SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
talonsaab
talonsaab is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default A/C only works on fan speed 1 & 2

My 2004 Vue AWD 3.5 V6 A/C will only work in fan speed 1 & 2. When I place the fan switch to 3 or 4 the A/C light goes out and the A/C shut offs but the fan works at higher speed like normal. Recently I have also had an issue with the A/C button that when you pressed it the light would not go on or would go on then quickly go off or only work in fan speed 3 or 4. Its messed up. Is it the hvac module (where the switches are) or some other Hvac control device that I should look at? Thanks
talonsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: A/C only works on fan speed 1 & 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonsaab View Post
My 2004 Vue AWD 3.5 V6 A/C will only work in fan speed 1 & 2. When I place the fan switch to 3 or 4 the A/C light goes out and the A/C shut offs but the fan works at higher speed like normal. Recently I have also had an issue with the A/C button that when you pressed it the light would not go on or would go on then quickly go off or only work in fan speed 3 or 4. Its messed up. Is it the hvac module (where the switches are) or some other Hvac control device that I should look at? Thanks
This type malfunction can be caused by the blower motor resistor network. The network is part of circuit board and is physically mounted on (in) blower motor housing. The blower motor is located behind the glove box.

The card used to cost around $50 US and is a DIY swap-out.

Please repost if you'd like assistance tracking a replacement down and if you'd like procedures to change.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
talonsaab

2004 VUE 3.5L

Thank you. Yes I would appreciate information on purchasing and replacing the blower motor resistor circuit board. Is this a GM dealer part only or available aftermarket?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonsaab View Post
Thank you. Yes I would appreciate information on purchasing and replacing the blower motor resistor circuit board. Is this a GM dealer part only or available aftermarket?
You can view the part at RockAuto.com website - using path - Saturn - 2004 - Vue - 3.5L - Heat & AC - Blower Motor Resistor. The website depicts two vendors - AC Delco for $36 and Airtex for $81.

Question is - can you order direct from these folks at US prices or is there some sort of customs fees. IDK.

See attached extract to locate and access the blower motor - I believe the resistor card has a detachable connector and is held in place with two screws.

I'll email complete instructions if you PM an address.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blwr Mtr Access.pdf (86.1 KB, 183 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

IIRC, if we Canadian's order from RA I beilive the final price they provide at checkout includes the shipping and all duties/taxes. I don't recall having to pay any extra duties on my last RA order.
Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
talonsaab

2004 VUE 3.5L

I replaced the blower resistor and its now working fine. I paid $37 at RockAuto plus shipping for an orginal ACDelco part. The local dealer wanted $85 for the same part. I bought of bunch of other stuff on the same order so the shipping cost was relatively small per part. Its located under/behind the access panel (2 screws) under the glove box/dash. Its a pain to replace since the 2 8mm bolts for the resistor are right up against the firewall and access is tight. One of the bolts is directly above and tight against a bump in the rubber dash mat but its somewhat fexible if you push hard. You need a small closed end wrench, ratcheting would be sweet. Just need to be patient and a bit of a contortionist. I removed the part before removing the harness since the harness needed a little bit of prying.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
cola
Advanced Member
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Thanks for posting the update! I need to fix this on my Vue soon and I didn't know what brand to go with. As soon as I get some time I will be doing this.
2009 Aura XE 2.4-----SOLD
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
cajunsand1
cajunsand1 is on a distinguished road

I have a simular problem with my 2001 L300. All fan speeds work fine but the AC and/or recirculate only work as long as I hold the button in. As soon as I release the button the light goes off and AC stops working. Could this be the blower motor resistor also or will it be the control module itself. Again as long as I hold in the buttons everything is working fine. And all four fan speeds are working.
cajunsand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunsand1 View Post
I have a simular problem with my 2001 L300. All fan speeds work fine but the AC and/or recirculate only work as long as I hold the button in. As soon as I release the button the light goes off and AC stops working. Could this be the blower motor resistor also or will it be the control module itself. Again as long as I hold in the buttons everything is working fine. And all four fan speeds are working.
I glanced thru L300 AC schematics ... it appears the recirc should operate with blower switch on or off so this could eliminate the blower resistor circuit.

Which air delivery option is selected when you must hold recirc button down for light to stay on?

Do you have 2.2 or 3.0? There appear to be drawing differences.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
cajunsand1

2.2 and any fan speed selected. Not sure about resurculate on this L300. I still have a SL1 but both the AC and the recirculate buttons are the kind that stay depressed when you push them. The ones on the L300 actually return to the original position after releasing even when working properly.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
2.2 and any fan speed selected. Not sure about resurculate on this L300. I still have a SL1 but both the AC and the recirculate buttons are the kind that stay depressed when you push them. The ones on the L300 actually return to the original position after releasing even when working properly.
I'm not going to be much help.

The HVAC schematics don't show inner workings of the HVAC controller. It appears since AC and RECIRC functions operate when the switches are pressed and held - the external voltage and ground paths are OK.

Is it possible the RECIRC circuit won't stay latched because you're trying with air delivery set to an incompatible mode. For example - RECIRC should not activate when mode switch is set to either defrost or heater/defrost.

I don't see any connection between the AC switch circuit and the blower motor resistor card. Power for the AC switch is provided by the blower motor speed switch but not when switch is set to OFF.

If the AC light will not stay ON - and blower switch is set to any position other than OFF - you could have a HVAC controller problem or perhaps a refrigerant pressure problem.

The normal path (my best guess) is if AC circuit in HVAC controller latches a voltage is sent to the BCM. The BCM generally monitors evaporator temperature and if freeze-up is not likely - the PCM sends AC request signal to the PCM using serial data circuit.

The PCM monitors AC pressure (in-line sensor) and if sufficient static pressure is present the PCM should enable AC relay to run the compressor.

I don't see a feedback circuit to keep the HVAC controller from turning the AC light ON if static pressure is LOW but I think I would check the pressure before replacing the HVAC controller (unless it can be returned if not the problem).
Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
cajunsand1

far2grumpy thanks for the help. Changed the HVAC today and everything works again. The resistor was not the problem. Apparently the two buttons controling the AC and Recirculate went bad and would not stay engaged. Not sure how those buttons work internally but I will be taking them apart to learn. Was able to get the new HVAC from a junk yard so no big expense this time, but in the future may be able to just replace the buttons on the HVAC circut board. Not sure. Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
far2grumpy thanks for the help. Changed the HVAC today and everything works again. The resistor was not the problem. Apparently the two buttons controling the AC and Recirculate went bad and would not stay engaged. Not sure how those buttons work internally but I will be taking them apart to learn. Was able to get the new HVAC from a junk yard so no big expense this time, but in the future may be able to just replace the buttons on the HVAC circut board. Not sure. Thanks again.
Good for you - there's no doubt in my mind these darn vehicles - all of them - plot and scheme to see how much energy and money they can wring from us.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
mikeexplorer
mikeexplorer is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
2003 VUE 2.4L

This problem appeared today on my '03 VUE. Do you still have the directions to gain access to the board to replace it?

Mike
mikeexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexplorer View Post
This problem appeared today on my '03 VUE. Do you still have the directions to gain access to the board to replace it?

Mike
Mike ... see the attached files - the blower motor is behind the glove box - get in touch if you think of anything else that'd help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - IP Closeout Panel R2.pdf (52.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - HVAC Resistor R2.pdf (122.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #16
mikeexplorer

1994 SL1
2003 VUE 2.4L

Thank you, I will have to order the part first, I saw the link above and the part to order.

Mike
Old 06-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
mikeexplorer

1994 SL1
2003 VUE 2.4L

I purchased the AC Delco blower resistor as described above, Replaced it today and the AC stays on now on all four fan settings. Thank you for your help!

Mike
Old 06-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #18
Emart87
Emart87 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my 2006 vue. A/C only worked on speeds 1&2. I found the blower motor resistor on carparts.com for $20.00. The part came in today and took 20 minutes to install start to finish and now it works on all 4 speeds. I removed the blower motor shield and the glove box to get better access although I think I could have left it in and just remove the cover. The part is right against the firewall right where the carpet ends. One screw was easy to get at the other I had to push the carpet down a little bit, otherwise it was a very easy job
Emart87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #19
Mayora
Mayora is on a distinguished road

Sure is hard to get to, or that one nut up against the wall. Think I got it in some what. AC light on for all 4 settings . Seems to be blowing cold will have to see when it gets hot out again. Thanks for the help.
Mayora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
Larryr
Larryr is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

7/27/19
My 2005 Saturn Vue had the same problem as OP.
Grumpy was right. Blower Motor Resistor
I bought from Amazon for $ 22. Install is tricky as per, but, works fine.
Thanks for the help folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
This type malfunction can be caused by the blower motor resistor network. The network is part of circuit board and is physically mounted on (in) blower motor housing. The blower motor is located behind the glove box.

The card used to cost around $50 US and is a DIY swap-out.

Please repost if you'd like assistance tracking a replacement down and if you'd like procedures to change.
2005 VUE AWD 3.5L V6
Larryr is offline   Reply With Quote