Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-23-2022, 08:23 AM   #21
I-4
I-4 will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
Default Re: No cold air

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Nearly all of them. Reman'd compressors and new Chinese compressors rarely work in my experience. Either they leak or they don't produce good pressure. Even seen then blow apart throwing bearings everywhere.

I've had so-so experience with Four Seasons. ACDelco is a good choice but will cost you more than the value of the car. I have occasionally had good results at pick-n-pull but the economics wouldn't work if you're paying someone labor.

BTW: The four seasons compressor as the pressure line clocked wrong so the line will run across the top of the radiator. No issue until you want to change the radiator.

-Robert
I have a Four Seasons on order from Rock Auto. With any luck it will be here before next weekend. I had no idea that the line would be clocked wrong! Ugh.
I-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #22
dtuuri
dtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of light

1991 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-4 View Post
I have a Four Seasons on order from Rock Auto. With any luck it will be here before next weekend. I had no idea that the line would be clocked wrong! Ugh.
I got my overhauled compressor (not from Rock Auto) a few days ago and expected to see some flat green seals included. They're blue o-rings (2 ea). It was shipped in a Four Seasons box, but has no nameplate, just a PN and SN. The instructions included don't say anything about lube for the seals, do yours? OldNuc wrote that the suction seal should be dry. And green.
dtuuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:00 AM   #23
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

There really is no standard color-code for O-rings, you will just have to trust the vendor. I would lube any kind of seal, except one for oxygen-service.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:43 AM   #24
dtuuri
dtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of lightdtuuri is a glorious beacon of light

1991 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
There really is no standard color-code for O-rings, you will just have to trust the vendor. I would lube any kind of seal, except one for oxygen-service.
Is this just a different opinion, then, or a different seal, like maybe something internal? Or for the electrical plug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If they are not sealed with mineral oil then they leak, badly. The slim line seal at the compressor suction is NOT to be lubricated though.
dtuuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:03 AM   #25
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Just a different opinion. OldNuc was not correct all the time; neither am I (or anybody else). You gotta use common sense and decide for yourself sometimes.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #26
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuuri View Post
I got my overhauled compressor (not from Rock Auto) a few days ago and expected to see some flat green seals included. They're blue o-rings (2 ea). It was shipped in a Four Seasons box, but has no nameplate, just a PN and SN. The instructions included don't say anything about lube for the seals, do yours? OldNuc wrote that the suction seal should be dry. And green.
O-rings aren't flat when new but can become oval shaped after years of being held captive in fittings. Black neoprene O-rings were used in r12 days, replaced with better green ones (HNBR) for r134a systems and now a blue one with silicone. If you search for O-rings and what they're made of, you'll open a can of worms in information. Suffice it to say that your blue O-rings are the latest improvements but I question their use for the compressor fittings. I'd cal or email Four Seasons for clarification. Flat seals are assembled from two pieces; an outer flat washer with a center (oval shaped profile) O-ring (black) and used on compressor fittings, applied dry. The washer provides spacing between fittings while the inner O-ring seals against vacuum/pressure changes.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote