory defaults as well as taking into consideration the parts that wear out - sort of custom tuning for each engine/xmission for each car to allow maximizing performance/reliability/longevity without the periodic tune-ups from past non EFI engines. Pcm fuse pulling only requires 15 seconds or so to let some electronics drain residual voltage (capacitors). A brake pedal press draws out any retained voltages as the lamps serve as resistors to drain what voltage remains in the electrical circuits.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #24
coolgreany

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Although this may seem out of the ordinary except for long haul truck driving, blocking off part of the radiator for winter driving can help retain heat as well as accelerate engine warm up for the very short drive you do
Yes, I've seen that in real cold climates but the car heats up OK. It's due for a antifreeze flush/renew and a new thermostat.

Quote:
With a map sensor fault, pulling it to clean out any debris (Q-tip) blocking the little hole used to monitor manifold pressure may help.
I'm not sure if that P0107 code was real and if it was I haven't noticed anything except for the idle issue (apparently gone now). If the code returns I'll check the MAP sensor voltage and clean it - I presume that it's the device below the TB housing on the driver's side (3rd Gen DOHC). IF so, I probably should have checked it out when I had the TB removed!!

Quote:
The pcm fuse pull resets it back to factory defaults that allows the engine/transmission to relearn engine/xmission customized parameters that come with each driver's way of driving.
Does that mean I may have erased any PCM Software/Firmware updates that a dealer had made previously? It (along with the cleanings) apparently cleared up my original idle issue. Was it wrong to pull the fuse? Was it the same as disconnecting the battery? Should I re-pull the fuse and do the brake pedal press?[/QUOTE]

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K
Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #25
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Firmware changes are written in non volatile memory, separate from volatile memory that's erased by removing power. This volatile memory is the same as the radio presets that disappear when a separate hot wire is removed from the radio. The radio has two power wires; one for ON/OFF power that's really a soft power circuit and the main hot wire that powers the radio memory so the clock and presets are retained when the radio/ignition switch is turned off. The memory is never lost as long as the hot wire is hot. The ecm/pcm has the same two separate memories; one for factory programming that requires a special wiring scheme to access while the memory we can erase is the least important of the two. You didn't lose any firmware upgrades because every time a battery is removed for replacement or a dead battery is involved where power is completely lost, only volatile memory is lost - this is easily restored when power is returned. The ecm/pcm has this capability to renew itself so its never really lost.

The factory default programming is always there when power is restored but the engine/transmission must be driven some to allow the ecm/pcm learn some custom parameters that fine tunes everything without causing any concern. The new parameters are stored in erasable memory that are changed dynamically as the engine/xmission runs. Most parameters are learned on the first start up and drive with little fanfare. Some members notice a dramatic change such as replacing the infamous coolant sensor that always ran rich with higher idling. The instant starting, warm up and return to a normal low rpm idle is the dramatic change as the pcm relearns against the correct coolant sensor and adjusts xmission shifts. Some leave the pcm alone while others pull battery negative; both accomplish the same goals to help the pcm to adjust automatically to new parts.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #26
coolgreany

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Thanks fdryer - she's running fine now!