saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
bushkanaka86
bushkanaka86 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Replace Brake Drum Wheel Cylinders

Hello All,

I'm looking at replacing a leaking wheel cylinder on a friend's '99 SL1. The mechanic was doing the required state safety inspection and claims that the rear left cylinder is leaking.

I have never done rear brake work before but I have done a number of my own repairs (thanks to these forums!) Basically I was wondering if there is a good video showing exactly how to do this. I found Richpin's video about doing a rear brake job but he never takes the cylinder off.

The mechanic selected this cylinder from O'Reilly's, which is BrakeBest brand. Do you think this cylinder from Autozone is just as good or should I go with the BrakeBest?

The mechanic also listed on their quote that they will replace the Banjo bolt, part 13940.

Any guides or videos I can follow? Saturn specific is great, but not required!
bushkanaka86 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
bushkanaka86

1997 SL2
Default Re: Replace Brake Drum Wheel Cylinders

I found this video, is this accurate enough to copy for a Saturn?
Old 09-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you've watched Richpins video, you've seen most of the job.

To replace the brake slave cylinder, you need to first of all insure that you can unbolt it from the backplate. You may need to wire brush it down and spray with PB Blaster to help free stuck bolts.

There is a flexible brake hose that connects from the metal pipes on the body to the wheel. I use a pair of vice grips and 2 small pieces of hardboard or similar and clamp it off along the flex hose. Bit like clamping off a blood vessel in an operation, it reduces the flow of brake fluid out and air in, when you disconnect the old cylinder.

Loosening the brake pipe connection to the cylinder is a case of making sure it is clean and if possible use a flared brake pipe wrench. You can pick them up at the auto store for a few bucks.

Once you have the cylinder mounting bolt unbolted and the brake pipe hose hose connection to the cylinder loosened and off, disconnect the cylinder and remove from the back plate. Install the new cylinder and reconnect everything as well disconnecting the vice grip.

When you have re-assembled the brake shoes and springs, you will need to 'bleed' the brake system of air.

Because of the clamping there shouldn't really be much, if any air in the system. The proper procedure for a FULL bleed is start from the further wheel from the master cylinder and wheel by wheel bleed the system. You will normally need a helper to press the brake pedal.

But given the clamping of the flex hose, I reckon you can get away with just bleeding that wheel. I appreciate I have not explained the process of bleeding the brakes.
Hope this helps
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

The previous post is a pretty good description of the job, but I recommend not clamping on the hose to temporarily pinch it closed. Yes, that may make bleeding easier and the whole job less messy, but I believe that pinching can also damage the hose. Damage may not be obvious on the outside after the clamp is removed, but can still be there to cause problems in the future. Isn't the Saturn braking a "diagonal" system (LF paired with RR, RF paired with LR)? If so, whichever rear wheel this is on will inherently be the one furthest from the master-cylinder, so bleeding should be pretty easy no matter if the hose is pinched-off or not.

Oops... I forgot to notice, is this an ABS system? If so, bleeding might be tough no matter how you replace that cylinder; still, pinching a hose isn't a good practice.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
cdxhizors
Advanced Member
cdxhizors has a spectacular aura aboutcdxhizors has a spectacular aura about

1999 SW2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I've got a metric fine threaded nut that fits the bolt for the line.. That's usually how I stop the flow of brake fluid. I did this when I replaced all 4 calipers on my alero. Easy to find in a good sized hardware store. A rubber washer and the nut works fine for over nights when you're waiting for parts.
cdxhizors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

To clamp or not to clamp is not something I want to debate. it is up to each to decide what method they want to use. It works for me, that's all I'm saying.
The important thing is to ensure when you remove the flex hose line from the brake cylinder that you have something to stop fluid leaking from the hose and to stop air getting in. Use a cut finger end off a rubber glove and a rubber band if you want. That's not going to hurt any component and will stop any fluid leaks. Bit fiddly to put on though.
I will say that with flex hoses, we do tend to over look the fact they get old and whilst the rubber may look OK on the outside they may be brittle on the inside and starting to disintegrate.
I have known where they have collapsed internally and ended up clamping the caliper on. That happened to my FIL. Folks then replace the caliper thinking its kaput, when it the flex hose that's blocked. For what they cost, it can be prudent maintenance to replace them periodically.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
bushkanaka86

1997 SL2

So I tried to do this repair but was unsuccessful. First, the banjo bolt holding the brake line required an 11 mm wrench that I didn't have. I was unable to fit a socket in that small space. Is a normal 11 mm wrench okay or is there a specialty tool to get that bolt out?

Second, I was unable to get any tool to grab the 2 bolts holding the cylinder in place. The space is very tight and it seems like they should be 10 mm bolts, but my 10 mm wrench just spun right around them and never grabbed. I was able to get a 9 mm socket to grab them a bit, but couldn't fit the wrench in there. Anyone have a tip for removing those bolts?

I soaked all 3 bolts with PB Blaster but couldn't get any tools to grab them.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Flare wrenches are often recommended for brake jobs due to space limitations. You can buy them in varying sizes from the auto stores, Harbor Freight, etc. prices will vary.
A flare wrench looks like a ring spanner (which is what we call wrenches in the UK) except it has part of the ring omitted. It means the wrench goes most of the way round the nut or bolt and gives greater grip, unlike an open end wrench which can round nuts & bolts. It also allows you to unbolt brake lines.
Here's a link to Autozone flare wrenches. Ther are other sizes available.
http://www.autozone.com/wrenches-pli...nch/10032_0_0/

I haven't done a cylinder replacement on an S series so can't comment from any personal experience. However, you may have to make sure you clean any grunge off the bolt heads at the back and when clean liberally use PB Blaster and let it sit overnight to do its job properly. If the bolt heads are clean and rust free as you can get them you will be able to get a socket over them better. If you are using standard sockets, consider a deep socket which will push the area further back where the socket wrench connect to the socket and thereby you'll have more room. An alternative is use a regular socket plus a small extension, then the socket wrench.

If you intend trying to do more jobs yourself and a) keep costs down and b) get fulfillment from doing them yourself, then you could do worse than invest in something like a Haynes Workshop manual. I always try and buy one for cars we own and they will always pay for themselves many times over.

Hope this helps
Old 09-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A flare wrench grabs more surfaces and better than open ended wrenches. Its probably a wise investment if you anticipate using them. If the wheel cylinder bolts seized, heat from a torch may help, concentrating heat onto the bolt head. If the bolts are rounded off and wrenches won't fit, Google for bolt extractors for what you need. Once you size up the problems and have a good idea of tools needed to break loose these bolts, try Autozone's tool loaner program and see if they have these tools for loan. Not only is this a great way to borrow tools but a way to save on tools not needed.

Here's the file and pictures reprinted from the service manual. No recommendations on tools to use but at least torque values are given.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheel Cylinder Replacement.jpg (86.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg wheel cylinder replacement-1.jpg (199.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg wheel cylinder replacement-2.jpg (127.8 KB, 11 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote