saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 03-16-2022, 06:24 PM   #1
Loopas
Loopas is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default New catalytic converter, getting P0420

So a while back I had the flex tubing on my stock catcon rust through. I ordered a non California emissions aftermarket catcon and now I am getting P0420. I replaced both O2 sensor and I'm still getting the code after resetting the computer multiple times.

I'm assuming this is being caused by the aftermarket catcon. Is there any way I can fix this besides replacing with a stock part? Is it possible to reprogram the ECM for the new converter?
Loopas is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: New catalytic converter, getting P0420

If the aftermarket catcon isn't meeting Ion emissions for catcon efficiency, try searching info on spark plug extenders for the downstream O2 sensor. This may work.

Most, if not all EFI engine computers aren't open to altering emissions programming. No one has cracked programming in Saturns. An extreme example of altering programming was the VW scandal of Dieselgate where Bosch (inadvertently) gave permission to VW to 'test' emissions in diesel engines by allowing software to turn off emissions controls under agreement that this was for testing purposes only. VW decided to modify (illegally) programming where emissions were controlled during inspection then turned off while driving. A lab studying diesel emissions discovered by accident, driving revealed large amounts of diesel pollution above regulations yet under control when tested in a service bay as expected in normal emissions inspection. The anomaly exposed VWs illegal mod to turn off emissions programming leading to VW admitting it in court, agreeing to buy back all affected vehicles and fined. Around $60 billion to correct illegal programming modifications.

A popular tv program of diesel pickup trucks being modified illegally by deleting parts and meddling with the engine computer resulted in a very large fine when the EPA became aware of illegal mods affecting diesel emissions.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:35 PM   #3
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1
Default Re: New catalytic converter, getting P0420

I'm surprised that somebody is selling converters that perform so poorly that they throw codes brand new. But it sure sounds like you got one. I wouldn't be shy about checking with tech support (if there is such) from the vendor.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote