SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
coolbikeguy
coolbikeguy is on a distinguished road

Default Bad cps ???

from what i have been reading most guys with a bad cps experience a stalling issue .... i have the opposite. mine at times will decide to run at a HIGH idle ... the worst so far being at 3200 rpm. usually its around 2200 and f you let it go long enough it seems to slowly come back down to normal ( not always ) sometimes i have to put it in gear and slowly let the clutch out with brake on to slow the rpm before shut down. ... it also has a miss while driving if you try to maintain a steady speed example.. 4th gear at 2200 rpm. if you lay on the gas though and shift through the gears you can feel the miss untill you back of the throttle. it did set the check engine light and the code i got from the shop is p 1635.after goggling the code i found wolfmans post and i replaced the coils and the DIS off an engine that i know were good and i still have all the same issues ... so .... CPS is next ?? like i said .. i only ask because my situation differs from most as mine isnt a stall issue. thanks a ton guys, scott
1998 sw2 5spd
coolbikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: Bad cps ???

I'm no expert, but from what I've read, the CPS is good if the car is running. It could be that you're not getting proper fuel pressure. Have you tried cleaning the throttle body and/or the EGR? What about the fuel filter? Could also be your cat may be on its last legs. Others will chime in.
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 11/12/20: 78,895 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
dbetz
dbetz will become famous soon enoughdbetz will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2
2000 SL

I believe a faulty TPS has a symptom of a high idle. If I remember right, high idle running; turn the car off, if goes away, then the TPS is (likely) at fault.

Otherwise, is the IACV dirty? I don't remember if that gives a high or low idle.
Thanks! David

1999 SW2 Auto 150k miles; Dark Plum Metallic
2000 SL 5-Speed 214k miles; Silver
dbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Vacuum leak is another major suspect. CPS should not be on the suspect list.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
coolbikeguy

where all should i be looking for a vacuum leak?? doesnt seem to be to many vac lines on these cars
1998 sw2 5spd
Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A vacuum leak would be anywhere air is ingested; the intake manifold that attaches to the engine block has a gasket, throttle body has a gasket, each injector has an O-ring, the pcv valve feeding crankcase gases through a vacuum line to the pcv valve and into the intake manifold, and the large vacuum line supplying vacuum to the power brake vacuum boost unit. A water spray applied to every area that uses a gasket or hose will change the idle speed almost immediately when water is sucked into the vacuum leak.

Don't rule out the tps as another source of a runaway throttle. If the idle returns on restarting, replace the tps.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
coolbikeguy

thats the thing ...... it doesnt alway return to normal.... but this is not a consistent prob. i can run for a couple days and all is fine then all of a sudden it starts .... thats why i wonder if its a vac leak ?? wouldnt a vac leak be there all the time ??
1998 sw2 5spd
Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbikeguy View Post
thats the thing ...... it doesnt alway return to normal.... but this is not a consistent prob.
Return to normal IF you turn the car off and then immediately back on, then it is the TPS. Might STILL be a problem with the TPS. I'd start with some cleaning first - cleaning takes some time but is very cheap. Though a TPS isn't too bad either.
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 11/12/20: 78,895 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Second guessing doesn't get anywhere. Part of maintenance is 'hands-on' work that gives a person experience no text book will ever teach. Text books are for the basics. Hands-on fills in the gaps that teaches a person what books cannot reveal until experiencing certain failures. A vacuum leak cannot be discussed unless you wish to spend endless time discussing all the variables involved. An intermittent vacuum leak caused by a vibrating, rocking engine in its original mounts coupled with time and uv exposure can cause dry rot in hoses whether for cooling systems or vacuum. Dry rot doesn't reveal a cracked rubber hose until you put your hands on one and bend/twist/flex one to deliberately find an old dried out hose. Looking at one isn't hands-on. Feeling one is. Seeing a hose is not the same as squeezing one to reveal a dried out cracked one that leaks coolant or vacuum when engine vibrations causes flexing. Since you're not under the hood while driving you cannot see how much the engine flexes in its mounts - the reason hoses are used in certain lengths. The lengths allows flexing. Flexing works only so long. Ultraviolet exposure ages rubber. Dry rot creeps in. Hoses crack. Look at any tire sidewall and those fine cracks in the sidewall are caused by uv exposure over a long period of time.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
coolbikeguy

heres what im going to do .... the engine is a recent transplant engine ( different post on here )... i had to use my fuel rail and throttle body to make all the lines and wires work. i went and bought a new TB gasket so ill ill remove and clean the TB again ( did this before install in the car ) this time ill do it like in richpins video because i also bout a new TPS ... 35 bux that i will install. then im going to remove and clean the EGR valve...also bought a new gasket .. are you sitting down ?? 17 BUX .... its the new style gasket with the screen in it...afer the EGR is cleaned and re-installed im gonna lay a hand on every hose that looks like a vac line that i can find ,,,,, will report back later ..... thanks guys, scott
1998 sw2 5spd
Old 01-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
coolbikeguy

ok... i know its been a while but i thought id post my results for others ..... i ended up doing a few thing all at once since i was already taking things apart. i started by cleaning the TB again and it was not dirty at all really so i i re-installed TB with a new gasket and moved on to cleaning the EGR ... it was filthy. after a thorough cleaning i re-installed with a new gasket ... the replaced the TPS... started the car and it sill had a high idle but not as bad. i had read that you may have to drive a few miles for things to get back to normal. i had some running around to do and after about 40 miles the little sw is running great ... :-) i think it was the TPS scott
1998 sw2 5spd