SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
amajn
amajn is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default Help instrument cluster!!!

OK long story short my bulb that lights up my mileage blew so i removed the cluster and took the bulb out i noticed i had a bulb for traction (i dont have a traction button on my model so i figured it was basically a spare and took it out placed it in my mileage spot. at the same time i removed the needles and was going to paint them but decided not to so i replaced them.I took pics of the spots they where in and set them accordingly i instantly noticed that the gas and temp would go all the way down id move them back they would go down way past empty/cold.

So i figured that once i put it back on the car it would work fine then i put it back on car.figuring everything was fine started the car up and now the gas and temp both work fine but they are reading way off my gas reading before i took them of was full now it was reading a quarter tank and my temp was way down and rose to just under cold. mileage light works fantastic but now how do i get the correct readings they work just not in the right spot!~!!!!!!

does it have to due with the electrical resistences like example when i removed the bulb labled traction did it need to be there for the cureent setup to work?
amajn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
amajn

1999 SL1
Default Re: Help instrument cluster!!!

Any insight anyone!???!???!??
Old 03-31-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'll take a guess; when you removed the needles the pin that rotates the needles doesn't have a home position and freely rotates against a wound spring. Merely pushing the needle back onto the pin may have rotated the pin enough to make a 'new' zero position. If this is the case then removing the needle (as in pulling straight it off) and carefully pushing it straight back on should place the needle approximately back where its supposed to be. If you attempt this repair one too many times you may permanently damage the movement and have no recourse but to replace the instrument panel.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
amajn

1999 SL1

So removing then replacing the needles again might self adjust? im still confused but i see what your saying thx
Old 03-31-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Carefuly remove the needles. Install the cluster enough to plug it in. Start the car. Shut it off and reinstall the needles as close to their normal engine off position as you can remember. Repeat as needed or until you ruin the gauges. Then get a used cluster and install your speedo head into it.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:15 AM   #6
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had the same problem. Remove the face, but leave the cluster plugged in. When your engine is stone cold, start it up. Pull the needle straight off. Now, push it straight on at the "C" position. This is how I calibrated it for temp. For fuel, I waited until my gas light came on, then did the same and put it on "E". I also noticed I had a bulb in there for the trunk open indicator. Is this supposed to light up when the trunk is open?
If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:38 AM   #7
amajn

1999 SL1

thx for the replys did what you guys said and it work perfect! i also have trunk indicator that has never lit up. wierd
Old 04-01-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amajn View Post
thx for the replys did what you guys said and it work perfect! i also have trunk indicator that has never lit up. wierd
There is a bulb there, unlike the indicator for park (only applicable on auto) where there is no bulb. I suppose I could swap the bulbs around and see if the bulb is good, or if the spot doesn't work.
If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote