SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
cody.a.mumford
cody.a.mumford is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default I love my saturn but

I'm freaking sick of her. This year I've had to replace my battery, battery cables, starter, alternator, and ECTS. AND she is still not turning over/ starting. Could it be the CPS or the fuel pump? I'm a college student/delivery driver and I cannot deal with an unreliable car anymore. If you have any ideas post em. I'll be very appreciative.
cody.a.mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default Re: I love my saturn but

How's the fuel pressure? Fuel filter been replaced?
Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

"Not turning over" - so when it doesn't start, you mean it doesn't do anything when you turn the key? Do you hear a click anywhere, under the dash or under the hood? Automatic or manual transmission?

BTW, your member name consists of the names of two Detroit high schools....
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
cody.a.mumford

1998 SL1

the solenoid is definitely engaging, but that baby won't turn over!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
cody.a.mumford

1998 SL1

She will turn on, lights come on and so does the radio. The engine however will not turn over and lemme back out of the freaking parking lot. I turn the key in the ignition to start it, but the solenoid just keeps clicking.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If it's not turning over (spinning the engine) then it can't be anything outside of a battery, cable or starter problem unless the engine is seized. Easiest to try fixing is corroded battery cables, both on the battery ends and on the body/not-battery ends.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
cody.a.mumford

1998 SL1

I didn't replace my positive battery cable... I looked inside the battery part to see if it was corroded and it wasn't. That starter is brand new too. How do I tell if the engine is seized? The battery has been tested like every week too.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

Take a test light, and see if you're getting power to your solenoid on the starter. If you are, tap the solenoid/starter and then try to start. There is a chance your starter could be bad. If you hear a clicking noise on the starter, don't go chasing parts. Find out why.
96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody.a.mumford View Post
I didn't replace my positive battery cable... I looked inside the battery part to see if it was corroded and it wasn't. That starter is brand new too. How do I tell if the engine is seized? The battery has been tested like every week too.
Before going for test equipment do this, turn on headlights before attempting to start car and be sure you can see the reflection of the lights in something or get an observer. Now crank engine and watch the lights, do they get dim or go out? If the starter actually cranks the engine that is not what you are looking for you want to be checking the headlights when it does not crank but the solenoid clicks. This could be a bad positive or ground cable but it is 1 or the other or both as long as the starter is good.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote