SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 04-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
joe19blo
joe19blo is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default 2006 Saturn Vue Squeaking noise... Need Help

Hi everyone, i need your help. I have a 2006 Saturn vue awd 3.5. And for almost à year it does à squeaking noise that anybody can't figure it out. It's start when i reach 10 mph. And sometime it's stop making noise...I bring it to the dealer but when he lift the car in the air it does't make the sound. Also when i steer left right at cruising speed the sound goes on and off... I change te front brake disk and pad and front left wheel bearing.

Thanks in advence and sorry for the bad english i'm french
joe19blo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 2006 Saturn Vue Squeaking noise... Need Help

Possibly the backing plates on the front wheels, there are small tabs on the bottom of the plates that rub on the brake rotors when rust builds on the rotors
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Jingle bells

Refer to above link, this can also be a squealing/groaning sound at lower speeds.
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someclown View Post
Possibly the backing plates on the front wheels, there are small tabs on the bottom of the plates that rub on the brake rotors when rust builds on the rotors
Weren't they changed by '06? This is my Backing Plate/Splash Guard on my '07 . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bkg Pl.JPG (116.4 KB, 63 views)
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Weren't they changed by '06? This is my Backing Plate/Splash Guard on my '07 . . .
Why so clean??

Better yet my initial link with pics of my '06... instructed mechanic to remove or bend the tabs back when the brakes were done, unsure if he did.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152677

Chazberry, in this thread you posted the same view as me... did they redesign this part?

Last edited by Bismarck318; 04-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
almies
almies is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have a recording of this sound?

I have a chirping, not a jingle, that comes and goes. I had it looked at my mechanic. They blamed a stuck right front caliper, had it replaced and the sound was gone for several days after they changed it, but now it's back, then it goes, then its back... you get the idea.

It will chirp above 15 mph and seem to stop after 20 minutes of driving. I let the car rest, cool down, when at work and then it may come back on the ride home.
almies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
Bismarck318

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Recording?? how would you accomplish that feat?.. it was hard enough to pinpoint this.

This seems to start after humidity or rain, giving time for a crown of rust & scale to build up in that area. Mine went from a squeal @ low speed to a jangle & true would disappear after driving most of the time.... then like you say above to return after it cools down.

I haven't heard this since my brake job last September.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Bismarck318

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
I haven't heard this since my brake job last September.
Knock on wood?

Well, I guess I should just keep my trap shut! ...

On my way home the squeaking & jangling is back, after high humidity & rain for most of yesterday apparently a coat of scale formed.. jangled all they way home, now this time it sounds like it's coming from the passengers side which will be a bit more akward for me to attend to.

Another brake job??
Old 04-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
almies

Quote:
Knock on wood?

Well, I guess I should just keep my trap shut! ...

On my way home the squeaking & jangling is back, after high humidity & rain for most of yesterday apparently a coat of scale formed.. jangled all they way home, now this time it sounds like it's coming from the passengers side which will be a bit more akward for me to attend to.

Another brake job??
Mine has just gotten worse. It went from a chirping today so a sound of rubbing/grinding when i drive, it ultimately goes away after 15 minutes, but comes back. It's rainy here and will be for the next week or so... joy.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Why so clean??
It got a little beat up when I did battle removing the Hub, so I sprayed the thing before putting it back.

Quote:
Chazberry, in this thread you posted the same view as me... did they redesign this part?
Yes - I'm not sure when, but I think the change made it harder to get the Hub out. See this thread . . .

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...85#post1977385
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03-07 Rev.jpg (157 Bytes, 161 views)
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
almies

I was able to get a recording of my squeaking in the Vue coming from the front.

The first is going at about 30mph, the second going at about 55mph.

Vue Squeak 1

Vue Squeak 2

Please tell me how this compares to your squeaking/jangling and if it's the same sound or what it might be.

EDIT: I can hear the squeaking much better through my phone that I can with the computer speakers, but its there.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
Bismarck318

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Couldn't get the file... said it was loading for about 4 minutes, ads popup wouldn't load either.. then outdated software warning.

Where I was really able pinpoint it was at very low speeds... < 10mph, at high speeds it at times goes away (but not always)... there is always plenty of cabin noise to drown it out too.

That in Apple Ipod format??
Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
almies

Quote:
Couldn't get the file... said it was loading for about 4 minutes, ads popup wouldn't load either.. then outdated software warning.

Where I was really able pinpoint it was at very low speeds... < 10mph, at high speeds it at times goes away (but not always)... there is always plenty of cabin noise to drown it out too.

That in Apple Ipod format??
Yeah, from my iPhone. I will see if I can convert to mp3.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #14
BaustinB
BaustinB is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

My VUE is making the same noise. Can't find it either. I've replaced the front rotors and pads, rear drums and shoes, the entire drive shaft and the noise persists....

Your recordings sound just like my VUE. (2006 AWD V6, 97,000 miles) I've had the car since new with 6 miles on the odometer.

I don't think it is the wheel bearings as I've had several go bad and they don't make the squeaking sound.

Thoughts anyone?
BaustinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaustinB View Post
My VUE is making the same noise. Can't find it either. I've replaced the front rotors and pads, rear drums and shoes, the entire drive shaft and the noise persists....

Your recordings sound just like my VUE. (2006 AWD V6, 97,000 miles) I've had the car since new with 6 miles on the odometer.

I don't think it is the wheel bearings as I've had several go bad and they don't make the squeaking sound.

Thoughts anyone?
I'm pretty certain this is your problem...
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=15

I had it happen on my 06 and I managed to track it down to the circled item in the link picture above.
Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #16
BaustinB

2006 VUE 3.5L

Unfortunately, that is not it... My VUE doesn't have those tabs. I have a heat shield/splash guard that covers most of the disk from the inside looking out. It appears from your picture that you don't have this. I would remove it completely except that it is mounted behind the bearing assembly and it has an extension which hold the ABS sensor wire.

Any other idea?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #17
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Baustin,
First suggestion seeing as you are AWD, I have three words for you.... CENTER SUPPORT BEARING!!! I chased a noise for over a year after being told by everyone that my center support was good... turned out that was the issue. IF... and that is a big IF... it is not the Center Support Bearing, then the only other idea I have is the intermediate shaft bearing.... and that is a chore to replace as you have to rebuild the assembly with a new bearing and the old shaft and support bracket... I know... I was the one who figured it all out.... and it turned out it was the Center Support Bearing. I do have a full write up on the site for the removal, rebuild, and reinstallation, or I can email it to you if you need it.

John
aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #18
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

And testing if it is the center support bearing is quick and easy. The drive shaft can be dropped by removing the 12 bolts (6 on the front CV joint, 2 on the center support bearing and 4 on the rear U-joint to the RDM). Lift the front of the Vue off the ground and block the rear wheels. This will allow you to put the Vue in netual so you can rotate the driveshaft to get the bolts on the back of the shaft.

Always use a jack-stand when you are under your car.

After you remove the drive shaft, you will have a FWD Vue. If the noise goes away, I'd be willing to say that there is a 99% probablility it is the center support bearing. The noise from mine would travel from under the driver's seat to the back of the Vue, but in the end it was that bearing.

Pictures here, if it helps: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194966
2001 L-200 2.2l
DOB: 05/08/01 Owned: 07/01/07 to 10/30/18

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 145,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

2019 GMC Acadia (aka Saturn Outlook)
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #19
BaustinB

2006 VUE 3.5L

Still investigating. I will check the drive shaft again, BUT I did have a problem about a year ago with the center support bearing and just replaced the whole drive shaft with a Shaftmasters driveshaft. shaftmasters dot com

Dumb name, good quality. I didn't mind paying the $660 for the driveshaft as I plan to keep the car for a long time. Because of this, I don't think this is the problem...
Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #20
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Baustin,
I would still drop the rear drive shaft. If it is still making noise... go to the intermediate shaft bearing. I did a full write up with pics, tools, and parts list a few months back. If you have any questions, just message me. I can also email you entire write up if you want me to..

John
aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote