SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
ezzieyguywuf
ezzieyguywuf is on a distinguished road

Default Manual Transmission Questions

I got the tranny out since I'm rebuilding my motor ('97 SL2 soon to be 000 miles ). The motor is going in on Saturday, so I I don't have time to rebuild it or anything (wouldn't even know how) but It has a lot of gunk on it and I was wondering what's a good way to clean it. Can I hose it off? We got a high-pressure "Tempest" at the machine shop that I'm building it in, but I dunno if this would be bad for the tranny or not.

Also, I've read about welding the diff pin. What the heck is this, and how hard is it to get to if I got the tranny sitting on the ground.

Thanks
ezzieyguywuf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Manual Transmission Questions

To weld the pin you get to take it all apart. Purple Power and a brush is your best exterior cleaner. Keep the water out of the innards. Don't spray any down the quill shaft either.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
ezzieyguywuf

Is taking it apart to get to the diff pin very involved? Is welding the diff pin necessary? I'd like my motor to run for another 200k miles, maybe even 400k (since I can assure that it will have regular oil jobs etc) and would hate for something like a diff pin prevent that from happening. What the heck is the diff pin anyways. What kind of failure can it cause?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is the pin that the differential pinions run on. Taking the transmission apart is not difficult but welding the pin does require a knowledgeable welder as it is a difficult dissimilar metal weld. There is a hard plastic sheet inside the differential so heat is an additional issue.

The reason for welding the pin is that they sometimes come out. This breaks the case. Just buying a spare transmission will be about the same cost and probably simpler to just change the trans out if you loose the pin.

This is how to get the transmission apart.
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...sassembly.html
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member
1995sl1sohc is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1993 SL1

I've blown a few diff pins in the last couple years, finally sucked it up bit the bullet and pulled the trans apart took the differential to a shop and had both ends TIG welded all the way around and reinstalled it.
It is simple to disassemble and reassemble the trans, take the differential to like a performance shop where they do a lot of fabricating for race cars, and the like, for welding.
While it is out I would have it welded, beats the hell out of changing a tranny later, trust me I know this will be my 4th! (the third hasn't blown up yet, but I am trying to get it to let go so I can get rid of the automatic!)
1995sl1sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
quantumech
Advanced Member
quantumech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995sl1sohc View Post
I've blown a few diff pins in the last couple years, finally sucked it up bit the bullet and pulled the trans apart took the differential to a shop and had both ends TIG welded all the way around and reinstalled it.
It is simple to disassemble and reassemble the trans, take the differential to like a performance shop where they do a lot of fabricating for race cars, and the like, for welding.
While it is out I would have it welded, beats the hell out of changing a tranny later, trust me I know this will be my 4th! (the third hasn't blown up yet, but I am trying to get it to let go so I can get rid of the automatic!)
You know, you could just swap it and sell the auto
Sasha: 2000 SL1, Manual, cracked head Sept. 2014. Donated Dec. 2014

I learn from my experiences. If I screw up, I'm sorry.
quantumech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of light

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

To the OP
While the trans is out, you can check the diff. pin, remove the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and you will be able to rotate the diff carrier and see the ends of the diff pin. Easier when the trans is out, than when it's in the car.

If one end of the pin is projecting, that's bad.

At least this way you can know its condition.
97 SL. Bought 7/07, reluctantly sold Dec 2019
Burgman 400- indestructible beast
Sportster 883- fun bike
Cannondale 29er- daily driver
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member
1995sl1sohc is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1993 SL1

Now where's the fun in that!?! lol.
1995sl1sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
ezzieyguywuf

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll take MikeNW's suggestion and stop at that.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Careful inspection of all components and cleaning while out of the car is always a good idea. Unless you are a frustrated Formula - 1 driver wana-be the diff pin should be fine. Some just come out but there is really not much you can do about it. Welded ones come out also.