SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
jimbo1490
jimbo1490 is on a distinguished road

Default Help! Changed fuel pump, Now my fuel gauge is stuck on full!

Hey guys, new to the forum and relatively new to Saturn ownership. Bought My '95 SL as a cheap 'beater' after selling my more valuable car to pay down bills

My fuel pump died on Wednesday and I just got around to changing it today. Took 4 hours, about an hour of which was to figure out how to do it without jacking the car way up (yes it can be done)

So I get it together, pump runs fine, engine starts right up but I notice the fuel gauge is now stuck on 'F'. What did I do wrong? Is it possible to put the sender in backwards so that the float impinges the tank? Or do I just need to re-install the pump ass'y being sure that the float is 'dangling' free?

Any help appreciated!

Jimbo
jimbo1490 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Help! Changed fuel pump, Now my fuel gauge is stuck on full!

Back at the electrical connector you measure the resistance of the sensor in the tank. measure between B and C, blk/wht and purple. Full tank is 18 ohms, 3/4 is 68 ohms, 1/2 is 113 ohms, 1/4 is 163 ohms, 1/8 is 195 ohms, and fumes is 677 ohms. You could insert a 120 ohm resistor in the connector towards the gauge and then the gauge should read just below 1/2. This would tell you the gauge was working. The resistance reading of the sensor will tell you if the float is hung up. You might have pinched a wire also.

Did you change just the pump or the entire unit? Was it new or a J/Y special?
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
jimbo1490

The pump was new, so I had to assemble it into the plastic 'cage'. But everything seemed to only go together 'one way', and I was very careful with alignment, wire routing etc. The sensor wires were not disturbed, AFAIK.

Thanks for the checking info, I'll use it tomorrow before I dive in again.

Jimbo
Old 06-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Thats the plan, find out where its broke. there are some words in the FSM about installation so as to not screw up the float. i will dig them out in the AM as thy might be critical. The resistance will tell you what is going on though.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
jimbo1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Thats the plan, find out where its broke. there are some words in the FSM about installation so as to not screw up the float. i will dig them out in the AM as thy might be critical. The resistance will tell you what is going on though.

I've had enough car work for one weekend; decided to put it off till next weekend. Now I just have to keep from running out of gas this week

Jimbo
Old 06-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I can relate to that....