SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-02-2022, 12:41 PM   #41
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Thumbs Up Re: My 1994 Homecoming Edition "Restoration" Thread

Update
03/02/2022

I have my garage space setup; and I have been moving tools and other things into the space to begin getting the car moved. The car moving there, will probably happen in the next few weeks. I was able to secure a Saturn Car Cover, that someone from New York; sold on Ebay. She had it for her Homecoming Edition- which she doesn't own anymore.

I'm honestly beginning to think, that out of the few people that may still be here with Homecoming Editions- it seems that there may only be a handful of them left ?

I see so many of them now- that are just represented from Junkyards and Scrap Yards- that getting mine restored and taking it to Car Shows; will really make it a conversation starter among car show organizers- at least that is my own thought, and it has Historical Plates on it now too.

Once the weather gets warmer- I will post some pictures in this thread. I've been doing some research on interior carpeting and will also have to get the seats redone as well- Leather and Cloth combinations. So- lots of plans to get the car restored.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2022, 01:32 PM   #42
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: My 1994 Homecoming Edition "Restoration" Thread

A question for those that have restored any older cars...

Once you have crossed the Threshold, for parts availability drying up, especially on parts that were known to have been "Problem parts"- What is the process for still keeping the integrity of the car intact?

Case in point- with the first generation sunroofs on the S-Series cars; I really feel like I'm stuck. Sunroof Doctor, used to make first generation Sunroof replacement sets, and now it looks like they only do second/third generation Sunroof replacement kits. I've emailed them without any response yet. I have found another resource- but it looks like it is a manual open and close type of sunroof.

What would you do? I'm really trying to keep the entire car- an original setup, and would prefer to have a working electric sunroof.

Thoughts?
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
Old 03-07-2022, 09:07 PM   #43
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

You can find a replacement/repair/substitute/repro for any part, if cost is no concern. Otherwise, you will need to acquire the tools and skills to do a wide variety of custom DIY fabrication. How serious are you about keeping this "pristine"?

If you have a specific part that is damaged or worn, post pictures and good description of what is wrong; we may be able to think of reasonable ways to solve the problem.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:32 AM   #44
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
You can find a replacement/repair/substitute/repro for any part, if cost is no concern. Otherwise, you will need to acquire the tools and skills to do a wide variety of custom DIY fabrication. How serious are you about keeping this "pristine"?

If you have a specific part that is damaged or worn, post pictures and good description of what is wrong; we may be able to think of reasonable ways to solve the problem.
Billr- my main concern right now, is the first gen Sunroof. The plastic guides specifically. Granted- I know that the sunroof on this car worked when I bought it back in 2009. I know the sunroof drains are clogged- because I had the car sitting outside a few times- only to come back to a huge amount of water that had pooled behind the driver and passenger seat. So, I want to replace those guides with the aluminum guides I have read about- so that I still have a working sunroof. It has always been my plan- to keep everything on the car as close to an original design as possible. I really just want to get it fixed up- and looking nice, so I can take it to car shows. I've collected quite a mass of tools over 25 years. I don't necessarily want to do everything myself- and on some things, would rather deter to someone who has expertise in certain things. As for bolting those things back onto the car- I'll do that all day long on a weekend; just as long as I can drive this car some more, and enjoy watching the sun shine on the paint again.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
Old 03-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #45
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I, and others here, have considerable experience in design and fabrication; but I certainly don't have knowledge of every part of every machine manufactured! I can only help if you provide details of those guides. Pictures would be a good start.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #46
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
I, and others here, have considerable experience in design and fabrication; but I certainly don't have knowledge of every part of every machine manufactured! I can only help if you provide details of those guides. Pictures would be a good start.
Billr- Thank you for the reply.

I will work on getting some pictures posted in here. I will post some pictures from my Factory Service manuals, in relation to the Sunroof, and Sunroof guides. The main issue with the S-Series Sunroof guides in general- was that across all 3 generations of the car; the guides were made of plastic. When Sunroof Doctor manufactured replacement kits- they did a direct replica of the Sunroof guides, but made them out of aluminum so that they wouldn't break. If you look up threads on here- you will see that the plastic guides breaking, was a common issue. I think that Sunroof Doctor only makes 2nd or 3rd Gen Sunroof kits now. The issue that would arise, would be that when the sunroof guides broke- the sunroof would get stuck open and not able to retract back into the roof of the car. It would have been nice, if Saturn would have had the means to issues a TSB and replaced those guides with metal guides... but- here we are.

Honestly- it's one of the projects for the car- along with getting the interior completely redone. The engine is still in good condition- but in that regard, I will be replacing all of the moving parts under the hood and underneath with higher grade components...so I have some time on this car. Realistically, if I had to put a timeline on being able to get everything together- I realistically would like to be able to have the car on the road by the end of 2022, or Spring of 2023. I'm not in a heavy rush- but honestly with a lot of the life hardships I have been through over the past 5 years- this is a project that had to be put on the back burner. This has been my own project, and I haven't had anyone else express interest; as of yet, in helping me- so thank you for taking the time to reply in here. I am just making sure I am doing all of the proper research to make sure that everything will come together to get my car rolling again.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
Old 03-08-2022, 02:24 PM   #47
billr
Master Member

Can you point me to some old threads here with info on the roof/guides? That may save you from posting pix/details. The search function here sucks, I never find it of much use.

Have you contacted that vendor that used to sell them? They may have a few extras, or be willing to make another production run, or even share design details for you to source/make on your own.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:43 PM   #48
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Sounds like a part for the 3D printer.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #49
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Can you point me to some old threads here with info on the roof/guides? That may save you from posting pix/details. The search function here sucks, I never find it of much use.

Have you contacted that vendor that used to sell them? They may have a few extras, or be willing to make another production run, or even share design details for you to source/make on your own.
Billr- Here is a link to a GM Parts page, to get you a general idea. My understanding is that the guides- listed as Part #5 in the diagrams, are the guides that go bad.

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/v-1994.../body--sunroof

I really wanted to do some kind of preventative/permanent replacement for the guides- so when the car is restored, everything is in working order, and I'm good to go.

I've reached out to Sunroof Doctor but have not received a reply as of yet.

Here is a recent thread- with a few pictures of someone who has a first gen with the headliner removed that shows the various sunroof parts.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...nroof+S-Series
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
Old 03-08-2022, 04:33 PM   #50
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Sounds like a part for the 3D printer.
I don't have access to a 3D Printer- and honestly would prefer to have the metal guides.

I don't know if a 3D Printer would be be able to print parts that could withstand sunroof opening and closing? I don't know much about the strength of 3D Printing... ????
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
Old 03-08-2022, 06:13 PM   #51
billr
Master Member

Are those guides curved at all, or just two intersecting straight sections? If no curves, I could probably make a pair out of aluminum. I would need some samples, though, to get dimensions. In fact, I would need the samples, or much more detail, to confirm whether I could make them.

"3D printing" is a very broad term. Some processes yield rather flimsy/crude parts of plastic, some are used for production manufacture of jet-engine parts. Parts of far better quality than you would ever need could be made by "3D printing", but we are back to that "cost" issue...
Old 03-10-2022, 01:12 AM   #52
TomM96
Master Member
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

I was quite ignorant about 3-D printing until I found a good overview
in (IIRC) Machine Design.

Different machines have different capabilities; and same machines
vary capability depending on the MATERIAL they are charged with
(which determines material of output 'casting'.

Original devices used thermoset(?) plastics... later some geniis
figured how to 'print' metals, including stainless steel.

But while they can be set up do do a vast variety of jobs ...
generally productivity is not their strong point.

For example, during pandemic, some physicians used one to mfg
transparent face masks with provision for filtration elements.
It worked! But production rate was one per day.
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:20 AM   #53
TomM96
Master Member
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

@ Bryan

> I've reached out to Sunroof Doctor but have not received a reply as of yet.

Customer service Email is a crapshoot, often no response.

Try a phone number, too.

.................................................. ..................
I've never owned a car with a sunroof; was often jealous.

Until I discovered the issues with LEAKS!!
Mechanism needs maintenance to keep CLEAN.
Drain clogging is chronic issue.

I suspect they do OK away from vegetation and dust.
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:03 AM   #54
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
@ Bryan

> I've reached out to Sunroof Doctor but have not received a reply as of yet.

Customer service Email is a crapshoot, often no response.

Try a phone number, too.

.................................................. ..................
I've never owned a car with a sunroof; was often jealous.

Until I discovered the issues with LEAKS!!
Mechanism needs maintenance to keep CLEAN.
Drain clogging is chronic issue.

I suspect they do OK away from vegetation and dust.
I was finally able to contact them via phone yesterday. I'm going to be following back up with them...I Still need to do some research on the parts.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
Old 03-14-2022, 10:56 AM   #55
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
I was finally able to contact them via phone yesterday. I'm going to be following back up with them...I Still need to do some research on the parts.
you should ask if they'd be willing to openly release the designs for those parts, especially if they aren't willing to put them back in production. at least that way anyone with access to the appropriate machining equipment could make their own.
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
janus-2000 sohc2 ~190k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
rip mimas-wrecked 1996 sw1-trailer
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:09 AM   #56
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1995 SW2

Any update on the sunroof parts for first gens?
I have a 1994 with a functioning sunroof, but I would like to get some spare parts for it.
1994 Sl2 5spd: First Car, Stock: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1994 Sl1 5spd: Inherited, Stock: 494,500
1995 Sl2 5spd: Retired Daily, Not Stock: 196,000
1995 SW2 4spd: Daily, Stock: 104,000
cgg17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #57
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Does anyone have some old, bad parts we could borrow? My kid's hobby is modeling and CNC. He just bought a 3D scanner and is playing with it.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Old 06-18-2022, 01:03 PM   #58
billr
Master Member

Ask even for good parts, you will return them undamaged after modeling, correct?

This user is offering to "reverse engineer" this hard-to-find part for repro; anybody that is really concerned about having these part available in the future should jump on this offer; even paying shipping cost for the sample parts both ways...
Old 06-18-2022, 02:49 PM   #59
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Ask even for good parts, you will return them undamaged after modeling, correct?

This user is offering to "reverse engineer" this hard-to-find part for repro; anybody that is really concerned about having these part available in the future should jump on this offer; even paying shipping cost for the sample parts both ways...
Bill,
That is correct. I'd return the parts. We have no Gen 1 cars or sunroofs. Could be a way for my kid to earn some money to pay for the machine upgrade he wants. No promises but could be a source of supply for these parts.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Old 06-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #60
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1995 SW2

I would offer to send some parts in, but I do not want to touch this sunroof until it stops working.
Perhaps the JY has one I can get into.
1994 Sl2 5spd: First Car, Stock: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1994 Sl1 5spd: Inherited, Stock: 494,500
1995 Sl2 5spd: Retired Daily, Not Stock: 196,000
1995 SW2 4spd: Daily, Stock: 104,000
cgg17 is online now   Reply With Quote