SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 06-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
John,
John, is on a distinguished road

Default Caliper slide pins...

Just had a issue with them, how often should/have been replaced? Iv'e done two brake jobs on it and greased them both times. It just turned 54 k miles and when I took the pins out to grease them I could not get that one with the rubber sleeve back in. I had to cut a bit off of it cause I chewed up one end of it.
John, is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Caliper slide pins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John, View Post
Just had a issue with them, how often should/have been replaced? Iv'e done two brake jobs on it and greased them both times. It just turned 54 k miles and when I took the pins out to grease them I could not get that one with the rubber sleeve back in. I had to cut a bit off of it cause I chewed up one end of it.
GM says to replace bushings each time the lower caliper pin is removed.

I previously posted a noisy brake service bulletin which included data for the bushing.

See post # 2 of the following thread (rules prevent repost so thread-hopping is part of doing business ):

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157484
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The bottom caliper pin with the bushing is always twice as hard to remove as the top one without the bushing. My VUE has 38k and I already replaced both the pins once. They had visible wear marks on both of them despite always being well lubed during every brake/rotor job...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
John,

Yep, thats was the issue we were having. Got a new set of pins , bushings and the rubber jackets over the head of the pins. What kind of grease is best for that?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
talonsaab
talonsaab is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Best grease is the silcone based brake lube. It looks whitish/clear.
talonsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
John,

Finished it today, what a head ache...put to much on it wont slide in, don't put enough on I think its not enough...sprayed a bit of WD 40 on the pin the second time and stuck it in and out a few times and wiped the WD 40 off 2 to 3 times. This is the third time since we've owned it that I had to work on the brakes, the wife is so brake happy.....

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
John,

Had that same problem again, bottom sliders were frozen solid... Is there some reason why the bottom one(s) keeps drying out? Had anyone installed 2 top slide pins in the bottom 2 holes.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Had that same problem again, bottom sliders were frozen solid... Is there some reason why the bottom one(s) keeps drying out? Had anyone installed 2 top slide pins in the bottom 2 holes.
I have. Actually if you buy the NAPA hardware that is exactly what it is and they work FAR more reliably than the OEM with the rubber bushing. Though they ARE a tiny bit noisy not nearly as bad as the stupid rubber bushed ones after some miles. And IMHO more reliable.
2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
John,

I went up and down the sites on that stupid bushing. I asked on the Mustang site I'm on if anyone had swapped out the two lower pins for 2 upper pins? I have the same set up on my 07 Ranger and just changed those bushing this year with over 55,000 miles on it. The Vue just turned 53,000 and this will be it 3rd set. I'll try the NAPA brand this time. I went on the AutoZone site and that lookks just like the set I got from the local part store in August. Dorman showed the same type too.

Thanks...
Old 12-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Are you using high-temp brake lube on slide pin?

Does the operator tend to ride the brakes?

I take care of four Vue's - two with over 100,000 miles and I've not run into a caliper slide-pin problem.

Many older Vue's report failing (constricting) brake hoses - tend to keep pressure on caliper to build and retain too much heat. Yours shouldn't be a candidate for that sort of problem.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Maybe because you washed out the grease w/ WD40mentioned in a previous post.

AS far as installing the top pins in the bottom holes- why? THey go where they go- the bushed pin is on the bottom.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Last edited by billysvue; 12-26-2013 at 01:13 AM.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonsaab View Post
Best grease is the silcone based brake lube. It looks whitish/clear.
I've been working off of a tube labeled brake lube/ high temp but it's blackish- I think MOlysulphide based.

Wahtever it is it has served me well on quite a number of brake jobs: slide pins, brakepad "ears" and the corresponding area where they slide.

When I changed my pads today, the slide pins were moving freely. I pulled them, cleaned the bore they slide in with a bunch of Q-tips, then regreased the pinsand bores. THe bushing on the lower pin looked ok- it can wait till next time.

YOu definately dont want to put a big glob of grease in the holes the pins goes into. A little goes a long way, but in the SAlt BElt, I think as much as can go in should go in.

There is some ability to squeeze out extra, but it is hard to do, so maybe digging out a few globs with a Q-tip will be neededif overgreased.

No WD40.
'17 Suby Forester

Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
jsevinsk
Advanced Member
jsevinsk is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
I have. Actually if you buy the NAPA hardware that is exactly what it is and they work FAR more reliably than the OEM with the rubber bushing. Though they ARE a tiny bit noisy not nearly as bad as the stupid rubber bushed ones after some miles. And IMHO more reliable.
I too have am seeing a problem with my bottom pins not sliding as well as the top, even though all pins are lubed well. Is it the bushing that's causing it to not slide as well? What would happen if the bushing was removed?
jsevinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsevinsk View Post
I too have am seeing a problem with my bottom pins not sliding as well as the top, even though all pins are lubed well. Is it the bushing that's causing it to not slide as well? What would happen if the bushing was removed?
Maybe the bore is worn out/corroded . BUshing is there for a reason.

SOmwheere ,I remember a thread regarding replacement caliper slide pins from O'Reilly that are all solid and supposedly gets rid of the chatter/stutter problem under light braking.

IF the bore the pins slide is is worn ,all bets are off.
'17 Suby Forester