SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 08-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
lost2a6
lost2a6 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Random misfire codes

Need help please. I have acquired a 2001 L300. I'm having several problems. I'm getting random misfire codes (don't remember which ones). The car runs like crap at idle however once you give it some gas it seems to clear up and hit on all 6 cylinders. The service engine soon light along with the wrench light are both on. Both bank coil packs have been replaced along with spark plugs and intake gaskets. My gas and temp gauges will stop reading intermittently along with the tach and sometimes the speedometer. The ABS light also comes on. What is weird is when the temp gauge is working and the ABS light decides to come on, and then the temp gauge will stop working. I originally thought that it was a ground problem however every ground that I have checked seems to be ok. I've cleaned the battery terminals along with the grounds on the fender apron. At first, the car was running decent and just having the SES light come on and at which time my brother in law went to clear the codes with the engine running, it then died and when he restarted it, is when it really started running bad. I can pull the ECM fuse and the relay on the left kick panel and it seems to make no difference in the way that it runs. I can also disconnect the camshaft sensor and it seems to run the same. At one point, I disconnected the TCM harness and my gauges worked, the car idled, and cranked better however I wasn't able to reproduce that theory with the same results. We first started having problems with the trans shifting funny at which time my mother in law took it to a transmission shop and they replaced the transmission. After the trans was replaced, it would still shift funny every now and then which leads me to believe there was nothing wrong with the original one. At this point, I'm wondering if the ECM or ignition switch is bad.
lost2a6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Random misfire codes

Mileage? Alternator output checked?
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
lost2a6

Has around 120,000 miles and I'll check the alternator output, however it spins over fine. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
lost2a6

I also forgot to mention that the key fob doesn't work, and a code scanner will not turn off the SES light. The code scanner also read something about losing communication with the ECM. The more I read older posts, the more I'm leaning towards a bad BCM. I just hope that the BCM would fix the bad running condition.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Early L200's/L300's suffered bcm failures search past threads about them; the instrument panel is driven by the bcm as well as run the lighting system, factory theft deterrent system, remote keyless entry, and many other functions not related to engine management. The alternator check will help eliminate this from causing major voltage issues if its faulty; standing battery voltage - 12.5v, engine idling - 13.3v+, above idling - 14.3v+. Any less voltage may be either the alternator or loose belt drive. The battery's only job is to supply the large currents needed for the starter. The alternator supplies all the electrical needs of the car once the engine is running but alternators do fail in ways that can over charge a battery or supply less voltage/current that causes the battery to be used.

The bcm is also the main conduit for all the mini-pc's for diagnostics, error codes, and OBD II communications to a reader/scanner. The worst failure for a bcm is if the Passlock theft deterrent system becomes enabled and prevents starting up the engine, requiring a tow to GM while the 'possessed' car flashes all its lights and blows the horn..............

The bcm won't affect engine running as this may be a separate issue from the bcm. Perhaps a throttle body cleaning along with cleaning the mass air flow (MAF) sensor may help if they were never serviced. You have a drive-by-wire system that's either totally reliable or faulty. The clamps to seal the air intake tube between the maf sensor and throttle body must be fastened correctly otherwise any vacuum leak here will disrupt air/fuel management and cause erratic engine running issues.
VCX NANO
Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
lost2a6

Ok, here's the latest. Battery volts with the car off and the dome light on was 12.30. With the engine running, it went up to 14.2-14.3. The good news is I cleaned the MAP sensor and it seems to be running 100% better! I feel that the misfire problem at idle has went away. Now I need to address the BCM problem. Big Thank You!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

VCX NANO
Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
treblehook
treblehook will become famous soon enough

timeing belt.........
treblehook is offline   Reply With Quote