saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Hoagrod
Advanced Member
Hoagrod is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Just bought an 2006 RL

So I just picked up a 2006 Vue Redline AWD with 25k on the odometer. It's in really good shape, but I have some concerns. Driving down the highway there is a bad air leak in the passenger door somewhere and it's noticealby loud. Also with a little snow we just got I couldn't even make it up my drive way. The front tires would spin, then the AWD engaged or what seemed like it was attempting to do and it made this loud buzzing noise. I'm new to this AWD system so I'm not sure how the AWD system is supposed act or when it's supposed to engage. Something just doesn't seem right. Any insight would be great.

thanks,

Evan
Hoagrod is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Just bought an 2006 RL

Snow tires are ideal, as all seasons will slip as you mentioned. Not really sure about the AWD noises.

Congrats on your new RL too
"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
hein
Advanced Member
hein will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Welcome to the RL forum. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind saying?

Check this thread about wind noise: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164323

You might search about the AWD and specifically the Rear Drive Module or RDM. There is a lot to read about them.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagrod View Post
So I just picked up a 2006 Vue Redline AWD with 25k on the odometer. It's in really good shape, but I have some concerns. Driving down the highway there is a bad air leak in the passenger door somewhere and it's noticealby loud. Also with a little snow we just got I couldn't even make it up my drive way. The front tires would spin, then the AWD engaged or what seemed like it was attempting to do and it made this loud buzzing noise. I'm new to this AWD system so I'm not sure how the AWD system is supposed act or when it's supposed to engage. Something just doesn't seem right. Any insight would be great.

thanks,

Evan

The AWD only engages after quite a bit of front wheel spin. As soon as you release the gas it disengages. Buzzing noise is usually fixed by changing the fluid in the RDM (rear diff). Go to your dealer and ask for versatrak fluid - it's expensive ($90 for 3 bottles, you need 6 quarts I think). The Vue shouldn't have a problem climbing an icy driveway, mine does it daily.
2004 Vue 3.5L AWD
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
Vue in Ontario
Vue in Ontario is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Hoagrod

...interesting, that you register a year and a half before your first post.

Anyway snow tires sure would help, I take it the vehicle has the original Turenza's on it?

Do you get a lot of snow where you are?
Vue in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Hoagrod
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

I joined the forum a while ago because I had a Saturn Ion and was looking for some parts for it at the time. I've always loved the Redline Vue, but they're hard to find in Minnesota. I finally came across one here in MN and it seemed like a good buy. It's a 2006 with 25,200 miles on it and I paid $14k for it.

It does have the turenza's on it. I think the buzzing noise may be the traction control activating. I don't see a traction control button anywhere nor did a traction light come on when I was trying to get up the driveway. Are the redlines equipped with Traction Control?

I guess I'm just worried a little buying a vehicle without any warranty and maybe I'm just being paranoid with these problems. Rear wiper seems like it struggles to work, but if you turn it on and off a few times it eventually moves. I did read a thread on that about the gears being over greased. Wind noise coming in the passenger door is annoying, so I'll read up on that (kind of seems like the door doesn't shut all the way flush like the driver's side).

Overall it still smells new inside, interior is flawless and the the exterior seems to be in good shape. Just snowed here so I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet being that I've only had it for a few days.

Evan
Old 03-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

There's a multitude of VUE Red Line's in Detroit. Once I was at a Lowe's and there was 4 Red Line VUE's in the parking lot. A Blue, Red, Black and Silver one...

I would loved to had a white VUE Red Line.

My local dealer would only get 2 of them a year. I know of only 3 other VUE Red Line's in New Orleans. All of them Black...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

I guess I'm just worried a little buying a vehicle without any warranty
Evan
$14 Grand and no warranty??

Geez! mines not a RL, but still a 3.5 AWD..took a month in WNY to find it at the time. Only paid 8! granted nowhere near 25k miles..

I STILL got a limited warranty!!!

Glad you joined the forum then!! and welcome!
"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

I paid more than that for my 04 with 62k on it. Mine's AWD and moonroof, but still. Then again, that was before GM gave us all the middle finger and said "ye shall have no resale".

After this Vue you couldn't GIVE me another GM.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Vue in Ontario
Vue in Ontario is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight13 View Post
$14 Grand and no warranty??

Geez! mines not a RL, but still a 3.5 AWD..took a month in WNY to find it at the time. Only paid 8! granted nowhere near 25k miles..

I STILL got a limited warranty!!!

Glad you joined the forum then!! and welcome!
Was it a small dealership? If it was I take it you never had to use that warranty, because some of those 3rd party warranties the small dealers use aren't worth the paper they're written on.

I paid 12G's for my 06 RL with 51,000k from a large Chrysler dealership.... (about 30,000 miles). Absolutely no warranty either... I could have had warranty but it would have cost more, more that I didn't want to spend.
Vue in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I joined the forum a while ago because I had a Saturn Ion and was looking for some parts for it at the time. I've always loved the Redline Vue, but they're hard to find in Minnesota. I finally came across one here in MN and it seemed like a good buy. It's a 2006 with 25,200 miles on it and I paid $14k for it.

It does have the turenza's on it. I think the buzzing noise may be the traction control activating. I don't see a traction control button anywhere nor did a traction light come on when I was trying to get up the driveway. Are the redlines equipped with Traction Control?

I guess I'm just worried a little buying a vehicle without any warranty and maybe I'm just being paranoid with these problems. Rear wiper seems like it struggles to work, but if you turn it on and off a few times it eventually moves. I did read a thread on that about the gears being over greased. Wind noise coming in the passenger door is annoying, so I'll read up on that (kind of seems like the door doesn't shut all the way flush like the driver's side).

Overall it still smells new inside, interior is flawless and the the exterior seems to be in good shape. Just snowed here so I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet being that I've only had it for a few days.

Evan
AWD doesn't have traction control, only FWD does.
2004 Vue 3.5L AWD
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #12
Hoagrod
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

Ok, so here's the test I did. I stopped completely at the bottom of my driveway(which has a decent incline and then from a stand still I proceeded to hit the gas to get up my drive way(which has snow on it) and all I would hear is a grinding/rubbing noise that kind of sounds like a tire rubbing on plastic molding or something like that. Doesn't appear to do it on snow on flat ground, but the AWD delays then grabs with a noticeable jerk. Is this normal? I have no idea of the service history for this vehicle, but when I bought the vehicle it had just under 25K on the odometer and from the the owner's manual it looks like quite a few things need to be greased, changed or lubed. New to this guys/gals, so I'm searching for assistance/recommendations. I know some basics, but I've never changed or added fluid in an RDM (seems to the problematic center of the Vue if not taken care of) before, nor do I know when it needs changing or in need of more fluid. Help!!!!

Evan

P.S. Love the forum and everyone has been very helpful so far. Bringing the RL back to the dealership this weekend to hopefully get the passenger doors adjusted so there isn't anymore interior wind noise. Also noticed that the bottom side of the radiator is bent badly and the molding brackets from the bumper that attach to the frame are completely broken off. Looks like someone landed it on a curb or something. Jeeeeeez
Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
docderek05
docderek05 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Evan, Welcome,

I have an 05 RL and I too had passenger door windnoise..
here is what i did...
and I caution you to be very careful, before you attempt it, on your own
RL. but it worked for me. and it's quiet now. I took a heavy blanket
and a piece of 1x4 board just long enough to span inside across door trim, I wrapped the board with the blanket, padding it.
I placed it as near the top of the door trim above the pull handles..
and standing inside facing out w one foot on the side rail and my knee on the middle of the door, with the Window UP..in the frame, I grabbed the top of the frame, and SLOOOWWWLY started to pull it toward me..gingerly man..gingerly!!!..enough pressure to feel it move..slightly..
and then Stop!..do not try to do it again!!
close the door...go out on your favorite highway..and you may have solved
the wind noise on that door window frame, Like I said, please only one attempt and gingerly brother..cause you could mess up bad. but It worked for me, if you are willing to give it a try. Best, Doc
docderek05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
Hoagrod
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

Thanks for the tip, I might have to try this. From the outside of the car you can notice that the top part of the door doesn't sit flush like the bottom part. Also from the outside you can push on the top frame (and it moves quite up bit inwards) and see the it's bowed out. I wonder what caused this or was it presumably like that from the factory? I suppose previous owner could have shut the seat belt or something in the door that bent it.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #15
HerBabyTruck
HerBabyTruck is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Adjusting the door via hinge bolts or? would be a lot better than trying to force/bend it. Try taking it to a good body shop, they should know how to adjust it and may also help you out with the broken front bumper cover mounts.?? Sounds like you really need a thorough check over to get everything sorted out, unless you are able to do the inspections and repairs yourself. Hope all goes well, they are really a fun, decent little SUV for the price. By the way I just got a recall notice concerning the transmission and torque converter for the odd surgeing some of them have at around 35mph. So at least GM is still taking care of them.
HerBigTruck = SILVERADO HD K2500 8.1 Allison
HerBabyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #16
docderek05

2005 VUE Red Line

Evan,

Take a sheet of copier paper, or a dollar bill, and put it on the top of the door so when you close it, the bill or paper is between the rubber seal and the in and outside of the Vue.
can you tug on it..and make it slide out easily? if you can..then move it..
from the front of the door, and continue trying to pull it down the whole length of the door seal, see how much force it takes..
you should be tugging to make it come out...if it slides out easily the whole width of the door..you are NOT going to be able to just "adjust" that..with the door hinges. if you loosen the hinges,The whole door frame will be all over the place, and you will never get a good seal..because the top of your window frame is biased outward..ie..outboard of the seal. you will also then be attempting to align the door so that the striker and catch post are also aligned so you can properly close the door to lock it. (you, or probably better, a body shop) need to gently pull the frame in..so the rubber seal contacts the curved surface of the inside of the metal door opening's structure. take it to a reputable shop. and explain it, they will examine it..and probably do what I just described in my last post.
Best, Doc.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
Hoagrod
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

So I did what you had suggested with copier paper. I place the sheet of paper on the top of the door and closed it with some of the paper inside and some out, I then pulled on it and there was slight resistance. I then did the same thing on the "B" pillar (vertical portion) of the door and there is no resistance when pulling the paper out.

To compare I did it on the drivers side as well and there was definitely more resistance on the top and side of the door as compared to the passenger side. So something is obviously out of whack with the passenger door.
2006 Vue RedLine.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
docderek05

2005 VUE Red Line

Evan, you got it brother,

Now my best advice is to find a friend who is a body man,
and get advice as to how to get that gap closed up..if you
can pull paper that easily, what is wind doing to that seal as you are
cruising on the highway?...I know I kind of stuck my neck out saying
put some pressure on it to bend it in..but maybe you should bring it to a good shop and let them take the responsibility of doing the adjustment
Best of Luck on it..so at least we know where the air is getting in.. Regards, Doc
Old 03-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #19
Hoagrod
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

If you're sitting in the passenger seat, it basically sounds like your door isn't shut all the way. My wife is usually oblivious to these kinds of things and even she was like "is my door still open because it's loud over here?" I'm taking it back to the dealer where I bought it as they state they have a great body shop and is willing to fix the problem.
2006 Vue RedLine.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #20
Hoagrod
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

Went to the dealer today and they fixed the interior wind noise I was having. They adjusted the bracket that the door mechanism attaches to when you close to the door. The loosened it and slide it inwards a bit and now the doors sit flush.

Had the AWD fluid checked and it was low. As the manual states, if your fluid is low, you need to add fluid to until it reaches the bottom of the fill plug, but seek further assitance because you may have issues with your AWD. How does the fluid go down if it's not leaking anywhere?
2006 Vue RedLine.